URGENT: Anyone with experience setting up Koetsu Stone Body on a Graham Phantom Supre

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the 10". The problem is that the Koetsu Blue Lace is very long. We can't really get it to sit far enough back to work with any of the protractors. I have the rounded head on my Graham if that matters.

It's no longer than a Coralstone..or any other stone body for that matter (unless I am mistaken) Expect those carts in the Graham headshell to be very near the back of it. I have an older football style Phantom II (elliptical) headshell in addition to the more modern Supreme/Elite head shells. I would recommend you get a Supreme arm rather than the older Phantom II football armwand if in fact that is what you have. If you are using the top line Koetsu, you owe it to your cart to have the top line Grahma arm (Elite) or the second in line...Supreme.

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
It's no longer than a Coralstone..or any other stone body for that matter (unless I am mistaken) Expect those carts in the Graham headshell to be very near the back of it. I have an older football style Phantom II (elliptical) headshell in addition to the more modern Supreme/Elite head shells. I would recommend you get a Supreme arm rather than the older Phantom II football armwand if in fact that is what you have. If you are using the top line Koetsu, you owe it to your cart to have the top line Grahma arm (Elite) or the second in line...Supreme.

We're grasping at straws at this point, but I guess it is possible that I bought a 10" but received a 9" and never knew.

With the wand removed, my arm is measuring about 8.5" from the tip of the headshell to the end of the arm. It does, however, have "XL-10" printed on the underside of the arm wand.

So can anyone confirm thatvthis is indeed a 10" arm so we can cross that possibility off our list?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
We're grasping at straws at this point, but I guess it is possible that I bought a 10" but received a 9" and never knew.

With the wand removed, my arm is measuring about 8.5" from the tip of the headshell to the end of the arm. It does, however, have "XL-10" printed on the underside of the arm wand.

So can anyone confirm thatvthis is indeed a 10" arm so we can cross that possibility off our list?

Xl10 is the 10" arm. It should be a red colored jig. Your head shell on the wand sounds like the old style...if it's oval. Supreme arms should have an offset square-ish head shell. You never said which Graham arm model you have....

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Xl10 is the 10" arm. It should be a red colored jig. Your head shell on the wand sounds like the old style...if it's oval. Supreme arms should have an offset square-ish head shell. You never said which Graham arm model you have....

I have the Phantom Supreme II. The headshell is oval.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
View attachment 19109

This is an example on a standard Phantom II arm with a blue jig

That is the correct wand head shell shape for the Supreme. Come to think of it, I was an early adopter of the Supreme and it came with the football wand...which is not offset ideally for the mounting slots (cartridge twist). I did not have Koetsu at the time. No issues for Koetsu on the proper Supreme head shell that is offset like the photo above. I suspect it's possible the Koetsu is too long for the football.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, we got the Koetsu aligned but it sounded like garbage in my system. Not sure why. Big bummer though. I was hoping for some magic, but it sounded terrible. We tried it directly into the Shindo Vosne Romanee pre amp and my A23 SUT. It sounded better to me in the SUT, but still not very good. :(

Hi bgupton,

Sorry to hear about that but in the many years I have installed (simply with a Dennesen Soundtracktor) virtually all models of the Koetsu line, I have never heard one that sounded close to horrible, even without SUTs (majority did not have SUTs), just a phono stage with MC output. I have come to believe that the 'Koetsu magic' is always there no matter what gears are used and such had always been the case in my experience. Your dealer should be able to take care of the problem if it is still evident. Send it back to Japan and Sugano san should be able to see the trouble. The only issue I have ever heard from a customer was constant mistracking all throughout and it was fixed by Koetsu. Hope all becomes well.

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
What color is your jig ? Is it blue or red ?

It is blue, but this seems kinda irrelevant since we also had the Mint protractor specifically made for my table/arm combo. The problem with the Graham jig, in my & my setup guy's opinion, is that it has a bit of movement and side-to-side give. For something that needs to be very precise, that's not great.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It is blue, but this seems kinda irrelevant since we also had the Mint protractor specifically made for my table/arm combo. The problem with the Graham jig, in my & my setup guy's opinion, is that it has a bit of movement and side-to-side give. For something that needs to be very precise, that's not great.

Just so you know, if your wand is XL 10", the Blue jig is meant for the 9" wand. Even when I got my first Supreme (early adopter), I noticed that (given the blue one) and was ordered a red 10" jig. The Blue jig will not align a 10 inch arm correctly. Yes there is some movement, but you can still get it very close on zenith angle.

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Just so you know, if your wand is XL 10", the Blue jig is meant for the 9" wand. Even when I got my first Supreme (early adopter), I noticed that (given the blue one) and was ordered a red 10" jig. The Blue jig will not align a 10 inch arm correctly. Yes there is some movement, but you can still get it very close on zenith angle.

Thanks! By the way, what kind of break-in time did your Corralstone require? I'm wondering if at least some of this is due to the cartridge being so new.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks! By the way, what kind of break-in time did your Corralstone require? I'm wondering if at least some of this is due to the cartridge being so new.

The Coralstone sounded great from the get go. Obviously better with 50 or more hours. If you aligned the 10" wand with the blue jig, that will definitely be an issue. It is not your cart. Something is going on with the alignment. Bottom line, use a 10" (Red) jig and use the arm wand with the graham spindle cup to get your pivot to spindle distance right...bag the mint and feikert for this arm.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Coralstone sounded great from the get go. Obviously better with 50 or more hours. If you aligned the 10" wand with the blue jig, that will definitely be an issue. It is not your cart. Something is going on with the alignment. Bottom line, use a 10" (Red) jig and use the arm wand with the graham spindle cup to get your pivot to spindle distance right...bag the mint and feikert for this arm.

I don't understand why the Mint tractor would not be the most accurate unless the the pivot to spindle distance is wrong on the Mint. What is the P to S distance for a 10" Phantom?

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA

Well, using the 10" Red jig isn't an option since I don't have it. :)

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I don't understand why the Mint tractor would not be the most accurate unless the the pivot to spindle distance is wrong on the Mint. What is the P to S distance for a 10" Phantom?

Yeah, I don't get that either, unless it's because I'm using the football shaped armwand. Maybe the Mint was made assuming it was the other wand.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yeah, I don't get that either, unless it's because I'm using the football shaped armwand. Maybe the Mint was made assuming it was the other wand.

Could be. I Googled the P2S distance for the 10" arm, it is 229.4mm. What does it say on your Mint tractor? It should be printed on it. If it's not the same then you have the wrong one.

Here is an old thread on Audiogon that discusses your issue. Maybe it will help. http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1312058368&openflup&105&4#105

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
As mentioned before in this thread, your P2S distance could be off as well. Do you have an adjustable arm board or the fixed kind? If your setup guy has a Feickert tool then he should be able to check the distance to make sure it is correct.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The Coralstone sounded great from the get go. Obviously better with 50 or more hours. If you aligned the 10" wand with the blue jig, that will definitely be an issue. It is not your cart. .

My Coralstone sounded great right out of the box as well. I have now about 60hr. on it and it's the most amazing sound I've heard!!

Frank is here

Nov 13, 2013
Agree the Coralstone is a wow from the beginning....
As Rocketman and others are telling you.....please do it with the Graham items...if not available order, wait and then enjoy what you have and are striving for....
Is your mint [and other] protractor for a 10"....I will strongly guess it is not.......
Again...we all appreciate your pain.....but please confirm and then start with the correct tools...I your tech is not knowledgable with this and a 10" wand he is simply wasting your time and using you for his experiments...if he damages something....who pays...again I will assume he will be long gone....I really hope I am wrong and am miss judging him and you.....
You have spent hard earned and I am sure deserved money on fantastic products that many would die for.....please take advantage of your own privilege ...do it right and enjoy....... you deserve it.......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing