Magico S or Magico Q?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Has anyone directly compared similar models in both lines? How do the S3 and Q3 compare, for example? A dealer once told me that he thought the S1 is closer in sound to the Q1 than the S5 is to the Q5. What differences did you hear and why did you choose one line over the other? Both lines have their fans, but I'd like to hear from actual owners and what factors led to their decisions.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Has anyone directly compared similar models in both lines? How do the S3 and Q3 compare, for example? A dealer once told me that he thought the S1 is closer in sound to the Q1 than the S5 is to the Q5. What differences did you hear and why did you choose one line over the other? Both lines have their fans, but I'd like to hear from actual owners and what factors led to their decisions.

Great post. Terry likes the S. Females. I hope this gets legs.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
S5 vrs Q3 (S3 wasn't available at purchase time )

I listened to the Q3s and really loved them- incredibly quiet, detailed, superb imaging, but less bass than I was used to. I listen to a lot of rock, blues, electronic, alternative and some jazz and vocals. I ended up choosing the S5s due to my music preference, and my love of a little more bass plus the need for grill covers for the occasional pet/ child visit. I haven't regretted the decision EXCEPT when I hear some of the music I auditioned the Q3 with, like Vampire Weekend' latest. The silence between musical notes and overall detail of the Q series is really incredible- you won't forget the sound, whether you love it or not- it is different and captivating IMHO. Please note, I like many speakers, and enjoy Wilson, Vandersteen, B&W, YG , and many more for what they bring to the table. None of these come close to sounding like the Q3s. I really would love to hear the M Project. Bet it's unreal. ( I wish you could combine the Q3's quietness and detail with the S5's bass, and I could afford it:) )
To keep this civil among other speaker owners, please let me add I love Wilson and YG speakers, and could easily live with either and sleep well. They both bring great things to the listener, and each have their strengths. Didn't want to be misunderstood that one speaker manufacture is better than another, or has the corner on accurate sound.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I listened to the Q3s and really loved them- incredibly quiet, detailed, superb imaging, but less bass than I was used to. I listen to a lot of rock, blues, electronic, alternative and some jazz and vocals. I ended up choosing the S5s due to my music preference, and my love of a little more bass plus the need for grill covers for the occasional pet/ child visit. I haven't regretted the decision EXCEPT when I hear some of the music I auditioned the Q3 with, like Vampire Weekend' latest. The silence between musical notes and overall detail of the Q series is really incredible- you won't forget the sound, whether you love it or not- it is different and captivating IMHO. Please note, I like many speakers, and enjoy Wilson, Vandersteen, B&W, YG , and many more for what they bring to the table. None of these come close to sounding like the Q3s. I really would love to hear the M Project. Bet it's unreal. ( I wish you could combine the Q3's quietness and detail with the S5's bass, and I could afford it:) )

Sounds like Q3's with sub(s) would have been an interesing altenative.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I haven't listened to the Q series, but did listen to the Ultimate. While the Ultimate effortlessly filled the Magico listening room with ultra clear and precise sound, at the end of the day I like my S5s better. While the Ultimate sounded great, I do not care for its appearance. Plus they cost to much. :)

I would like to hear the new Q7 someday, but I am afraid if I do then I will spend more retirement savings, and that is not a good thing.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Blatant Commercial -

An open invitation to anyone that happens to be in NYC visiting or that lives in the general NYC area. At Rhapsody, the only NY Magico dealer, we have both the S3 and the Q3 available with or without subs available for demonstration. Come in for a spin (vinyl that is, cd's if you must) and develop your own opinion.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sounds like Q3's with sub(s) would have been an interesing altenative.

Possibly, but didn't want to get that involved in sub integration and crossovers plus sub $. Interesting to see what the new Q3 sounds like.

Hi

I had an interesting experience the other day. A friend of mine has a system with IB subwoofer that go deep in the 10's with less than 3% distortion ... at 20 Hz and 100 dB THD is lesa than 3% in this subwoffer array , (Stereo subs with 4 18 inch Bluepprint dirvers and 4 Kw/ch) ... Strangely 20 Hz with low THD is almost inaudible ... Wall will flex the room will shake but it will be mostly felt not heard ..Add some distortion, 2nd and 3rd especially at say 5% and there will be recognizable sound We tested adding some 2nd harmonics at 10% to the system and yes you could hear something but it wasn't the 20 Hz fundamental, rather the easier for our ears to decode 40 Hz, 2nd harmonic distortion and 60 Hz, 3rd harmonics.

Why this anecdote? The Magico extremely low distortion will make it sound more bass-shy that many celebrated speakers with more distortion in the bass region. I would venture that most audiophiles are not used to such low distortion in the bass and mid-bass. I very much like the Q3 . The Q3 bass is good, very good. I found myself however yearning for a bass that would be subjectively as good as the rest of the spectrum because people! The Q3 is one of the best sounding speaker I have heard. In my book most speakers need a sub in most people rooms. The Q3 too, especially with such a low coloration everywhere in its range.

My points.

Integration with a sub is not plug-and-play. it is not however the impossibility that many think or made of it. it is eminently feasible but requires:
That you learn about Audio and small room acoustics. Most audiophiles do have an understanding of those anyway, for bass it requires a little more reading and learning...
That you learn to measure your room ( very inexpensive to do that, but the learning curve can/is be steeper than usual.
That you push aside the prejudice many have against DSP. I could venture a say that optimal subwoofer integration requires DSP.

I haven't heard the combo but I do know that Q3 + serious SubS (emphasis on PLURAL not a typo) can be the piece of heaven most audiophiles are yearning for...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing