Best Duo/Duet music that you enjoy

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Was browsing on Youtube for songs from The Civil Wars and landed on a rendition of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. If you have not heard of The Civil Wars, it is a duo of Joy Williams and John Paul White. They have won four Grammys but sadly disbanded last year. Anyway, take a listen and see how Joy steps in and steals the show with that sultry and luscious approach to this track. John Paul White plays a critical role also, bringing the "straight man" to the picture and solid foundation for her to take the track to the next level. She sings out of sync with him but yet, her improvisations and emotions take what would have been a nice tune to the next level. Truly 1+1 here is a 4. Quite a departure from two singing in harmony.

The track "tip of my tongue" is another such example at the beginning of this full-length live concert in New Orleans:

Hope you enjoy and post videos of your favorite Duos/their best tracks.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Impromptu

Impromptu
Tony Overwater & Bert van den Brink
Sound quality and interplay and atmosphere....amazing album....two is all you need.
The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
link; http://www.soundliaison.com/

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hinch

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Jack and Meg White

Judy Collins and Leonard Cohen

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'm still partial to Warnes' movie soundtrack duets!

APP

Oct 1, 2014
My pleasure.
Here is one more duo with Kenny Barron, this time with Charlie Haden. Maybe not as good SQ as the Tony Overwater/Bert van den Brink download but on a musical level it is just as enjoyable.

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
I'm a big fan of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. They have five discs out and they're all great. Sound pretty good too.

Miss Ohio

Elvis Presley Blues

oceancall

Jun 2, 2013
I love that duet by George Jones and Tammy Wynette; their most famous hit and perhaps their greatest song was "Golden Ring".

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
From the desert island disc 'Elis & Tom'

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Here is an odd pairing that shouldn't work but does: Mark Lanegan (Queens of the Stone Age, Mad Season, Gutter Twins) and Isobel Campbell (Belle & Sebastian). "Hawk" is my favorite of their LPs...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Helen Merrill and Ron Carter ?– Duets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing