Entreq for Dummies

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I realize there's a post about the Entreq grounding/power products. At nearly 1,300 posts and growing, I find it a bit too much to wade through to better understand their solution. I'm hoping this thread can better serve those of us looking to take the Entreq plunge.

Specifically, I'd like to see a better summary of the purpose of each of the products, a typical bang-for-the-buck roadmap for adding the various pieces, and maybe some thoughts on how to know if you're likely to see substantial gains or not.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mossback

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I realize there's a post about the Entreq grounding/power products. At nearly 1,300 posts and growing, I find it a bit too much to wade through to better understand their solution. I'm hoping this thread can better serve those of us looking to take the Entreq plunge.

Specifically, I'd like to see a better summary of the purpose of each of the products, a typical bang-for-the-buck roadmap for adding the various pieces, and maybe some thoughts on how to know if you're likely to see substantial gains or not.

Thanks!

Yes there are a lot of posts!
Start with a Silver Tellus grounding box and a minimum of two grounding cables to amp and preamp or amp and cd player if using an integrated. Silver earth cables are a good starting point but Apollo are usually better.
Try that and if it works look to ground your other sources.
That is the best starting point in my experience.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks!

Don't they have a dealer or distributor you can ask? I find that these guys are the best sources of info. They earn a living making these products work in your syst. They are not the enemy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes there are a lot of posts!
Start with a Silver Tellus grounding box and a minimum of two grounding cables to amp and preamp or amp and cd player if using an integrated. Silver earth cables are a good starting point but Apollo are usually better.
Try that and if it works look to ground your other sources.
That is the best starting point in my experience.

+1...totally agree

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Barry and LL21. I personally hear what you are saying but I think what he is asking is a basic summary of why with the products you both just mentioned may be an advancement to his system. What benefit would each component mentioned have and why would he even need them to start with?

Peter, with all due respect, isn't this the point of a discussion forum.....for those to learn and become educated, perhaps prior to going in and asking a dealer/distributor questions that may or may not be "truthful" with an answer? Gotta remember, not everybody on this forum is on the same level as you. ;)

Please forgive me if I am incorrect in my assumption, bgupton. :)

Tom

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hello, Barry and LL21. I personally hear what you are saying but I think what he is asking is a basic summary of why with the products you both just mentioned may be an advancement to his system. What benefit would each component mentioned have and why would he even need them to start with?

Peter, with all due respect, isn't this the point of a discussion forum.....for those to learn and become educated, perhaps prior to going in and asking a dealer/distributor questions that may or may not be "truthful" with an answer? Gotta remember, not everybody on this forum is on the same level as you. ;)

Tom

I suppose my reply could be seen as the laziness of a convert but my aim was to keep it simple and on I trust the reasonable assumption that a dealer is accessible who would arrange a home demo. And without spending mega bucks.
The foundation of the Entreq range is the grounding boxes and starting with anything other than the Silver Tellus is in my experience a false economy. I have only added a Receivus which is most effective on top of an amplifier but it still needs a grounding box and should be seen as a second stage upgrade.Similarly the wraps, and the Powerus and the Cleanus are power distribution and power filters which make sense if you have poor mains supply.
Most if not all of us who have gone down the Entreq grounding road have started as I suggested. The benefits are usually immediately apparent and the full benefits in the first 48 hours, Substantially reduced noise floor, more transparency and ease and more music. In my experience a no brainer and a must audition.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Tom

Good point, Tom.

But the dealer may really know his stuff. Talk to him (her) and share it here. Without his (her) input we are flying solo and blind. Then we can be the judge.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
bgupton,

We are very fortunate to have John Tverdik, Operations Manager,Stillpoints(Entreq's US Distributor) as a memeber of WBF.

Here's a very informative post he made in the Entreq grounding/power products thread:

"Since I own the Shunyata and it works famously in my system, any evals were done with it in the system in an effort to have the 2 solutions integrate. I did not have success with the preamp. If you read further back in the thread, you'll note where I write about the Berning preamp and amp I am using not being constructed with insulated RCA jacks. This effectually ties the chassis ground and signal plane ground together. Therefore, my Shunyata components and cords already address the signal plane. Adding the Entreq did not produce a positive effect. Prior to purchasing the Shunyata, I tested the Entreq solution a year or more ago. Though it had a positive effect, it wasn't even close to what the Shunyata components provide in my system. I don't have a clue as to why this is the case. Sure, I'd like to understand more about why I am experiencing those results, but in the end I always let my ears guide me and don't lose sleep over those things no one seems able to explain."

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Don't they have a dealer or distributor you can ask? I find that these guys are the best sources of info. They earn a living making these products work in your syst. They are not the enemy.

in this case I think it's a mistake to accept the recommendation of a dealer or even the distributor; with all due respect to those guys.

in my case I had to ask my Stillpoint dealer to get the Entreq gear to begin with, and then he got some 'bad' initial info from the distributor. these people simply don't have the deep experience with this product that the users have. unfortunately; it will take some time and patience to wade into the information and get some clear specific recommendations from those who have actually spent time with it.

you need to find someone who's sonic compass is known to you who has Entreq and listen to what they have to say.

otherwise just buy a Silver Tellus, a couple of either Eartha Apollo or Eartha Atlantis cables, and then try them one on each channel on an unused (RCA or XLR) input on your preamp then connected to the Silver Tellus. that is step one. listen for a couple of weeks then pull it out.

did it make a valuable difference to you?

if not; pass.

if so you are now Entreq'ing!

and go from there.

note; my Stillpoint dealer is one of the smartest guys I know in High End audio and quite the audio tweaker. my comments are not in any way saying he is not knowledgeable. same with the distributor. it's only in this case there is no substitute for time spent.....since experience with other products has no bearing on this product. and maybe in the last 3-4 months there are dealers who have dived deep into this. but back in October 14' they had not.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agree w/Mike. Every system is different, but it seems the one consistent thing is that Entreq'ing the preamp is the best place to start. I would head straight to Silver Tellus and Apollo ground leads. W/a standard preamp, one Apollo should be fine. If it's dual mono like mine, get a pair of Apollos. Connect Apollo/Apollo's to spare rca/rca's or xlr/xlr's. Sit back, and do not analyse. Let the music wash over you. And see how you feel after 1-3 songs, a whole session, 24-48 hrs later, 1-2 wks later. Then disconnect, and reappraise.
You'll know if it's for you at this point. I was sold third song in.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Like John's preamp, the chassis ground and signal plane ground on my integraded amp are tied together.

A Silver Tellus and Apollo cables did not produce a positive effect after 1-3 songs, a whole session, 24-48 hours, or 2 weeks later.

Disconnected, reappraised and returned for a refund.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think the OP who started this thread just killed Marty

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA
in this case I think it's a mistake to accept the recommendation of a dealer or even the distributor; with all due respect to those guys.

in my case I had to ask my Stillpoint dealer to get the Entreq gear to begin with, and then he got some 'bad' initial info from the distributor. these people simply don't have the deep experience with this product that the users have. unfortunately; it will take some time and patience to wade into the information and get some clear specific recommendations from those who have actually spent time with it.

you need to find someone who's sonic compass is known to you who has Entreq and listen to what they have to say.

otherwise just buy a Silver Tellus, a couple of either Eartha Apollo or Eartha Atlantis cables, and then try them one on each channel on an unused (RCA or XLR) input on your preamp then connected to the Silver Tellus. that is step one. listen for a couple of weeks then pull it out.

did it make a valuable difference to you?

if not; pass.

if so you are now Entreq'ing!

and go from there.

note; my Stillpoint dealer is one of the smartest guys I know in High End audio and quite the audio tweaker. my comments are not in any way saying he is not knowledgeable. same with the distributor. it's only in this case there is no substitute for time spent.....since experience with other products has no bearing on this product. and maybe in the last 3-4 months there are dealers who have dived deep into this. but back in October 14' they had not.

Thanks. I did contact a dealer. He was helpful, but I always prefer to round out dealer advice from people with real-world experience with a product who don't have a financial interest at stake. :)

Shinpong

Mar 13, 2015
Bangkok Thailand
Dear, I am Entreq Thailand Distributor has nothing with you in term of financial gain from advising you since you are not in Thailand. Can I know some info about your system?
Such as Source(CD) > Pre-Amp > 2 MonoBlock Power Amp? Or Source CD> Integrated Amp? I recommend you audience with Silver Minimus + Ertha Apollo at your source, and Ertha Challenger at your pre-amp or integrated amp. Add a Lynx Feet into your Source I recommend, unless it is Esoteric, which already have kind of great Feet.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I find it ironic that I still have no clue what the Entreq is, what it does and why it's related to audio in any way.

Shinpong

Mar 13, 2015
Bangkok Thailand
What Entreq has to do with audio component.....

I agree with MadFloyd. I clicked on this thread hoping to read one post that explains what this thing is.

Dear Sir, I am glad you guys asked. Enterq stands for Energy transforming Equipment with transform Electric Energy into Thermo Energy at real time when is in used.
In Electronic component which has more than one switch, there is always "Stray Current" in every component that you use. The "Stray Current" which is a kind of pure electric energy that is in your audio component will attract most kind of noise such as Electro-Magnetic-Field, or and Radio Frequency Interference into your audio component which later it would drain throughout the AC ground after it has already been effected the performance of your component. Therefore, this is where Entreq comes in help or perhaps a big help. While Grounding Directly from your component Using Entreq Ground Box, what happen is that the "Stray Current" will be pulled out immediately into Entreq Ground Box which is fast enough to pull away the "Stray Current" out of your component before the EMI or RFI or any kind of interference being attracted by "Stray Current" which might causes negative effect to the performance of your component. What will happen is that the sound of your component will improve due to that "Stray Current" is taken away out of your component quickly and the inner part of your component become "clearer in most parts" which lead to better impact, more hi-fidelity etc. This phenomenon happen real time 24/7, therefore although you have good grounding system through your AC would not help improve your system performance as much as Entreq because, the "Stray Current" that go out through AC cord into the wall socket grounding point is never fast enough to drain away "Stray Current" before it actually could effect the performance of your audio component.
I hope this can give some idea why Entreq ground box could help although you guy might already have good grounding system through your wall socket.
Thank You
SN

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Add me to the list of people that still have no clue as to what it is or does.

An explanation using field theory (rather challenging) or circuit theory would be helpful.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Dear Sir, I am glad you guys asked. Enterq stands for Energy transforming Equipment with transform Electric Energy into Thermo Energy at real time when is in used.
In Electronic component which has more than one switch, there is always "Stray Current" in every component that you use. The "Stray Current" which is a kind of pure electric energy that is in your audio component will attract most kind of noise such as Electro-Magnetic-Field, or and Radio Frequency Interference into your audio component which later it would drain throughout the AC ground after it has already been effected the performance of your component. Therefore, this is where Entreq comes in help or perhaps a big help. While Grounding Directly from your component Using Entreq Ground Box, what happen is that the "Stray Current" will be pulled out immediately into Entreq Ground Box which is fast enough to pull away the "Stray Current" out of your component before the EMI or RFI or any kind of interference being attracted by "Stray Current" which might causes negative effect to the performance of your component. What will happen is that the sound of your component will improve due to that "Stray Current" is taken away out of your component quickly and the inner part of your component become "clearer in most parts" which lead to better impact, more hi-fidelity etc. This phenomenon happen real time 24/7, therefore although you have good grounding system through your AC would not help improve your system performance as much as Entreq because, the "Stray Current" that go out through AC cord into the wall socket grounding point is never fast enough to drain away "Stray Current" before it actually could effect the performance of your audio component.
I hope this can give some idea why Entreq ground box could help although you guy might already have good grounding system through your wall socket.
Thank You
SN

Thanks Shinpong.
Very helpful explanation and far better than what I could have said.
I have been an enthusiastic Entreq user for getting on three years - two Silver Tellus, one Atlantis ground box to boost them. Atlantis and Apollo ground cables plus a Silver for the av amp, a Receivus on the Vitus SIA 025 amp and a Silver Minimus for the Challenger speakers cables. Balanced Apoloo i/cs which are tremendous and a mixture of Challenger 3V, Challenger and Konstantin power cables.
The rest of my system is listed in my profile.
I am delighted with all the Entreq products ability to remove the hash and expose beautifully resolved and musical reproduction and to faithfully convey the emotion and feeling of the music and the singers.
As far as I am concerned the grounding products really are a cost effective no brainer and their cables in conjunction with the grounding boxes make music sound like music and not a scientific approximation of real music.
Hope you sell tons of them to your customers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing