Whats the best audio forum?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Like buttons add another reply and take up space in the thread view with a message layer. Plus, IMHO they are for folks who are too lazy to write something cool. Just saying. This ain't Facebook :)

I don't have Facebook. Like button seems to work very well on the Hoffman forum and that has the most patronage.

If you don't have something cool to say does not mean you can't like a post. Sometimes it is not necessary. You would would prefer the +1 post? In the music section the !ike button is good when you like someone's choice.

BTW, seems rather lazy just pasting videos from ones web site rather than writing something cool - just saying.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
You can't watch a like.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I agree with the members who said NO LIKE BUTTON.

If you have something to say one way or the other, say it. Don't hit a button. The like button is also is not specific to exactly what the "liker" liked in the post.

What's a facebook?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good afternoon gentlemen. Here at the WBF, we already have a "like" button and we do encourage our members to use it. While it is not for a specific post, it can be used to "like" a thread or thread topic. For those who do not know where this is located, please click onto this link and without scrolling down, look directly below the "+Reply to Thread" tab. You will see that the Facebook "like" link has already been there in a dark blue colored tab.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14129-Desert-island-R2R-1-4-quot-2-track-master-player

FWIW, :)

Tom

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hello and good afternoon gentlemen. Here at the WBF, we already have a "like" button and we do encourage our members to use it. While it is not for a specific post, it can be used to "like" a thread or thread topic. For those who do not know where this is located, please click onto this link and without scrolling down, look directly below the "+Reply to Thread" tab. You will see that the Facebook "like" link has already been there in a dark blue colored tab.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14129-Desert-island-R2R-1-4-quot-2-track-master-player

FWIW, :)

Tom

I don't use facebook, nor do I want to facebook like.

Liking an entire thread is pretty useless imo

but, thanks anyway.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
But that's a FB like, not a WBF like. Also, it's there to promote the site.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
well...that makes two of us!:D

Make that three. I had an account, but I deleted it.

Linked In is getting like FB, by the way. People I never heard of want me to link with them. I haven't figured that one out, yet.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I have Mosin......and I have no interest, even though it's associated with business. If you are a client of mine? I want a consistent and quickly found document trail without crossing borders. If you are a friend? You know where to find me via many channels. With FB, I have many friends (carefully chosen) and no issues so far...

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
WBF is really the only true Audio forum I frequent. I stopped going to AVS, Audioholics, AudioKarma and a few others years ago. I just couldn't deal with the bullshit over there. I found them to be needlessly aggressive an opinionated. WBF is certainly the best of the bunch and it's level of expertise by industry types and experienced audiophiles is really quite unmatched. It is not without its problems however and I do find there to be a slow but ever-increasing amount of snobbery and pretentiousness coming out. Also, how many more threads do we need on grounding or isolation solutions that cost more than the average car, and people debating the minutest of details. Yawn! Is this what audio is all about? In general the site is becoming much more a place for the 1%ers.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Win,

FB can be fun if you use it judiciously. I tend to use it for audio, new music and some family things. My wife uses it to keep in touch with old friends and reconnect with long lost ones. She also likes to share family moments. Neither of us collect "friends" who are strangers. I find i learn a lot with some of my friends and mostly pass over the other stuff. I generally don't post much but I do comment on other's posts that I find interesting.

Linked In seems to be getting a lot more marketing and headhunter types trying to link. I hear a lot of people are using it for job placement but as i am in a non standard job it only works as a rolodex for me.

Beau

Make that three. I had an account, but I deleted it.

Linked In is getting like FB, by the way. People I never heard of want me to link with them. I haven't figured that one out, yet.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hi my name is Mike and I have an audio addiction problem

Everybody repeat after me "Hi Mike"

I will never get past the denial step so we must move forward

I love this site, the mellowness of it and the information here.

Right now I am just getting lost in reading up on all the information here.

Also if you can catch Amir when he is cooking I urge you to stop in the store!

And we are all a bunch of wing nut nerds to be into it this this deep, but it is better than a lot of other addictions!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

And we are all a bunch of wing nut nerds to be into it this this deep, but it is better than a lot of other addictions!

Hi Mike :D

Welcome. You will find that we are more than an Audio forum ... We often discuss food blenders or fish tanks ... or cars or bikes or exercises gears or ...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Hehe :). We love addicts of all kinds. :D

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
Well, as long as they're not total HOAXES like the one the ubiquitously "banned" character on all these forums is behind [and is running]!;)
"He" is a troll bot created by Harman International and does not even exist in real life (the online profile pics of his are all *entirely* photoshopped concoctions:eek:: no "Emmy" award --- base inscription is covered up in a pixelated black splotch!???; guy's facial features DON'T even have the same skin tone as his ears!???; fake "storefront" picture on social media pretending to be his Home Theater business --- there's all digital hash around where the sign and window displays were "added in"!???; and, in the picture showing him being "presented the Emmy": the cuffs of the suit aren't even the same color as the sleeves!???).o_O
This should be public knowledge because they are actively soliciting donations over there.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
WBF is really the only true Audio forum I frequent. I stopped going to AVS, Audioholics, AudioKarma and a few others years ago. I just couldn't deal with the bullshit over there. I found them to be needlessly aggressive an opinionated. WBF is certainly the best of the bunch and it's level of expertise by industry types and experienced audiophiles is really quite unmatched. It is not without its problems however and I do find there to be a slow but ever-increasing amount of snobbery and pretentiousness coming out. Also, how many more threads do we need on grounding or isolation solutions that cost more than the average car, and people debating the minutest of details. Yawn! Is this what audio is all about? In general the site is becoming much more a place for the 1%ers.

This is the only audio thread I read now, having been reading most of them for up to 30 years. In the UK, meaningful forum content has almost disappeared and, as Johnny says, the bullshit in most US forums is rampant - WBF avoids most of it but is still regrettably fuelled by snobbery and pretentiousness. If someone could be minded to do it, I suspect you would find a high level of correlation between the number of post in a thread on a new mains cable (for example) and the cost of that cable. Regrettable but almost inevitable in a hobby where the size of the interested population has decreased significantly and the average wealth of those remaining has done the opposite.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing