Adequate Amplifier to Drive Magnepan Mini-Desktop system or .7's...?...

Synergisticone

Feb 21, 2015
To Whom it May be of Interest:

I am very much interested in acquiring either a Magnepan Mini-Desktop system, (preferably with a DWM), or a .7 stereo pair, also with one or two DWM's. I have also recently acquired a Schiit Audio Ragnarok headphone / speaker amplifier with the following specs:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-300KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 4 ohms: 100W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 8 ohms: 60W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 15W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 10W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1.7W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel
THD: Less than 0.006%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: Less than 0.008%, CCIR at 1V RMS, high gain mode (worst case)
SNR: More than 103db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, in gain = 1 mode
Crosstalk: Less than -80dB, 20Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: 0.03 ohms
Gain: 20 (26dB), 5 (14dB), 1 (0db) via front panel switch.
Topology: Fully discrete Crossfet™ circlotron-style output stage with solid state voltage gain stage, microprocessor management of quiescent current and DC offset, as well as discrete summing stages for single-ended output
Protection: microprocessor monitoring of fault conditions including DC, overcurrent, and transient phenomena, with relay muting on any fault.
Power Supply: 400VA transformer with 4 separate circlotron output rails, plus 56VA separate transformer for high voltage rails; seven separate regulated supplies for front end and control section; over 100,000uF filter capacitance total.

I am not sure if this amplifier is capable of driving either the Mini-Desktop system or the 7's, with or without the DWM's, and have little experience with magnetic-planar designs other than to own a pair of Audeze LCD-2 headphones, as well as listening to some 1.7's and 3.7's in a showroom a couple of years ago...

I am not interested in "head-banging" loudness levels, but instead, moderate level, high quality reproductions of orchestral/choral, small ensemble or solo acoustic music...in a small room...12' x 14' ...I am interested in hearing the nuances...

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated...

Thank you in advance!

Peace/Namaste,
T. A. Kogstrom

P.S. What am I giving up with the .7's as opposed to the Mini-Desktop system with regard to the ribbon tweeter...particularly with regard to reproducing renaissance a capella choral music...?...

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi mate, sounds very interesting what you're after.
The only thing is I cannot comment much on headphone stuff and personal listening systems such as yours.
I have extensive experience in mostly two channel systems with top to bottom electronics and panel speaker designs such as electrostats and ribbons. I would try to link up with some others on Audio Review . com as I used to me a member there before and many of them did have personal systems like what you're after.

I am a bit surprised why no one has replied you though, because there are some very educated high-end music enthusiasts on this forum that could easily drop a line. Hey chaps any help for our junior member?...

Signing off, RJ

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It's fine for both. The amp is clean. Now the audezee will not sound like the Maggie's . The Maggie's are much more forward while the audezee are rolled off upper mids on up.
Maggie's make great near field ,s. Enjoy.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
+1 on Alrainbow with the difference between Magnepan balance and Audeze - they are different beasties, I have LCD2 and they are virtually unused as the Maggies get all the listening time.

I haven't heard the .7s yet but based on the difference between the 1.7s and the minis and also after the recent .7 review I'd be going 1.7s with 2 dwm if you can stretch... The extra panel size is always a plus with Maggie's IME.

Have fun with it

bobauch

Apr 30, 2015
If you are using the mini maggies nearfield,you will not need much power.My amp is 75 watts into four ohms , and is plenty powerful in a nearfield setting.
If you are using maggies in a bigger room,you may want more power.I would also suggest a high quality subwoofer to fill in the bottom octaves. I picked up a used M&K mx 200 and it works seamlessly.I would say go with the sub no matter what maggie combo you do,as it will really open up the soundstage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing