Pv 15l

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings fellow c-j enthusiasts!

Since my Act2 has gone for a check up/service, I have had several iterations of preamps in the system as a substitute. Although none of them are any close to the Act2's performance, I must say that I've had a very interesting journey so far.
1. Jadis JPL pre was quite nice, had a good overall strong midrange, fairly smooth highs and equally strong bass, bit muddy though on certain notes
2. Quad QC24 was very well balanced, great realism and wonderful sound-staging when partnered with the MV60se. Didn't have the overall smoothness of the Act2's midrange and those extended airy highs
3. C2300 from McIntosh was overall an outstanding preamplifier. Great dynamics, excellent top to bottom end control and very nice midrange. Especially coming off the Quads, the C2300 with the MV60se was a real treat to listen to. Although it nearly costs twice as much what I paid for compared to the Act2 (used), I think the Act2 has a slight edge towards more musicality. The c2300 is a brand new unit, and the Act2 is no longer made. Having said that the c2300 is one preamp I could happily have in my system as a replacement.
4. I also had the ET3se for sometime before, which I liked very much as well but somewhat preferred the Classic SE over the ET3.

5. And that brings us to the last one that I currently have as a replacement whiles the Act2 is being serviced; the un-assuming PV15L (line stage version only). This is one hec of a preamp!
Very nice control over the entire sound spectrum, drives the MV60se wonderfully with ease of control, is dead quiet and runs pretty cool to the touch.
It can also be used with the same Act2 remote (the big golden brick), and matches very well with the McIntosh sacd player (MCD301). I just got hold of the Venessa Fernandez sacd and it sounds bloody great!

It seems like I have yet come across another classic preamp from c-j and this PV15 drives the MV60se beautifully with no grain whatsoever. By far, it would probably be my second choice compared to the c2300 preamp, I think somewhat more musical than the ET3se, and far better than the Jadis. Must be that golden glow of musicality that c-j was known for, which is more apparent on their previous models. So far, having gone through nearly the entire series of preamps from c-j, also including the ET5, and CT5, I can clearly say that the Act2 has a level of performance that shifts up a notch when it comes to control and sound0staging compared to the others. having said that, I have also listened to the GAT, and can only say that the GAT is just marginally better than the Act2, not by a far margin. I also like the look of the Act2, reminds me of Han Solo's millennium falcon...

For those of you who are currently using a PV15, I think you've reached the pinnacle of fine stereo pre-amplification, and if you are trying to upgrade, I would seriously suggest upgrading the power amplification first, and then considering the preamp last. This PV15 is one dam good true value for money unit that is offered from a classic preamplifier manufacturer, and it all started at c-j with the introduction of the PV-1.

I strongly believe c-j preamps are second to none!

Cheers to the PV15!
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey RJ,

Great review...i used to own the PV14L many, many years ago. I enjoyed it tremendously, but after a comparison with ACT2, i realized quite clearly that one really showed its grain, midrange fuzz, lesser bass grip in comparison.

How much newer is the 15? I think quite a few years newer (14L was vintage 2000)

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Lloyd, how's it going? Trust your Gat & Gryphon are going great guns with the Wilsons...

The PV15 was introduced in Nov 2005. I believe it was launched too late because many who had the PV14 thought that the PV15 was just another preamp from cj...
I had the PV14 as well just after the pv12, which was an outstanding preamp without remote. The PV15 takes the performance level of the PV12&PV14 to different league. Obviously the Act2 & Gat are a different category of pre-amplification since their price points are not even close.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the PV15, infact I am thinking of keeping it! I am trying to listen to Venessa Fernandez and type this message at the same time, it is very captivating, I had to actually pause the music and concentrate on my reply. For what it does with the system I have matched it with, and I am sure that would be the same if partnered with top notch gear, the PV15 is simply superb! I know for a fact that many critics stated that cj's previous preamps had that sonic golden glow. Whatever fault that had, I sincerely don't think that was a fault in any manner. This type of sonic character is simply musicality at its best! I am certainly enjoying it, and this is the first time since my Act2, where I had to actually stop playing the music to type a message.
Now, I am going back to the couch and will reply to any messages tomorrow, I must try to see if I could keep this PV15 until the Act2 arrives.
Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Lloyd, how's it going? Trust your Gat & Gryphon are going great guns with the Wilsons...

The PV15 was introduced in Nov 2005. I believe it was launched too late because many who had the PV14 thought that the PV15 was just another preamp from cj...
I had the PV14 as well just after the pv12, which was an outstanding preamp without remote. The PV15 takes the performance level of the PV12&PV14 to different league. Obviously the Act2 & Gat are a different category of pre-amplification since their price points are not even close.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the PV15, infact I am thinking of keeping it! I am trying to listen to Venessa Fernandez and type this message at the same time, it is very captivating, I had to actually pause the music and concentrate on my reply. For what it does with the system I have matched it with, and I am sure that would be the same if partnered with top notch gear, the PV15 is simply superb! I know for a fact that many critics stated that cj's previous preamps had that sonic golden glow. Whatever fault that had, I sincerely don't think that was a fault in any manner. This type of sonic character is simply musicality at its best! I am certainly enjoying it, and this is the first time since my Act2, where I had to actually stop playing the music to type a message.
Now, I am going back to the couch and will reply to any messages tomorrow, I must try to see if I could keep this PV15 until the Act2 arrives.
Cheers, RJ

enjoy the show! thanks for the explanation. And yes, GAT & Gryphon are doing very well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing