Mayweather vs Pacquiao

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Obviously I want Manny to win. I think that FMJ has everything it takes to make Manny look bad in the ring. Make him look very awkward. Manny will have to throw in bunches and bunches. On Manny's side, I think we can agree that FMJ has been getting tagged a lot more often the last few fights by fighters nowhere near Pac's speed. The shoulder roll also isn't as effective against south paws on defense BUT the right straight, a FMJ main weapon on offense is. The size differential is also a lot smaller than I expected seeing them talking on the basketball court. All in, despite the outcome I am wishing for, I'm seeing a decision in FMJ's favor. The speed at which Mayweather adjusts might require Pacman and Roach to have multiple plans coming into the fight to be used in stages.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm no boxer so a question to those who have experience:

- with such equally experienced fighters and who've clearly got stamina, do you think the 2 come out with a strategy for a long, fight where they are testing each other, wearing down, waiting for the other to slip up for just a nano-second and 'bam!'...war of attrition

...or is this where 1 tries to come out with a surprise barrrage, do some quick damage and then let the opponent slide down from there until the opportunity for a KO or TKO?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Sort of saddens me this fight, because IMO Mayweather avoided this fight until he felt Pacquiao was quite a bit below his prime - ok not sure how much effort Pacquiao made with regards to the blood testing that was a red line due to it being close to the date of the fight (said it would affect performance) but he could had insisted they both go through it at the same time.
Pacquiao IMO should had said no and said it is Mayweather's fault for avoiding a boxing match much earlier that back then would had given the fans something epic to watch.

I cannot see Mayweather losing this, even with his discipline lacking at times for some previous match training.
Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's about styles and perception coming into the fight. In this case Pac is the underdog and so he has to do more to get the points from the judges. There are three judges in a title fight and each judge has his own weights or criteria when awarding points. 10 points to 9 for the winner of the round. If there is a knockdown it would be 10 to 8, two knockdowns 10 to 7 so on and so forth. Barring a knockdown a judge could award a round to a boxer for defense even if the other threw more and at times landed more since there are hits and there are hits. A boxer could be awarded a round for making the other guy miss a lot for example.

In this fight the underdog (Pacquiao) needs to throw a large volume of power shots AND land a good percentage of them. To do that he will need a lot of footwork to cut off the ring by circling left. Mayweather will be countering that by circling to his own left away from Pac's power hand. The stamina drain will be on the aggressor. Mayweather learned early in his career that toe to toe fighting is not for him. His jaw is actually questionable. He since has made it a point to not let himself get hit as much as possible. He may very well be one of the best defensive fighters EVER. Pac will have to work really, really hard. I expect the fight to be a dynamically changing chess match with constant changes in strategy as the fight goes on. Pac will also need to be careful. While Mayweather isn't a power puncher in the mold of a Provodnikov, Madaina et al. He's got more than enough to knock out anybody in the division given a clean shot on the button.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Also Mayweather's great strength is that he can adapt his boxing style-strategy throughout a match and most boxers cannot do that, last recent one to be able to do that was Joe Calzaghe and this is what made the difference of winning some fights.
This is one area Pac is going to be very weak against IMO.
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It's about styles and perception coming into the fight. In this case Pac is the underdog and so he has to do more to get the points from the judges. There are three judges in a title fight and each judge has his own weights or criteria when awarding points. 10 points to 9 for the winner of the round. If there is a knockdown it would be 10 to 8, two knockdowns 10 to 7 so on and so forth. Barring a knockdown a judge could award a round to a boxer for defense even if the other threw more and at times landed more since there are hits and there are hits. A boxer could be awarded a round for making the other guy miss a lot for example.

In this fight the underdog (Pacquiao) needs to throw a large volume of power shots AND land a good percentage of them. To do that he will need a lot of footwork to cut off the ring by circling left. Mayweather will be countering that by circling to his own left away from Pac's power hand. The stamina drain will be on the aggressor. Mayweather learned early in his career that toe to toe fighting is not for him. His jaw is actually questionable. He since has made it a point to not let himself get hit as much as possible. He may very well be one of the best defensive fighters EVER. Pac will have to work really, really hard. I expect the fight to be a dynamically changing chess match with constant changes in strategy as the fight goes on. Pac will also need to be careful. While Mayweather isn't a power puncher in the mold of a Provodnikov, Madaina et al. He's got more than enough to knock out anybody in the division given a clean shot on the button.

Thank you. Very helpful...i kind of suspected at this level, there must be a tremendous amount of mental/physical STRATEGY. The physical talents are undeniable of both, and presumably everyone has strengths/weaknesses and probably a particular 'style'...so the winning fight must couple these elements carefully into the fight. Thanks again.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack. will you and Jim be coming to the fight

I'm almost certain Jim will go. I'm already scheduled to leave for NY in the middle of May and while I can book earlier, I can't leave my kids for more than a couple of weeks.

@Lloyd, anytime buddy!

@Orb. I agree. As I said earlier, one strategy isn't going to be enough against Mayweather. Pac has got to be able to change things up often and well. One important point however, FMJ's shoulder roll defense doesn't work well against southpaws. Much slower south paws have given him trouble in the past and that was when FMJ himself was a lot faster. Pac's right hook has also become much more potent. Potent enough to send the likes of Cotto and Hatton to the canvas. The overhead variant is something he will be able to land. Still, we'll really see the trend when we see who's lead (Left for Pac and Right for FMJ) outraces the other. These are the punches both are susceptible to. Mosley's left straight rocked FMJ bad. Pac's left lead is stronger and quicker, as fast as the jabs of many welterweights.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah agreed Jack,
I do think Pac will cause trouble in the early 4 rounds and even possibly rock him, but then Mayweather will adjust to the patterns and then be in control while also putting Paco on the back foot, same happened with Joe Calzaghe against Lacy/Hopkins/Jones; once caught he started to adjust and went on to control those fights and I would be surprised if Mayweather does not do the same.

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sort of saddens me this fight, because IMO Mayweather avoided this fight until he felt Pacquiao was quite a bit below his prime...Pacquiao IMO should had said no and said it is Mayweather's fault for avoiding a boxing match much earlier that back then would had given the fans something epic to watch.

I cannot see Mayweather losing this, even with his discipline lacking at times for some previous match training.
Cheers
Orb

Interesting...i just saw the article, and it seems Mayweather is a year older than Pacquiao...37 vs 36.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
The only way I see Manny winning this fight is if the judges that night value being busy over effectiveness. Floyd will be able to time Pacquiao's lunges, and potshot the straight right over Manny's left lead and pile up the rounds. Mayweather's defense will be the difference. If Manny is able to land more than five clean left hands all night, I'll be shocked. He'll have to have a career night with his lead hand (right) to have any kind of a chance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing