Revox restorers?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi everyone,

I need to restore the electronics of my Revox to factory spec, so can anyone recommend people who live and breathe Revoxes and Studers, to do this type of work? I also wonder if there are straight replacements for the internal removable boards. Maybe the Tape Project would be a better place to ask, or reeltoreel yahoo group?

Thanks

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That's the only guy I know. I spoke with him a couple years ago, he's seemed very knowledgeable.

Thanks; I have communicated with him before, back in 2012, and his references check out; I think it's time to send it in to him. I am getting some intermittent noise and it's probably some IC(s) or transistor(s). The unit could use a tune-up, its first after 30 years, anyway, and maybe new heads (JRF Magnetics?)

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

A close friend of mine just gave me a ReVox B-77, which belonged to his dad because he has no use for it. Apparently, his dad looked after it really well, which kind of bears out on a cursory physical examination - given its age, the unit looks excellent but probably hasn't been used for over 15-20 years. I am told it's in working condition.

I must confess, I have no idea of Reel to Reel tapes and so I am looking for restorers who can work on the unit and bring it back up to specs. Of course, since there is no original box, packing it up will be a headache. But i can think about that when the time comes.

Right now, I will be grateful for some steer from our members here as to how to go about getting it serviced.

Many thanks in advance

Sujay

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maybe ask Arian Jansen. He makes the Sonorus ATR-10 based on a PR99.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Mine was repaired by JM Technical Arts as sated above - excellent work

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi everyone,

I need to restore the electronics of my Revox to factory spec, so can anyone recommend people who live and breathe Revoxes and Studers, to do this type of work? I also wonder if there are straight replacements for the internal removable boards. Maybe the Tape Project would be a better place to ask, or reeltoreel yahoo group?

Thanks

In Europe we can get new, never used, or re-caped Revox boards for less than usd 50 each from eBay sellers - probably you can find similar sellers in the US. Sometimes it is worth to buy a very poor cosmetics machine cheap just to get spares. People who service Studers usually charge a lot more than those servicing Revoxs.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks, Ron. I did visit his website. I am also, simultaneously, looking at someone locally who is capable and willing to fix it, which will be ideal. I am cognizant of the fact that transportation cost to and fro will be exorbitant.

Cheers

Sujay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing