Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McIntosh MA8000 - Newest Member of My Family

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    I've been running a pr of MC501s driving VSA VR5 Anniversaries for 6 yrs now. I've brought in several different monoblocks over the years to compare and still have the 501s. Even though many relegate MAC gear to the mid-fi class it's still right up there IMO...liquidity with absolutely no sacrifice of detail..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog RJ View Post
    G'day Fred,
    I am truly not surprised the MA8000 won this category! It is one awesome amp and one hec of a design. It virtually beats nearly all integrateds out there. Although it has sheer muscle and brute force when in order, it is actually quite like a gentle giant. Never is aggressive unless provoked.( Sounds a bit like me...)

I am still after the mighty mc452 but that purchase will not happen for now. Still enjoying the tubes with cj amps.

As fas as I can tell our other good mate who has the mighty mac's driving his awesome mg20.7's is absolutely thrilled. When time permits, now he actually runs the whole system through the MA8000 instead of the mc275 mono's. Only when he has the time off work, he fires up the mono's with his TT and all is at bliss. But that MA8000 does have a very special signature of sound to it.
    Glad you're enjoying!
    Cheers, RJ
    Hi RJ. Yep, it was nice to see the HiFi World award. I can't say what other solid state amps were also under consideration, but from my own experience with the MC, it surely seems deserved. The feature set that MC packed into this unit is an out of the park homerun.

Quote Originally Posted by es347 View Post
    I've been running a pr of MC501s driving VSA VR5 Anniversaries for 6 yrs now. I've brought in several different monoblocks over the years to compare and still have the 501s. Even though many relegate MAC gear to the mid-fi class it's still right up there IMO...liquidity with absolutely no sacrifice of detail..
    I auditioned the 601's and thought they were special sounding monoblocks. But for the cost, I also thought the MA8000 was not very far off at all. The idea that MC gets relegated to Mid-Fi, just kills me. What is this hobby of ours coming to?
    ...Get Along Kid Charlemagne...

Addicted to Best!
    Yes agreed mate!

The 601 amps are in the dealers room at the moment driving the sf strads. They are remarkable amps. However, whenever we plug in the mc452, this sound seems more coherent and the drive capability is outstanding. Basically the mc452 puts out nearly twice as much of current. It is currently mc's most powerful stereo amp with a fully quad balanced topology.

McIntosh doesn't believe in the cosmetics of the components much, such as metal gold buttons, pure silver knobs, and all those shiny accessories. They focus on the internal stuff and outer casing, that's why their components are built like tanks and have solid weight. Even their cd players are like amplifiers. From this they are able to keep the price down as much as possible.
    So the majority of people who are not very familiar with mc consider it to be mid-fi.

When it comes to high-end, the designers know that they need to put on a big show. Hence all those bells & whistles and the shimmery things stand out. They may not even sound that good but because they cost equivalent to a price of a surely they must sound good, and frankly speaking from experience, they don't!

McIntosh is one brand that keeps you at ease, knowing that whatever you spend it will last a lifetime.

I do know one thing Fred, you will be enjoying that mc for a long time.
    Cheers, RJ

bump.

Fred,

Hope you are still loving the MA8000. Can you please give us an update?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    bump.

Fred,

Hope you are still loving the MA8000. Can you please give us an update?
    Curious to run across my own old thread on a google search. HA!

Well, it seems I can't turn the unit on now. I haven't listened to the system in a month or two, but tonight I went into the audio room to power it up and it won't turn on. The little red standby LED is on, but I get no response from the unit from either the remote, or by pressing the red standby button. I've tried the reset procedure by pressing and holding the red button for 5 seconds, but still it won't turn on. All the other equipment in the room works just fine, but for the Mac. I don't like the idea of having to pull this monster off its stand one bit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is the main fuse serviceable at home...As in by me?

In reply to your query Joe, I'm still in love with my Mac, but she has me a bit frustrated at the moment.

Hello Fred,

I am so sorry that you are having problems.

I run across my posts all the time. It's a weird and funny feeling.

Happy you love the sound but hope it's a simple repair. Please keep us updated.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hello Fred,

I am so sorry that you are having problems.

I run across my posts all the time. It's a weird and funny feeling.

Happy you love the sound but hope it's a simple repair. Please keep us updated.
    Well, the Mac has been in and out of the shop a couple of times. They got it back up and running without too much trouble, but as it turns out the digital audio board is done. It's funny, because all of the digital inputs work just fine except the USB audio input. Wouldn't you know, just the one that I actually want to use.

New board is $835 installed, so I hope to have it ordered in the next few days.

I'll be moving on in the speaker world too. The Magnepan's are up for sale since I have a pair of Canton Reference 1's on order.

^^ Just an update to the above. The Mac is all good again. New digital board fixed all issues. I think some stray voltage got into the usb audio port and did some damage to the board.

And, the Canton's are in the room now. Wow! what a fabulous speaker. I believe I have a sale for the Maggies too.

Nice way to ring in the New Year 2018!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12