Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis VI speakers - can this pair be saved (hoping "yes!", certainly.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    The speakON connectors have versions with screw terminals; XLR's are soldered (at least the ones I have used -- they have a crimped XLR, not sure about a screw terminal version). For XLR's they have a version for high EMI/RFI situations.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    You're right. When I said "Neutrik" I was referring to the SpeakON used on the Genesis VI loudspeaker.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    NP Gary, for some reason I was thinking of interconnects and not speaker cables. Sorry! - Don
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

SpeakOns replaced at the cable ends. Both speakers are fully alive! The external powered subwoofer I've had for years already is listed on craigslist -- good riddance. Many, many thanks to Gary and all for their consults. Colin

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Cool! Great job resurrecting a very old pair of Genesis speakers! Did you change out the electrolytic caps in the servo amp while you were at it? 20 year old electrolytics could leak or dry out.

Hi. I own a mint pair of Genesis V speakers. I have have had no issues or problems with them. But I was thinking about other Genesis V or Vl owners who have developed issues with their servo amplifiers. Assuming some are unable to afford going down Gary Koh's Genesis Technologies upgrade (the preferred option) how about these guys? It may be more expensive than what Gary or Rythmic Audio can offer - but maybe still something to consider

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to post the link forServoBass: http://servobass.com/OEM.html
    Last edited by Genesis56; 04-08-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Your speakers would be hitting 20 years old - and a little maintenance may be helpful to keep the going. Especially if you are unable to afford going for a new Genesis servo amp or a Rythmik Audio plate amplifier + woofers you want to maintain the speakers BEFORE they catastrophically fail.

Woofers move much more than midranges and tweeters. Like the shocks and springs in your car, the spider and surrounds wear out. Companies like Orange County Speaker Repair can "re-cone" your woofers. Replacing the spider and surround with new ones before they fail will save you very expensive repairs. IIRC they charge less than $100 per woofer.

The servo-amp has electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. These can leak, dry out and wear out. The old Genesis sometimes used 1,000hr load life caps. We use 3- 5,000hr caps, but after 10 years it still makes sense to replace them before they fail. Any competent technician will be able to replace the caps with the same value just higher quality.

Inside the crossover there are a few non-polar electrolytic caps - replace them with equivalents as these also wear out. The film caps will last several lifetimes.

There are various places to get replacement parts - a bit of research will save you a lot of money. Unfortunately, I run a business and not a charity and we have to make a profit to stay in business. As a business, we also have to keep inventory which increases cost of doing business.

Hey, Gary,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I forgot to post that link in my previous post: http://servobass.com/OEM.html

For many of us, the only way to get into true reference quality speakers for a reasonable price is to buy early model Genesis speakers. I know some have age related issues, but with a little TLC and just a few dollars, it's possible to restore them to pristine condition. The result is something incredible to hear. I can only just begin to imagine the outstanding sound quality offered by the latest models using modern technology.

I have had my speakers serviced by a technician familiar with the early models. I've replaced the dome mid-range drivers and as you suggested previously, the servo bass cables have had the connectors replaced (I'm glad I had them checked as the technician showed me the speakon connectors were cracked). My amplifier checks out as well - no signs of capacitor leaking.

I guess for owners of early Genesis Vs, it's good to know that we can upgrade our speakers with new Genesis components (for a price of course ). When the time comes, I would be happy to retain my cabinets and bring my lovely Genesis V's to something close to the latest version that you currently make. I am thinking that I would save a considerable amount of $$$ over a new model plus retain a h-fi classic. Or bite the bullet and buy a new pair!

I have owned a bunch of different and expensive speakers in the past. None come close to my Genesis Vs.

Hi Gary,

For some reason my post that you responded to got deleted (?) Weird.

Anyhow thanks for the tips. I've had my speakers and amp serviced by a competent tech who's familiar with the Genesis V. SpeakON connectors replaced and mid-range dome drivers replaced. Result = awesome sound!

The other servo amplifier possibility I was trying to post previously for those that can't afford a Genesis Advanced Technologies replacement is from ServoBass. I don't know how suitable their products might be, but the might be a good alternative to Rythmic: http://servobass.com/OEM.html
    Last edited by Genesis56; 04-08-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Hiya, I am glad that you are enjoying your G-V and you already had it service and maintained. It should still sound outstanding for years to come. If you keep watch, every once in a while a pair of later model speakers come available on-line. But they are usually snapped up quickly unless they are in poor condition.

Thanks for the link to the ServoBass Corp - another resource for the DIY-type who can't afford our solutions! I will keep them in mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast