Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis VI speakers - can this pair be saved (hoping "yes!", certainly.

Genesis VI speakers - can this pair be saved (hoping "yes!", certainly.

Just acquired (some people don't like really heavy things, I guess). Condition is marvelous. But they have an issue, and I have a couple myself, and among them all it's just not working yet.

Issue 1: one of the NL4 connectors (speaker left) is broken; some of the plastic shroud has cracked and fallen away. The connector does lock into place, however. Big deal?

Issue 2: no signal from the Genesis external amplifier. The amp lamp lights; it gets warm as it stays on. But running the main preamp outputs of a Mac MX113 to the external amplifier results in absolutely nothing from the speakers. Not a hum, not a buzz, nothing. Thus, I'm running the speakers simply off the binding posts of a Mac2205 amplifier to the binding posts of the Genesis. (and I did figure out to not use the biwire business on the Genesis...).

I don't have another amplifier with speakon connections just laying about, and I've not found anyone local (Oklahoma) who is game at even testing the amplifier, let alone doing repairs. I really hate not taking advantage of the VI's bass capability. Better to solicit amp diagnosis/repairs nationally, or just buy a pro amp with similar power ratings and speakon connections and hope that's the issue?

Issue 3: No owner's manual. Is there information in there I ought to be aware of? I can't find one of those things anywhere. I pulled the 500 manual from the Genesis site and it was helpful on things like placement, but not so much on connections and amplifier.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Gary Koh, president of Genesis, is a member here. Hopefully, he'll be able to help you sort this all out!

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colinhtucker View Post
    Just acquired (some people don't like really heavy things, I guess). Condition is marvelous. But they have an issue, and I have a couple myself, and among them all it's just not working yet.

Issue 1: one of the NL4 connectors (speaker left) is broken; some of the plastic shroud has cracked and fallen away. The connector does lock into place, however. Big deal?
    As long as the connector does lock - the plastic shroud being cracked should be not much of a problem as long as the crack does not extend to the screws holding the connectors to the cabinet. There is quite a bit of air pressure behind the connector and if the screw is not secure, the cabinet could leak. The Neutrik NL4 connectors are cheap and easily available: http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik...mount--092-052

However, the contacts do corrode after 20 years, and it is just prudent to have them replaced if you are working on the speakers.

Issue 2: no signal from the Genesis external amplifier. The amp lamp lights; it gets warm as it stays on. But running the main preamp outputs of a Mac MX113 to the external amplifier results in absolutely nothing from the speakers. Not a hum, not a buzz, nothing. Thus, I'm running the speakers simply off the binding posts of a Mac2205 amplifier to the binding posts of the Genesis. (and I did figure out to not use the biwire business on the Genesis...).

I don't have another amplifier with speakon connections just laying about, and I've not found anyone local (Oklahoma) who is game at even testing the amplifier, let alone doing repairs. I really hate not taking advantage of the VI's bass capability. Better to solicit amp diagnosis/repairs nationally, or just buy a pro amp with similar power ratings and speakon connections and hope that's the issue?
    This is a very much bigger problem. The woofers are servo-controlled and you can't just buy a pro amp with similar power ratings and replace it. You would get very boomy, one-note bass as the woofer does not work in the cabinet volume without the servo-control system working properly.

Unfortunately, we do not know of anyone who would be able to work on the servo-bass amplifier of the Genesis VI. When the old Genesis technologies went bankrupt in 2001, the bank foreclosing on the company lost the entire warehouse storage unit holding the computers, product books and office files of the company. Hence, we do not have schematics and BOM of the G-VI amplifier. I haven't ever seen an example of this amp, so don't know the first thing about it. To compound the matter, the design is over 20 years old, and even component parts are obsolete and unavailable. For example, we once tried to fix the amplifier to the Genesis V but couldn't find a good replacement for the power transistors which are no longer manufactured.

Issue 3: No owner's manual. Is there information in there I ought to be aware of? I can't find one of those things anywhere. I pulled the 500 manual from the Genesis site and it was helpful on things like placement, but not so much on connections and amplifier.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I haven't ever seen an Owner's Manual to the G-VI either. The closest we have that has the same connections and set-up might be the Genesis II.5. Here's the set-up guide: http://genesisloudspeakers.com/arche...setupguide.pdf

Here's a brochure if you're interested: http://genesisloudspeakers.com/arche...i_brochure.pdf

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rapid and thorough analysis, Gary - thank you. And thanks again. In light of all this, I'm looking to add a sub that is particularly well suited to music and higher ranges to get into the frequencies that would be covered by the now-silent woofers. The mids and highs on the VI's are so incredible I cannot give them up but my kids are so intent on going to college 10 years from now that I cannot in good conscience go with a more current (and fully functional!) model.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Gary has a line of servo subs that should fit the bill! I use Rythmik, a less expensive servo sub, and am a firm believer is servo technology for subs.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    If you're a DIY'er, Rythmik also sells drivers and servo-amps that you might be able to retro-fit into the G-VI. May not be perfect, but it's far better than no bass

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Wasn't going to suggest that since this is about Genesis, but yes they do! And Brian, the man behind Rythmik, is another gem of a guy (like Gary).
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Splendid news. Examined the interior of the servo amp; all appears intact; both fuses are good. Build quality is awesome. So started over from cold. Problem turned out to be bad y-splitters. Replaced those with new and now get excellent sound from one speaker. Nice! The other speaker, still no bass. But that one suffers from a fractured Neutrik connector on the speaker cable, very likely the source of the silent woofers. Can someone recommend a shop that would be able to swap out the broken connector for a new one? Given what these cables cost (25 meters I think this one is), I'd really like to invest in having a pro do the work instead of myself.

Colin, if you managed to get inside the servo amp, you can change out the Neutrik connector. IIRC they are just screwed on to the cable and not soldered. You would be able to buy them from the Parts Express link I provided earlier.

Also, the old servo-bass cables had a design flaw that made the feedback circuit oscillate if you shorten the cables. So, do not cut the cables even if they are much, much too long.

Thanks Gary. I will give it a shot. And I'd never think of shortening the cables. They're too cool as-is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast