Tannoy Kingdom Royals - Any good? Why under the radar?

caesar

May 30, 2010
One of the best sounds at RMAF 2013 was the Tannoy Kingdom Royals driven by VAC. Tannoy, it seems like has been around the dinosaur age of high end audio, and these are some of their top speakers. Yet, these are not part of the conversation among the media, and are rare in the audiophile community.

All I know is after hearing the Kingdom Royals under show that guys who have a taste for gear that sounds like, and captures emotions of music, rather than gear that reproduces sound would like this speaker.

Is there something wrong with the design? Is Tannoy not marketed well? Does their sonic signature not fit the current fad of high resolution/ clean sound, and is being ignored? Are folks lacking imagination to try this brand?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi C, I've heard them at that show--frankly I felt the Smaller T's in the next room mated better in the environments there--anyway I'd take the Westminster GR's over the Kingdoms

They are more cohesive I find

BruceD

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I heard a pair at the Munich High End Show in a large room about three years ago but I don't recall what amps were being used. They sounded incredible and remain one of the best sounds I have ever heard. So true and resolving without any leaness and marvellous dynamics and nimbleness. If your room is big enough do audition them.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, Tanoy's have been around since the dinosaurs age...
my former company group chairman back in my home country had a pair of top line Westminster royals driven with mcintosh amps. The sound was fantastic! Utterly effortless and could play loud and soft in a blink of an eye. The drivers were an all in one dual concentric config that Tanoy's are known for and as they age you have to get the re-coning kit which is quite easy to do. I helped him with that project on two separate occasions. He kept the Westministers for nearly 20 years, until he finally sold them off and bought my maggies.
The newer Tannoy series are better but their top of the line will always be the Westminster Royals and yes you need a huge room!
They also work extremely well with moderate power tube amps. Eve Anna Manley, president of Manley Labs also has the Westministers as well as a second pair of Churchills, all being driven with just 50watts of tube monoblocks. She swears by this sound.
I say go for it if you like the Tannoy sound.
Cheers, RJ

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
I am not an expert but I have been a huge Tannoy fan since buying 12" Monitor Golds in 1972. Three years ago I bought Canterbury SE's and considered those my
final purchase unless I win a big lottery 8>)... I heard the KR's at RMAF 2013 and was very grateful. I have not heard any Westminster Royals and hope to sometime.
I found that the Kingdom Royals seemed to add a little lower midrange or upper bass thickness compared to my Canterbury's, and think that it might be caused by the passive radiator added to the KR. The Canterbury and Westminster Royal are purer point sources.
Finally, Tannoy does not advertise the larger Prestige series in the US so it could be that the major media don't pay much attention?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard a modded Canterbury that was excellent. I am going to tannoy tour and investigate further.

Some have preferred the Canterbury to the more expensive Westminster and the kingdom royale. Also the latter two need a lot of power some certain Canterbury drivers don't. Will check and verify.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Digging out an old thread. Listened to the Kingdom Royal with vac and it was special. Some ear piercing frequency that was bothering me a bit, but if it can be eliminated, it will be truly amazing. My imagination is running wild, thinking i can get rid of the anomalies :confused: Makes me wonder why it does not get more attention. I think it is not as coherent as say the Westminster but it has its own strong points. I actually prefer it to the Westminster.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You need to mod the cross over for that. Balancing tannoys is not easy. Bass can sound powerful but highs can sound shrill like you said. Sometimes highs are not shrill but bass is muddy. But many are modding the crossovers

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
You need to mod the cross over for that. Balancing tannoys is not easy. Bass can sound powerful but highs can sound shrill like you said. Sometimes highs are not shrill but bass is muddy. But many are modding the crossovers

Can you point me to the modding leads? If it the crossover rework can be easily done with predictable results, that will be something. Thanks.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I heard them some years ago playing in the large space that was a ballroom.
I thought they sounded amazing - so fleet of foot and an immersive musical sound.
Certainly a speaker to explore if your room is big enough.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing