Which tube power amp would you choose and why

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
If you could get one of these tube power amps, which one would you choose and why.

VTL ST-85

BAT VK 75 SE

McIntosh MC275

Or any others in the similar power output range per channel.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Chuck this look likes a good place to apply some of the points raised in my thread what to look for in a power amp. Why don't you suggest a speaker? Two of the amps have been reviewed in Sterophile.
A high efficiency mini-monitor might be a good choice.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Some additional information could help, such as room size, music preferences, speakers considered, other components in the chain and personal tastes (analytic/musical, soft/loud volume preferences, etc.)

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Speakers are PMC OB1's
Room size is 12x20
Music preferences are - Blues, big band, jazz, rock, and a little classical
Music Volume - typically lower, with some louder sessions, but not blow the windows out loud.
Pre Amp - McIntosh C2200
Rega TT
Music Server, and DAC

I have the MC275, and have heard a BAT 35 watt tube amp. Haven't heard VTL yet, but I know a few folks who rave about them.

I am curious if anyone has any experience with any of the three amps, and any advice you might have.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
PMC OB1
87 db 1w at 1meter
6ohms

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I tend to stay with SS but have used hybrid to good effect in the past.
If there was one tube pre/amp combo I would had loved to listen it would be the McIntosh 60th anniversary pre and power amp.
For the specification and measurements it is quite an incredible combination at what I feel is a good price; expensive but nowhere in same league as some of the high end.

Still surprised it was never reviewed in Stereophile but thankfully its profile was raised over here in the UK.
Ah well shame as it seems one of their best products to date :(

Cheers
Orb

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
VTL $1750
Mcintosh $4500
BAT $8500
I have heard BAT with Wison Watt Puppy.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Consider buying two VTL's still the least expensive
Mcintosh a classic tube amp.
BAT is the winner. Class A,600 joules energy storage.Fully balanced. Superior build quality. As usual it is the most expensive. Add to that you need to to get the VK 5 preamp and probably another VK 75SE and run it in bridged mode. Now you need to go Listen. That is the only test that matters for the end user. MAy only concern is the BAT high output impedance that could cause problems with linearity. Nothing's perfect.
Other suggestions- Class A tubes Atma-Sphere MA 60. Hybrid Aesthetix Atlas, Moscode 402AU. SS Harmon Kardon Integrated HK 990. Good Luck.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would second the BAT choice, great for acoustic music from what I have heard at dealer's demonstrations.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
BAT is a good choice. Maybe also try some of the ARC amps. The Ref 110 is very nice and some of the older designs like the D115 Mk 2, D70Mk2 or maybe the VT130 would be worth a look. I think if a budget is a concern, then the D70mk2 and/or the D115Mk2 are very hard to beat for the money.
We recently AB'ed my D70Mk2 with rolled in tubes against the VTL St 85 and the BAT VK 55, everyone that day preferred the D70 and by a wide margin! YMMV.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Still own BAT VK-150s (Two VK-75s Bridged Parallel). Very good sound, great after sales service from the local dealer.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had an opportunity to purchase a Cayin MT-12 tube IA yesterday, and was interested because the person selling this small 12wpc amp had Totem Forrests running off of it. Totem's aren't the most efficient of speakers, so this lit me up.

Until now I had never considered looking at such low wattage units, but I guess they are powerful enough in a small room such as mine (11x10).

What's your opnion on these types of units?

John

PS: Some one beat me to it....and I'm kinda disappointed.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing