Seven reasons to listen to Vinyl!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Never realized you could buy cartridges to play the underside of an LP. Damn! I need to get with the program! :p

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice photo. I tried putting my three cartridges together for such a picture and they moved due to the magnets. That kind of scared me, especially with the exposed Colibri cantilever, so I quickly abandoned the idea. I've got the two on the right: AirTight Supreme and VDH Colibri XXP Platinum. Very different animals. I'm currently listening to the MSL Signature Gold.

Here are another three reasons:

DSC_0011.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

photo 8.JPG

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Nice photo. I tried putting my three cartridges together for such a picture and they moved due to the magnets. That kind of scared me, especially with the exposed Colibri cantilever, so I quickly abandoned the idea.

Where there is a will, there is a way. A careful selection of lineup, consideration of magnetic field strength, cartridge mass, and a little creativity made the photo possible.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
They seem to be multiplying.:D

How long have you had the Etna? How does it compare to the Titan i?

Hi Sean,

I've had it a while... sort of

(I was dreading that last question would come up. So, please allow me to be coy for the moment.)
I like all my Lyras. They are unique enough that there is a place for all three in my personal collection.

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dre,

Looking for the future thread with pics of the record collection entitled "The Thousand and One reasons to own 7 carts" :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looking at the OP, I remember that I took some pics a few years ago of my good buddy's collection.

256080046.jpg 256082225.jpg 256085690.jpg

Now we have 11 reasons... :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And I 'stitched' these 6 carts which I shot individually to form my 'signature' in a local forum. They are all Koetsus.

3.2.jpg

Blue Lace Platinum, Coral Stone Platinum, Onyx Long Body, Jade Platinum, Tiger Eye Platinum, Rosewood Platinum. The colors of Koetsu, or even the 'colorations' of Koetsu. :D

number95

May 14, 2014
And I 'stitched' these 6 carts which I shot individually to form my 'signature' in a local forum. They are all Koetsus.

View attachment 18853

Blue Lace Platinum, Coral Stone Platinum, Onyx Long Body, Jade Platinum, Tiger Eye Platinum, Rosewood Platinum. The colors of Koetsu, or even the 'colorations' of Koetsu. :D

That is quite a collection! He must a big fan of Koetsu.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Simply stunning lot of cartridges here. I personally can't imagine ever owning that many as I only have 2 turntables and play a mix of music. I might play a whole morning of Classical or a whole day of progressive rock, but it's usually a varied mix of genres. Unless I had a tonearm with a removable headshell I couldn't see myself changing out those cartridges to pair with a certain genre of music.

I'm not being critical, just practical (I think).

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That is quite a collection! He must a big fan of Koetsu.

Actually, those Koetsus went to different owners, I just took a pic of each one before they got sold and stitched them together for a group pic. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Simply stunning lot of cartridges here. I personally can't imagine ever owning that many as I only have 2 turntables and play a mix of music. I might play a whole morning of Classical or a whole day of progressive rock, but it's usually a varied mix of genres. Unless I had a tonearm with a removable headshell I couldn't see myself changing out those cartridges to pair with a certain genre of music.

I'm with you there. I have had only 1 cartridge playing at any time in my audio life. Usually when I got a new cartridge, I didn't play the old one anymore and eventually sold it. But, I am open to having multiple cartridges someday. The thought of having different sounds with different cartridges is intriguing. Somewhere there perhaps a not so good recording will sound good. :)

number95

May 14, 2014
Actually, those Koetsus went to different owners, I just took a pic of each one before they got sold and stitched them together for a group pic. :)

Ah, now I got that! :)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Looking at the OP, I remember that I took some pics a few years ago of my good buddy's collection.

Now we have 11 reasons... :D

Nice photos Phil.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Hi John,

All of these cartridges play every genre of music very well when setup properly. Personally, I wouldn't want to own a cartridge that dictated my listening habits because of the multiple genres of music I tend to listen to. Just like my friend Jazdoc, I'm all over the musical map in terms of the type of music I will play (except Polka!).

That's not to say these cartridges don't have specific individual character because they surely do. There are many reasons for having them around (besides enjoying the music I play for myself) but two of the more technical reasons are: 1) To keep my setup skills intact and also to characterize the performance envelope these cartridges in a familiar environment. 2) To challenge myself to tame and control these cartridges in order to push them to perform their best (with all types of music).

So, If I were not doing some of the things mentioned above, I could be happy with one cartridge (and one turntable).

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Dre,

Looking for the future thread with pics of the record collection entitled "The Thousand and One reasons to own 7 carts" :D

Thanks for the idea Jack! By the time I get around to doing it, the cartridge count and lineup may (and most likely will) be different.

Dre

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing