Possible New Classical Tape

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I recent bought the vinyl of MA Recordings Bach Goldberg Variations played by Ito Ema and recorded in 1994 on a Studer A-820 30ips 2 Track 1/2 inch, on 3M 996. Fantastic album, bothe sonically and artistically. I asked Todd Garfinkle whether he would consider releasing a 15ips 2 track of the album. He said he had been considering it. He would want to know what is the interest, i.e. how many potential sales. I told him I would post to see the interest at a few sites. At 45 minutes it would be a 2 reeler. I suggested that he should be looking at $300-400 which is about the current market. Todd said that he would have to make a copy of the master (I think he said 30ips 2track 1/2 inch) since the splices in the master would preclude using it to record each tape. Take a look at the MA Recordings website to learn more. If you are interested, please PM me and I will get the data to Todd.

Thanks, Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Steve. That would be great. Larry

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks, Steve. That would be great. Larry
Larry, perhaps you could start a thread or just use this one and ask who's interested and then we can hopefully get a power buy from Todd. I'm in

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Larry,

Can you furnish any information on the mic'ing technique, EQ, etc.?
Thanks.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
no more response on this fantastic music?
written by JS Bach on demand for a local king who couldn´t sleep at night and wanted to be entertained in a soothing way
whow what times in Europe....wish I could order works like that.....
best
Leif

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I honestly don´t get it....
why are you folks not more enthusiastic?
demand will trigger production, simple as that....
we have to create a stir to get things happen...
best
Leif

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Concerning EQ, Miking, etc. I don't know. I'll ask Todd. Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Concerning EQ, Miking, etc. I don't know. I'll ask Todd. Larry

Todd responded.
Mics:The mikes used were one pair of Bruel and Kjaer 4006 omnidirectional microphones with mike amp built by my friend Junichi Yonetani.
Cables were Cardas 300B to the mike amp and from there to the Studer 1/2 inch: Furukawa PCOCC (cabling)

EQ: can be CCIR or NAB depending on the customer's preference. Most audiophile releases are CCIR.

Larry

Feb 16, 2015
Norway
I bought this LP when it was released back in mid 90`s and this is a beautiful record! Both the playing and the sound is fantastic. So we want this on tape! For info; I`m in for one of the two Leif has "ordered" here.

Another fantastic LP released by MA back in the 90`s was Begona Olavide-Salterio, a record I have played a lot and it`s a favorite of mine. But if I remember correct this was a digital recording..if not..get it on tape!

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I would be interested if we could something together. MA has always made great recordings, and the minimalist mic technique make this even more attractive to me. count me in if this happens..

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
It will happen! ;)
you can add another copy to me....and I´ll stuff it down the throat of a friend of mine who just bought an A810 from me....

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Joe, if you are in, then we have 6 copies - Norway will have 50%. I've been keeping Todd informed of the count.

Larry

PS. I'll be in Oslo in June. My Swedish friends say that Sweden is expensive for foreigners, unless you come from Norway!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Todd responded.
Mics:The mikes used were one pair of Bruel and Kjaer 4006 omnidirectional microphones with mike amp built by my friend Junichi Yonetani.
Cables were Cardas 300B to the mike amp and from there to the Studer 1/2 inch: Furukawa PCOCC (cabling)

EQ: can be CCIR or NAB depending on the customer's preference. Most audiophile releases are CCIR.

Larry

Larry,

I'm interested in CCIR.
Any chance of 1/2", half-track, 30 ips/AES?
Let me know....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing