What's Everyone Reading

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Almost done with this one and really enjoying it. At times infuriating (especially around failure of testing) but an easy, illuminating read. Highly recommended.

“'Economics in One Virus' may be the most thoughtful volume published on COVID-19 policy to date. It recognizes the tradeoffs inherent in the incredibly difficult choices that governments and people have had to make, moving beyond cliches such as ‘the economy vs. health' to consider the overall impacts of these decisions on human well?being. It is rigorous and crisply written without being dogmatic or overly prescriptive.” -- Nate Silver, founder of FiveThirtyEight and a special correspondent for ABC News

“It is said that the prospect of a hanging concentrates the intellect. Ryan Bourne shows that the reality of a pandemic concentrates it on economics. In his graceful, humane, and page-turning book he teaches us about scarcity and opportunity cost and all the rest of the clanging apparatus of policy science. It should be read by every alert citizen?in the lockdown she has plenty of time to read.” -- Deirdre McCloskey, Distinguished Professor of Economics, History, English, and Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago

Reactions: carl13 and rando

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
View attachment 88852
ISBN-13 978-0393307382
Not that I need to read this after seeing the title, but I probably will. The wife and I have been saying this exact same thing about this here United states of America as well as around the world, but its bad here.
Frank Zappa had this stiff figured out in the 70's. He very correctly stated the number one problem we would be facing in this country is mental illness and boy was he correct!
Narcissism is hands down the #1 mental illness in the USA, hands down. The biggest problem with this disease it is virtually impossible to get a narcissist to accept it let alone get help. They can destroy the lives of the people closest to them once they get them hooked on their drama.
When they are asked to read about it, they get a few pages in and slam the book down and proceed to take the next few hours beating it into you why its not them...
Without question the #1 mental illness in the USA.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Five players in and I am prepared to affirm that this is a contender for greatest book ever written in the English language (along with The Bill James Baseball Abstract). Perfect gift for Fathers Day

08B3A93A-302B-4814-84AB-983FB9AF05E9.png

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Just started the first one partway through second. Only picked it up after seeing author recommend researched material, for the list of source material, over his own intentionally brief collection of thoughts that stood a chance to sell. Essentially a book dealing with mental illness.

Reactions: jazdoc

Asa

Dec 29, 2012
This is completely self-serving, of course, but I thought some of you might enjoy it. Genre: suspense-thriller.

The main protagonist is a prosecutor and former FBI special agent who collects 50's jazz/blues LPs...and later there's a Spanish assassin living in Paris who has a TT and a Shindo Petrus pre. I always try to drop in the odd hi-end reference here and there, just can't resist I suppose; hoping that some day some people like you might see it and get a chuckle.

When people ask, I always say: a beach book for smart people. So, if you can find a beach, you might enjoy it.

Cheers,

Mark

1645911679230.png

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
De geschiedenis vd lage landen .
History of the netherlands belgium and europe in general

Funny it reads basically as if written today
Full of Wartales , inflation complaints . powerstruggles etc

Beautifully written by Jaap ter haar

Attachments

• 20220502_145648.jpg
    20220502_145648.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Not surprised to see William of Orange on the cover.

My favorite book on NL is as exactingly detailed on the history and formation of state as it is hilariously out of date in the language it uses. Very first words are The Dutch are a very backwards people. Which immediately segues into Italianate castles falling before the first attack and all sort of other behaviors that would make one want to explore every single other possible land option. :D

rando

Sep 22, 2019
More likely it was an upfront attempt to set straight progress came in different ways from their neighbors. Who immediately bring to mind the pursuit of wealth and taste. An unexpectedly attention grabbing first line in an otherwise dense non-fiction book.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This one took a while but was excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing