What's Everyone Reading

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Al is right that people are using book pics to get past the no politics policy of WBF.

How do you know this? Perhaps he is simply on topic and answering the OP. That book is a NYT bestseller and I suspect people are reading it. I am rereading two books by George Orwell because I think he is relevant. I hear they are being banned in schools. Can't name them or even post photos of them because someone might be triggered. This is craziness.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Half measure as Ked and I said.

The political book covers will continue to elicit political discussion until you will modify your policy of not allowing political book pics in the first place.

You cannot have it both ways, Ron.

I respect the view that the posting of the photo of the cover of a political book is political expression. I understand that you are perceiving no substantive distinction between what you see as the political expression transmitted by the posting of the photo cover of a political book, and the posting of written commentary which elicits the same response from the interpreting viewer. (You are viewing equivalently, I believe, the posting of written commentary constituting a political statement and the political statement you deduce the person posting the photo of a cover of a political book is intending to photographically convey.)

This simply is not the rule we are going to follow here. The posting of a photo of the cover of a political book, depending on one's view, either A) is not political expression or B) is political expression. In deciding this issue we don't have to reach the question of whether A) is correct or B) is correct. I am not making any judgment whether A) is correct or B) is correct. Either way the bright line rule allows the posting of the photo of the cover of a political book.

If one's view is B) then please understand that this form of political expression is protected political expression under the long-standing rule allowing the posting of merely the covers of photos of political books without any written comment.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How do you know this? Perhaps he is simply on topic and answering the OP. That book is a NYT bestseller and I suspect people are reading it. I am rereading two books by George Orwell because I think he is relevant. I hear they are being banned in schools. Can't name them or even post photos of them because someone might be triggered. This is craziness.

Everyone reads politics daily too, so what you read is irrelevant. The point is about what you post here

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just wait until that bright line rule is invalidated by the inevitable responses that follow such posts.That's going to be fun.

A political comment triggered by the posting of the photo of the cover of a political book will be deleted. If you see a political comment that I missed, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Reactions: morricab

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A political comment triggered by the posting of the photo of the cover of a political book will be deleted.

Let the fun begin...

...and good luck with that.

As I said, Ron, you are trying to make rules that are impossible to follow because they artificially disregard human nature. We are humans, not robots.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . As I said, Ron, you are trying to make rules that are impossible to follow because they artificially disregard human nature. We are humans, not robots.

I promise I am not fencing with you, but I truly do not understand what this means. I honestly do not think the bright line rule will be difficult, let alone impossible, to follow.

Are you saying that you believe it is human nature that people literally cannot restrain themselves from taking action after experiencing an emotional reaction to setting eyes on the photo of the cover of a political book?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I promise I am not fencing with you, but I truly do not understand what this means. I honestly do not think the bright line rule will be difficult, let alone impossible, to follow.

Are you saying that you believe it is human nature that people literally cannot restrain themselves from taking action after experiencing an emotional reaction to setting eyes on the photo of the cover of a political book?

Just post left wing book pics and tag ddk if you want to test your thesis

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and Al M.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . you made an exception about political themes when it came to the constitution and constitutional law. That exception did not work out at all as it was taken as license to discuss politics in general anyway, and the thread ended in chaos and disaster -- at least from a WBF political rule standpoint.

. . .

Your recollection is correct, and my effort to craft and implement an exception was ill-advised and later abandoned.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just post left wing book pics and tag ddk if you want to test your thesis

Political comments posted by DDK in response to setting eyes on the photo of the cover of a book DDK considers to be Left wing will be deleted. If I miss such a post please do not hesitate to let me know.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Your recollection is correct, and my effort to craft and implement an exception was ill-advised and later abandoned.

The point that I am trying to make, Ron, is that you are attempting to make another "exception" here that is doomed to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.

Reactions: Bobvin and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.

Well I do pity those who delete my funny comments feeling them to be offensive

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Let the fun begin...

...and good luck with that.

As I said, Ron, you are trying to make rules that are impossible to follow because they artificially disregard human nature. We are humans, not robots.
So, you are saying that someone who posts a cover of a book they are reading, if it is political in nature, automatically triggers people to comment about the politics of that book (and if they haven't read that book then how do they know what is in that book to get triggered in the first place?). Do you automatically know the political leanings of someone who is reading that book? No, you do not know, so making comments about the person's ideology based on a book cover of something they are reading is faulty and people should simply comment that they like or dislike this book and nothing more. Anything else is just BS from the followup poster that should be deleted.

Reactions: tima

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The only pity is that more of those "funny" comments weren't deleted.

Yeah, because you don't understand Ked's humor that often has me ROFL to great pleasure. Pity on you.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So, you are saying that someone who posts a cover of a book they are reading, if it is political in nature, automatically triggers people to comment about the politics of that book (and if they haven't read that book then how do they know what is in that book to get triggered in the first place?). Do you automatically know the political leanings of someone who is reading that book? No, you do not know, so making comments about the person's ideology based on a book cover of something they are reading is faulty and people should simply comment that they like or dislike this book and nothing more. Anything else is just BS from the followup poster that should be deleted.
I totally agree

Here is what I posted as I am reading the book now...
I’m reading it as well. Fabulous read. However we don’t discuss politics here

Reactions: PeterA and morricab

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yeah, because you don't understand Ked's humor that often has me ROFL to great pleasure. Pity on you.
Al

with all due respect I find that now you are doing nothing except adding fuel to the fire

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al

with all due respect I find that now you are doing nothing except adding fuel to the fire

No, Steve, you and Ron are adding fuel to the fire by letting the nonsensical rule about political book covers stand.

You'll have to bear the consequences. Don't tell me you will be surprised about them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Al

So you accept Al isn't the original arsonist. Who started it?

Reactions: Lagonda and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m reading it as well. Fabulous read. However we don’t discuss politics here

"Fabulous read": Political comment.

Should be deleted by your own rules, Steve.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing