What's Everyone Reading

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fascinating that someone naming (picturing) a book they are reading is deemed worthy of deletion.

Maybe you could start your own thread: "What books are you burning?"

Al is right that people are using book pics to get past the no politics policy of WBF. Book pics would have been fine if an all out discussion was allowed. Now someone can give out a message, but it is not allowed to discuss or respond to him. Half methods are worse. Btw, "book burning" is a very daily mail headline. Shock the reader without addressing the subject

Reactions: jeff1225

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Al is right that people are using book pics to get past the no politics policy of WBF. Book pics would have been fine if an all out discussion was allowed. Now someone can give out a message, but it is not allowed to discuss or respond to him. Half methods are worse. Btw, "book burning" is a very daily mail headline. Shock the reader without addressing the subject

So you cannot accept the idea that someone is actually reading a book that might interest them or others. Secret subtext everywhere booga booga. And you want to set the conditions for a picture? Thank goodness Steve and Ron are more enlightened.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So you cannot accept the idea that someone is actually reading a book that might interest them or others. Secret subtext everywhere booga booga. And you want to set the conditions for a picture? Thank goodness Steve and Ron are more enlightened.

No that is not the point at all. You are possibly purposefully side stepping the point and deflecting to the book

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Fascinating that someone naming (picturing) a book they are reading is deemed worthy of deletion.

Maybe you could start your own thread: "What books are you burning?"

Ked said it perfectly in his answer to this somewhat condescending post of yours above.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't come whining to me about people's motives.
If you cannot accept the policy, talk to the forum owners.

No one's whining, you keep making posts about whining, book burning, to make the post you are replying to sound like that. You don't address the main point of censorship at all. The book pic should be deleted, or replies to it allowed. But of course since the book is to yours and Ron's political bias, this selective censorship suits you.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Ked is right. Half methods are worse.

Ron, I remember when there once was a thread about Covid I think (it might have been another topic) , and you made an exception about political themes when it came to the constitution and constitutional law. That exception did not work out at all as it was taken as license to discuss politics in general anyway, and the thread ended in chaos and disaster -- at least from a WBF political rule standpoint.

No half measures please. No politics is no politics.

Not allowing political book covers on WBF has nothing to do with "book burning". It is no more censorship than the censorship that does not allow for political discussions in the first place.

Reactions: bonzo75

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Don't come whining to me about people's motives.
If you cannot accept the policy, talk to the forum owners.
I'll tell you right now, the owners will not waiver on this. We do not discuss politics on this board. Period.

Tom

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
You should look up his YT videos on things like Operation Mincemeat.

I just finished reading Operation Mincemeat! It was very interesting.

This is the book, which is thoroughly recommended.

page_1.jpg

Thank you for letting me know Mr. MacIntyre is on YT. I'll be sure to look for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'll tell you right now, the owners will not waiver on this. We do not discuss politics on this board. Period.

Tom

No one said you should. The issue is that you are allowing political posts in terms of book pics

Reactions: Al M.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Ked is right. Half methods are worse.

After digesting response to request for clarity on a removed post.

One element I neglected to post late yesterday evening is presented below.

Don't half bang a drum.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No one said you should. The issue is that you are allowing political posts in terms of book pics
A book pic is not inherently political even if the book is. It is a statement of what that person is reading and as long as that reader makes no political comments about it (saying he likes the book is not political either) then it is not a political post. This should be obvious but there are always those who are triggered and can’t help but give a political opinion, which should be deleted.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Don't you guys have anything better to do than to play cat and mouse with Steve and me by knowingly posting about politics or political topics and seeing how far you can go before I delete the whole segment?

Don't be so easily "triggered." This is not Facebook. There is no rule that says you have to respond to every single thing you disagree with.

Rather than responding in a nearly unavoidably political manner to an inherently political question someone simply should have let me know that the inherently political question was posted.
Nothing I said was political, I was very specific in my wording. I would have posted the same commentary if someone posted a book by Rachel Maddow. If you want to learn about history, politics or civics, read a book written by an person in acidemia; not a political pundit that yells and screams on the airwaves.

Now if you want this thread to be about the posting of a picture of a book with no commentary, then please set those rules and I will be sure to abide by them.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I totally disagree with this. I would love to know what people are reading (more as a prompt to myself to look it up) even if it is political.

Hi Howie,

What are you disagreeing with?

Our bright line rule is that mere photos of the covers of political books may be posted.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Al is right that people are using book pics to get past the no politics policy of WBF. . . .

I respectfully disagree with your thesis. Steve can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that WBF has always allowed the posting of the photos of covers of all books, including political books.

The only thing that has changed, as far as I can tell, are some members' reactions merely to setting eyes on the cover of the photo of a book.

The only thing that went wrong here, as far as I can tell, is that we inadvertently allowed a political discussion to commence when we did not delete immediately the post soliciting comment and review of a political book whose cover photo had been posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I respectfully disagree with your thesis. Steve can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that WBF has always allowed the posting of the photos of covers of all books, including political books.

The only thing that has changed, as far as I can tell, are some members' reactions merely to setting eyes on the cover of the photo of a book.

The only thing that went wrong here, as far as I can tell, is that we inadvertently allowed a political discussion to commence when we did not delete immediately the post soliciting comment and review of a political book whose cover photo had been posted.

Half measure as Ked and I said.

The political book covers will continue to elicit political discussion until you will modify your policy of not allowing political book pics in the first place.

You cannot have it both ways, Ron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The book pic should be deleted, or replies to it allowed.

I just do not see this as being intuitively obvious. It is not at all clear to me why one necessarily follows from the other. What is the organic source of certainty for you on this point? Please explain your thinking underlying this view.

Fortunately the rule allowing the posting of the photos of the covers of all books is a bright line rule. Unfortunately enforcing the ban on political discussion is subjective and requires judgment.

The former is objective; we promise to do our best on the latter.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Now if you want this thread to be about the posting of a picture of a book with no commentary, then please set those rules and I will be sure to abide by them.

That is where we are trying to get back to. Thank you.

But it seems over-broad to prohibit the posting of brief commentary on non-political books on this thread. For example, if someone posts the photo of a cover of a cooking book, another member may reasonably want to mention that he/she cooked a recipe from the book and liked it.

Do you think we simply should prohibit on this thread the posting of any comment of any kind on any book? Or should we prohibit on this thread the posting of comments only on political books?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I just do not see this as being intuitively obvious. It is not at all clear to me why one necessarily follows from the other. What is the organic source of certainty for you on this point? Please explain your thinking underlying this view.

Fortunately the rule allowing the posting of the photos of the covers of all books is a bright line rule. Unfortunately enforcing the ban on political discussion is subjective and requires judgment.

The former is objective; we promise to do our best on the latter.

Just wait until that bright line rule is invalidated by the inevitable responses that follow such posts.That's going to be fun.

You are trying to make rules that are impossible to follow, Ron, because they artificially disregard human nature. We are humans, not robots.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is where we are trying to get back to. Thank you.

But it seems over-broad to prohibit the posting of brief commentary on non-political books on this thread. For example, if someone posts the photo of a cover of a cooking book, another member may reasonably want to mention that he/she cooked a recipe from the book and liked it.

Do you think we simply should prohibit on this thread the posting of any comment of any kind on any book? Or should we prohibit on this thread the posting of comments only on political books?
I thought the answer to this was obvious, why ask?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing