What's Everyone Reading

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
Any thoughts or comments? It is really hard to find a proper review of this book and the area it treats is a very comelling matter. I was wondering whether the author uncovered some deep analisys of the American society that could be worth of reading.
First, if you have an iPhone or iPad you can download a sample of the book.

As the title indicates, Mr.Levin feels American Marxism already exists and gives examples of how it started and how it's currently affecting the American society.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
First, if you have an iPhone or iPad you can download a sample of the book.

As the title indicates, Mr.Levin feels American Marxism already exists and gives examples of how it started and how it's currently affecting the American society.
The operative word is “feels.” He is not a historian, political scientist or a journalist.

Reactions: rando

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
The operative word is “feels.” He is not a historian, political scientist or a journalist.
Yes, feels is an operative word. For example, I don’t feel the need to have you or anyone else on this website approve of what I choose to read.

Reactions: tima

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Yes, feels is an operative word. For example, I don’t feel the need to have you or anyone else on this website approve of what I choose to read.
Of course you’re seeking approval, you’ve posted on a site that has a “like” button.

If you want to read fiction, I suggest you read the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connolly. It’s much better written and a lot more fun.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: morricab

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Any thoughts or comments? It is really hard to find a proper review of this book and the area it treats is a very comelling matter. I was wondering whether the author uncovered some deep analisys of the American society that could be worth of reading.

The problem here is that you are asking for comments on a political book. Your question will attract political answers which instantly or inevitably will run afoul of the WBF prohibition on political posts and discussions.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Good morning (or evening) everyone.

Recently I have been going through a little bit of a non fiction spy novel theme - I happen across an author by the name of Ben MacIntyre - a journalist Assc. Editor with The Times. I like his writing very much.

Here are two,

9780241972137.jpg
9780241986950.jpg

Reactions: Mark L and jeff1225

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
And this is one I just finished - which was a little heavy going - it is very long and detailed - and while his writing style is good, IMHO, it is hard keeping up with the myriad of characters. Well worth the effort if you have interested in the rise and fall of the East India Company espeically as it pertains to India.

Anarchy.jpg

Reactions: jazdoc and rando

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The author is a conservative american lawyer who worked in the Reagan administration and has been an outspoken critic of progressive-ism and state-ism. You may find you agree or disagree with him. He .has written many books defending conservatism and traditional American values. He can be wordy… his radio personna is not reason enough to dismiss his writings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mark L and PeterA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Don't you guys have anything better to do than to play cat and mouse with Steve and me by knowingly posting about politics or political topics and seeing how far you can go before I delete the whole segment?

Don't be so easily "triggered." This is not Facebook. There is no rule that says you have to respond to every single thing you disagree with.

Rather than responding in a nearly unavoidably political manner to an inherently political question someone simply should have let me know that the inherently political question was posted.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Don't you guys have anything better to do than to play cat and mouse with Steve and me by knowingly posting about politics or political topics and seeing how far you can go before I delete the whole segment?

Don't be so easily "triggered." This is not Facebook. There is no rule that says you have to respond to every single thing you disagree with.

Rather than responding in a nearly unavoidably political manner to an inherently political question someone simply should have let me know that the inherently political question was posted.
As many times as you and Steve have given admonition, people either don't get it or don't care. It's like shining a laser light on the floor to piss off your cat. Smart cats figure it out pretty quick but that doesn't stop people from continuing to shine the laser hoping they can still drive the cat nuts.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
  • Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Ron,

perhaps you should make it a rule that any post about reading an obviously political book (like in this case, "American Marxism") is a political post itself, which is against WBF rules. That would make common sense, since such a post will inevitably draw a discussion as happened here.

I see that the original post showing the cover of "American Marxism" has not been deleted yet. Being an overtly political post on its own, as I just argued, it should.

Thanks
Al

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

perhaps you should make it a rule that any post about reading an obviously political book (like in this case, "American Marxism") is a political post itself, which is against WBF rules. That would make common sense, since such a post will inevitably draw a discussion as happened here.

I see that the original post showing the cover of "American Marxism" has not been deleted yet. Being an overtly political post on its own, as I just argued, it should.

Thanks
Al

Dear Al,

Thank you for this thoughtful idea. I agree this is a possible solution.

However, while the posting of a photo of the cover of a book on this thread might legitimately be viewed as political expression, we apply a bright line rule that mere photos of the covers of political books may be posted. The concept of this thread is that people post photos of the covers of the books they are reading, but no more.

While photos of the covers of political books may be posted, questions about them and comments about them and political answers to political questions about them may not be posted. People who are emotionally triggered merely by setting eyes on a photo of a cover of a book the political content of which they disagree with will just have to steel themselves against posting a comment in response.

Prohibiting the posting of photos of the covers of political books strikes me as censorship and as a kind of internet book burning that even my anathema to politics on WBF does not allow me to countenance.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Ron,

Thanks
Al

Fascinating that someone naming (picturing) a book they are reading is deemed worthy of deletion.

Maybe you could start your own thread: "What books are you burning?"

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Dear Al,

Thank you for this thoughtful idea. I agree this is a possible solution.

However, while the posting of a photo of the cover of a book on this thread might legitimately be viewed as political expression, we apply a bright line rule that mere photos of the covers of political books may be posted. The concept of this thread is that people post photos of the covers of the books they are reading, but no more.

While photos of the covers of political books may be posted, questions about them and comments about them and political answers to political questions about them may not be posted. People who are emotionally triggered merely by setting eyes on a photo of a cover of a book the political content of which they disagree with will just have to steel themselves against posting a comment in response.

Prohibiting the posting of photos of the covers of political books strikes me as censorship and as a kind of internet book burning that even my anathema to politics on WBF does not allow me to countenance.
I totally disagree with this. I would love to know what people are reading (more as a prompt to myself to look it up) even if it is political.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Good morning (or evening) everyone.

Recently I have been going through a little bit of a non fiction spy novel theme - I happen across an author by the name of Ben MacIntyre - a journalist Assc. Editor with The Times. I like his writing very much.

Here are two,

View attachment 80150
View attachment 80151
Ben Macintyre is brilliant. You should look up his YT videos on things like Operation Mincemeat. Really good watching. Even my kids enjoyed it as he really conveys the sense of danger and craziness that is war and espionage.

Reactions: Andrew S.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing