What's Everyone Reading

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In my opinion, The Brothers Karamazov is much more difficult than The Idiot or Crime and Punishment. It is not a fast-pace book, so you need to save some patience for it. But it is definitely intellectually stimulating.
The Gambler is a good story Dostoyevsky as well.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Until seeing Carl13's post on Flag Day I couldn't figure out what had spurred me to pick this up a few days ago and weeks before the more prominent 4th of July holiday.

First edition copy of John Philip Sousa's "Marching Along : Recollections of Men , Women and Music." Apparently every other copy out there was signed by him or his daughter. :)

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Until seeing Carl13's post on Flag Day I couldn't figure out what had spurred me to pick this up a few days ago and weeks before the more prominent 4th of July holiday.

First edition copy of John Philip Sousa's "Marching Along : Recollections of Men , Women and Music." Apparently every other copy out there was signed by him or his daughter. :)

What's your favourite story from the book?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
What's your favourite story from the book?
With orchestra's five and ten year plans adapting to no travel outside the immediate area, but maintaining chance of crossing the pond to recover afterwards(!), this stuck out to me. "... ,he said," felt as if it required the full third and fourth pages in order to be fair to anyone reading.

0616211857a.jpg
0616211857b.jpg

Currently reading sequel to a book that spawned a lesser known Clint Eastwood movie of the same name, Firefox.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
It took Dostoevsky two years to write it. The Brothers Karamazov is a great philosophical novel analysing subjects which even today are considered controversial including God, free will, and morality.

View attachment 77865
In our high school western civ class, our teacher required us to read one Dostoevsky novel. One problem is that the school didn't have any Dostoevsky books, so we had to get one on our own. Most of the students did a little research and found "Notes from Underground" which I think was the shortest novel by Dostoevsky. I didn't do any research because my mother, who was a great reader, had a copy of Brothers K. lying around (she also had Camus, Kierkegaard, various Greek tragedies, etc. lying around the house). So, since it was free, I read Brothers K. I had to start it several times, getting lost in the various names that each of the characters had - but finally, as the deadline for completing the assignment approached, I read the book over a period of a few days. It was one of the great literary experiences of my life. I got to see my western civ teacher in 2013, at the 50th reunion of our high school class and thanked him for the education he provided (we also read the Shakespeare histories from Richard II to Richard III (minus the 3 Henry VI plays) as well as many other great works in this year long class.

Larry

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
With orchestra's five and ten year plans adapting to no travel outside the immediate area, but maintaining chance of crossing the pond to recover afterwards(!), this stuck out to me. "... ,he said," felt as if it required the full third and fourth pages in order to be fair to anyone reading.

View attachment 79179
View attachment 79180
I like the reply to the editor about the Marine Band. The last sentence is a killer. 'Except for these errors, the article is substantially correct.'

Reactions: rando

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
In our high school western civ class, our teacher required us to read one Dostoevsky novel. One problem is that the school didn't have any Dostoevsky books, so we had to get one on our own. Most of the students did a little research and found "Notes from Underground" which I think was the shortest novel by Dostoevsky. I didn't do any research because my mother, who was a great reader, had a copy of Brothers K. lying around (she also had Camus, Kierkegaard, various Greek tragedies, etc. lying around the house). So, since it was free, I read Brothers K. I had to start it several times, getting lost in the various names that each of the characters had - but finally, as the deadline for completing the assignment approached, I read the book over a period of a few days. It was one of the great literary experiences of my life. I got to see my western civ teacher in 2013, at the 50th reunion of our high school class and thanked him for the education he provided (we also read the Shakespeare histories from Richard II to Richard III (minus the 3 Henry VI plays) as well as many other great works in this year long class.

Larry
The way it used to work with me is that I opposed the books we had to read at school. I have always had a passion for reading books, but only the ones I found myself or were recommended to me, not the ones imposed on me by a teacher. In retrospect, I wish I was a bit wiser and read them with the same enthusiasm I had towards all the other books.

Respect to your mum and your western civ teacher.

Reactions: astrotoy

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I deal with this topic a lot in m professional life and have commented on this many times. Interesting that it is being formally studied.

PhonoDac2704

Oct 31, 2020
I didn't read the book, but having read a few reviews, it got me thinking that the binary line of argumentation and mindset is far from ideal. It looks like an interesting read, I may actually order it! Thanks for the recommendation!
Indeed, i just have read another his infamous "6 thinking hats". His book allow us to be lateral in meeting.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Somewhat fascinating exploration of events beginning as the last drop of ink ended the Civil War through turning over control of Haïti in the mid 30's. Been sitting on my shelf buried in a pile of books for a year or more until I was forced to topple it today.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Any thoughts or comments? It is really hard to find a proper review of this book and the area it treats is a very comelling matter. I was wondering whether the author uncovered some deep analisys of the American society that could be worth of reading.
Listen to his radio show for 5 minutes, you'll find that the answer to your question is no. He's not a journalist or a historian, he's a guy that loves to yell on the radio.

Don't waste your time.

Reactions: Ed.P and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing