- Shunt Regulator design

- Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply design

- Power Generation design

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Neil DeGrass Tyson-Space Chronicles

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
The holiday season is one of the few times I actually feel I have the brain space to digest anything. So, as is usual for me, I have three on the go:

41hn6QY+vBL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51HE+bttQ-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1509501703.jpg

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Adding another to the pile:

Michael-Lewis-The-Undoing-Project.jpg

*For those of you who've read Kahneman's Thinking, Fast & Slow, this provides a fascinating insight not only into Kahneman and Tversky's relationship and work, but highlights the problem of too small sample sizes and the risk of underpowered studies.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Adding another to the pile:

View attachment 30344

*For those of you who've read Kahneman's Thinking, Fast & Slow, this provides a fascinating insight not only into Kahneman and Tversky's relationship and work, but highlights the problem of too small sample sizes and the risk of underpowered studies.

Loved "Thinking, Fast and Slow". Look forward to this one.

Just finished Jonathan Haidt's "The Righteous Mind"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

"Tyler Cowen's blog, Marginal Revolution, is the first thing I read every morning. And his brilliant new book, The Complacent Class, has been on my nightstand after I devoured it in one sitting. I am at round-the-clock Cowen saturation right now."--Malcolm Gladwell

"Tyler Cowen is an international treasure. Endlessly inventive and uniquely wide-ranging, he has produced a novel account of what ails us: undue complacency. No one but Cowen would ask, 'Why Americans stopped rioting and instead legalized marijuana.' He admires risk-taking, and he likes restlessness, and he thinks the United States needs lots more of both. Don't be complacent: Read this book!"--Cass R. Sunstein, Harvard University, and author of #Republic: Divided Democracy in the Age of Social Media

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
IMG_5995.JPG

Illuminating and very clearly written.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

It was E. T. A. Hoffmann (1776-1822) who first explored many of the themes and techniques which were later used by writers from Dickens to Dostoyevsky, Poe to Kafka, Baudelaire to Marquez. His career reached a glorious climax in The Tomcat Murr, perhaps the strangest novel of the nineteenth century.. "Hoffmann was a follower of Cervantes and Sterne, a pioneering 'magic realist', fascinated by Gothic horror, extreme mental states and supernatural events occurring within sharply (and sometimes satirically) rendered social settings. A talented composer and painter, he portrayed himself in the guise of Johannes Kreisler - the hypochondriac, antisocial and moody but brilliant musician. In this astonishing book, a vain and very bourgeois tomcat sets out to write his memoirs, using a biography of Kreisler as a blotting pad. By a printer's error, the two lives get spliced together into a bizarre double narrative. A supreme example of literary bravado, The Tomcat Murr is also shot through with the warmth, humanity and almost uncanny ability to captivate his readers which make Hoffmann the greatest of German story-tellers.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

It’s easy to make fun of the artisanal-loving hipster bohos of Brooklyn, and many have done it before. Luckily, Ms. Rosenfeld is an astute anthropologist whose satire reaches fresh levels of absurdity. Thus, the building Matt and Karen live in is a “converted 19th-century macaroni factory,” whatever that is. The dads at Ruby’s new school all wear navy-blue ski caps, even though it is hot outside.

At Mather, the “arts enrichment” program includes a fourth-grade trip to “La Bohème” and, for the third grade, a “kid-friendly version of ‘Schindler’s List’” performed by “an experimental puppeteering troupe.”

Ms. Rosenfeld does not mean for us to like Karen all the time, and indeed, the character describes herself as a “neurotic elitist.” But as we ponder the bigger questions the book poses about race and class in America, subjects bravely tackled by the author through this flawed character, it can be exhausting to be always inside Karen’s brain, with its ricocheting emotions and kamikaze self-analysis. The unexamined life is surely not worth living, but the overexamined life — that’s a different kind of hell.

You want these characters to stop it with their aggressive parenting; their law-enforcement attitude toward food; their Talmudic attention to even the briefest encounter. And by the end of the book, Karen is learning to relax, at least a little, and to fetishize her emotions a bit less. It would be nice if we could all do that. Shut up. Just do the thing. Give the kid the cookie.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley and the Unlikely Ascent of "Hallelujah," by Alan Light (Atria Books, 2012).

Hallelujah.jpg

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley and the Unlikely Ascent of "Hallelujah," by Alan Light (Atria Books, 2012).

View attachment 33645

H Ron,

Sorry for interjecting this into the thread, which is, after all, about books, but if you haven't seen this, and are a fan of the song, this version never fails to move me to tears.

Be well,

853guy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing