zz.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just finished this very interesting book apropos to an ongoing WBF thread:

41W9ufVBVjL__SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Using a highly publicized thousand-dollar wager made between two scholars as a narrative framework, this gem of a book elucidates the extreme polarity between those who believe human ingenuity can solve the world's problems and those who foresee imminent doom. Sabin (Crude Politics) cleverly traces the ideological extremes through the careers of Paul Ehrlich, known for his warnings about explosive population growth, and his lesser known adversary Julian Simon, who advocated that technological advancement and market flexible would resolve threats of overpopulation. Sabin shows the evolution of both arguments through various presidencies. The Carter administration leaned toward Ehrlich's apocalyptic point of view; whereas Regan thought Simon's theories fit his own, especially in expanded energy production. The contrast between Al Gore and George W. Bush reflects the of polarization in the United States over environmental issues. Sabin offers a reasoned summary of the strengths and weaknesses on both sides, but ultimately he is interested in showing "how intelligent people are drawn to vilify their opponents and to reduce the issue that they care about to stark and divisive terms." To this end, Sabin provides a fascinating and highly readable archaeology of political science in America. (Sept.)

Review
“The Bet: Paul Ehrlich, Julian Simon, and Our Gamble over Earth’s Future provides surprising insights for anyone involved in addressing the world’s ‘wicked problems.’ Most of all, it gave me new perspective on why so many big challenges get bogged down in political battles rather than being focused on problem-solving . . . . I recommend The Bet to anyone wanting to understand the history of the divisive discussions we have today, especially the stalemate over climate change.”—Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, "The Best Books I Read in 2013," TheGatesNotes.com
(Bill Gates TheGatesNotes.com)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

If Jesse Owens is rightfully the most famous American athlete of the 1936 Berlin Olympics, repudiating Adolf Hitler’s notion of white supremacy by winning gold in four events, the gold-medal-winning effort by the eight-man rowing team from the University of Washington remains a remarkable story. It encompasses the convergence of transcendent British boatmaker George Pocock; the quiet yet deadly effective UW men’s varsity coach, Al Ulbrickson; and an unlikely gaggle of young rowers who would shine as freshmen, then grow up together, a rough-and-tumble bunch, writes Brown, not very worldly, but earnest and used to hard work. Brown (Under a Flaming Sky, 2006) takes enough time to profile the principals in this story while using the 1936 games and Hitler’s heavy financial and political investment in them to pull the narrative along. In doing so, he offers a vivid picture of the socioeconomic landscape of 1930s America (brutal), the relentlessly demanding effort required of an Olympic-level rower, the exquisite brainpower and materials that go into making a first-rate boat, and the wiles of a coach who somehow found a way to, first, beat archrival University of California, then conquer a national field of qualifiers, and finally, defeat the best rowing teams in the world. A book that informs as it inspires. --Alan Moores

I know squat about rowing, but this book captivated me. One of the best books I've ever read. Highly recommended.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just finished "Those Angry Days" by Lynne Olson.

She has really carved out a unique niche writing about the history of WWII Anglosphere politics. I enjoyed "Troublesome Young Men" about the men who sacrificed their own careers to bring Churchill to power and "Citizens of London" about key American players in the British-American alliance.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Took a two week vacation and read the first four books of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series:

"A Drink Before The War"

"Darkness Take My Hand"

"Sacred"

"Gone Baby Gone"

The stories definitely build on one another, although I'm sure they would be great as stand alone novels. "Darkness Take My Hand" was my favorite.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Also recently read "Horns" by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son)

Best known for his terrifying (really) debut novel, Heart-Shaped Box, and his famous dad, Joe Hill continues to make a name for himself with Horns, a dark, funny exploration of love, grief, and the nature of good and evil. Ignatius William Perrish wakes up bleary and confused after a night of drinking and "doing terrible things" to find he has grown horns. In addition to being horribly unsightly, these inflamed protuberances give Ig an equally ugly power--if he thinks hard enough, he can make people admit things (intimate, embarrassing, I-can't-believe-you-just-said-that details). This bizarre affliction is of particular use to Ig, who is still grieving over the murder of his childhood sweetheart (a grisly act the entire town, including his family, believes he committed). Horns is a wickedly fun read, and reveals Hill's uncanny knack for creating alluring characters and a riveting plot. Ig's attempts to track down the killer result in hilariously inappropriate admissions from the community, heartbreaking confessions from his own family, and of course, one hell of a showdown. --Daphne Durham

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Generations have been enthralled by Alexandre Dumas' characters, especially the wronged hero in The Count of Monte Cristo and the daring swordsmen in The Three Musketeers. Yet few realize that these memorable characters were inspired by Dumas' father, General Alex Dumas, the son of a French count and a black Haitian slave. Tom Reiss brings the elder Dumas alive with previously unpublished correspondence and meticulous research, providing the context necessary to understand how exceptional his life as a mulatto general in a slave-owning empire truly was. From single-handedly holding a bridge in the Alps against 20 enemies to spending years held captive in a fortress, Alex Dumas is a fascinating character that not even his son's vivid imagination could have dreamed up. --Malissa Kent

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Strain by Guillermo Del Torro & Chuck Hogan, now a TV Series.

Skip it. It's a snooze fest. One of the extremely rare times the TV or Film adaptation is actually better than the book. Now the series despite some really "reality stretchy" behavior by characters is pretty darned good.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
For my vacation reading I am doing "Wheelman" The Tour De France and the greatest sports conspiracy ever. Of course, I'll check in on WBF, Facebook (where I spend most of my time), CNN, Philly news, and Youtube.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Envy: A Theory of Social Behavior by Helmut Schoeck

Apparently he was into high end audio ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Hiroshima Nagasaki: the real story of the atomic bombings and their aftermath by Paul Ham
hiroshima cover.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea, Charles Seife

From Publishers Weekly
In a lively and literate first book, science journalist Seife takes readers on a historical, mathematical and scientific journey from the infinitesimal to the infinite. With clever devices such as humorously titled and subtitled chapters numbered from zero to infinity, Seife keeps the tone as light as his subject matter is deep. By book's end, no reader will dispute Seife's claim that zero is among the most fertile--and therefore most dangerous--ideas that humanity has devised. Equally powerful and dangerous is its inseparable counterpart, infinity, for both it and zero invoke to many the divine power that created an infinite universe from the void. The power of zero lies in such a contradiction, and civilization has struggled with it, alternatively seeking to ban and to embrace zero and infinity. The clash has led to holy wars and persecutions, philosophical disputes and profound scientific discoveries. In addition to offering fascinating historical perspectives, Seife's prose provides readers who struggled through math and science courses a clear window for seeing both the powerful techniques of calculus and the conundrums of modern physics: general relativity, quantum mechanics and their marriage in string theory. In doing so, Seife, this entertaining and enlightening book reveals one of the roots of humanity's deepest uncertainties and greatest insights. BOMC selection. (Feb.)
Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Adam Smith may have become the patron saint of capitalism after he penned his most famous work, The Wealth of Nations. But few people know that when it came to the behavior of individuals—the way we perceive ourselves, the way we treat others, and the decisions we make in pursuit of happiness—the Scottish philosopher had just as much to say. He developed his ideas on human nature in an epic, sprawling work titled The Theory of Moral Sentiments.

Most economists have never read it, and for most of his life, Russ Roberts was no exception. But when he finally picked up the book by the founder of his field, he realized he’d stumbled upon what might be the greatest self-help book that almost no one has read.

In How Adam Smith Can Change Your Life, Roberts examines Smith’s forgotten masterpiece, and finds a treasure trove of timeless, practical wisdom. Smith’s insights into human nature are just as relevant today as they were three hundred years ago. What does it take to be truly happy? Should we pursue fame and fortune or the respect of our friends and family? How can we make the world a better place? Smith’s unexpected answers, framed within the rich context of current events, literature, history, and pop culture, are at once profound, counterintuitive, and highly entertaining.

By reinvigorating Smith’s neglected classic, Roberts provides us with an invaluable look at human behavior through the lens of one of history’s greatest minds.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just finished Erik Larson's newest : "Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of The Lusitania"

dead wake.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing