What's Everyone Reading

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

From April to August of 1945, Captain Jerry Yellin and a small group of fellow fighter pilots flew dangerous bombing and strafe missions out of Iwo Jima over Japan. Even days after America dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima on August 6 and Nagasaki on August 9, the pilots continued to fly. Though Japan had suffered unimaginable devastation, the emperor still refused to surrender.

Bestselling author Don Brown (Treason) sits down with Yelllin, now ninety-three years old, to tell the incredible true story of the final combat mission of World War II. Nine days after Hiroshima, on the morning of August 14th, Yellin and his wingman 1st Lieutenant Phillip Schlamberg took off from Iwo Jima to bomb Tokyo. By the time Yellin returned to Iwo Jima, the war was officially over—but his young friend Schlamberg would never get to hear the news. The Last Fighter Pilot is a harrowing first-person account of war from one of America's last living World War II veterans.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just finished The Cartel' after reading 'The Power of the Dog', two excellent novels on the 'war on drugs' in Mexico by Don Winslow, who's a terrific writer IMO.

How was -'The Sixth Extnction'?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just finished The Cartel' after reading 'The Power of the Dog', two excellent novels on the 'war on drugs' in Mexico by Don Winslow, who's a terrific writer IMO.

How was -'The Sixth Extnction'?

The Sixth Extinction was excellent. Very well written and organized around a series of vignettes to drive home the larger message. Well anchored in science without diving too deep in the weeds. I think 'warmists' and 'skeptics' would both enjoy.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Good news for fans of George Smiley.
A new John Le Carre novel entitled "A Legacy of Spies" will be published this Thursday in the UK by Viking and features Peter Guillam, famously from" Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and George Smiley.

jdza

May 3, 2010
Good news for fans of George Smiley.
A new John Le Carre novel entitled "A Legacy of Spies" will be published this Thursday in the UK by Viking and features Peter Guillam, famously from" Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and George Smiley.

Wonderful. Released yesterday. Peter Guillam gets called in from deep in retirement as he is now accused of the death of the main characters in "The spy who came in from the cold" .That book was released in the early 60s. Le Carre revisits the skeleton cupboard at his somber, paranoid finest while at the same time highlighting the discomfort all of us ,scarred by the cold war one way or another , experience in the new millennium.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Ken Follett's third in the Kingsbridge trilogy. "A Column of Fire"

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
Algorithms-to-Live-By-2886724.jpg

Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
by Brian Christian, Tom Griffiths

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Started yesterday
Khrushchev: The Man and his Era
When finished I'm on to
Gorbachev: His life and times
Both by William Taubman

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Started yesterday
Khrushchev: The Man and his Era
When finished I'm on to
Gorbachev: His life and times
Both by William Taubman

I highly recommend Khrushchev on Khrushchev written by the son of the Premier.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I highly recommend Khrushchev on Khrushchev written by the son of the Premier.
I was tempted but Taubman is a very good writer so I went with him first.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Just finished Nassem Taleb's Incerto Trilogy

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Perfect companion to "Dunkirk"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Has liberalism failed because it has succeeded?

Of the three dominant ideologies of the twentieth century—fascism, communism, and liberalism—only the last remains. This has created a peculiar situation in which liberalism’s proponents tend to forget that it is an ideology and not the natural end-state of human political evolution. As Patrick Deneen argues in this provocative book, liberalism is built on a foundation of contradictions: it trumpets equal rights while fostering incomparable material inequality; its legitimacy rests on consent, yet it discourages civic commitments in favor of privatism; and in its pursuit of individual autonomy, it has given rise to the most far-reaching, comprehensive state system in human history. Here, Deneen offers an astringent warning that the centripetal forces now at work on our political culture are not superficial flaws but inherent features of a system whose success is generating its own failure.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Just finished Nassem Taleb's Incerto Trilogy

Just about to begin this - arrived on the doorstep this morning.

9780525511076.jpeg

Best,

853guy

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Looking forward to that one!

Jazdoc, that is crazy. I literally put this in my Book Depository basket just yesterday.

9780199668717.jpg

Can you also see what I'm wearing?

Best,

853guy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing