Canon's New 50 megapixel DSLRs: 5Ds and 5Ds R

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is about time that Canon gets back on top of pixel count race that it conceded to Sony and Nikon.

This is not a replacement for the current 5D Mark III as the photosites are smaller and hence noise level is higher. In all other respects though, it is an improvement over the older version.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0348597696/nifty-fifty-canon-eos-5ds-5ds-r-first-impressions-review

Great to see so much attention given to camera stabilization in the form of reducing mirror slap vibrations. Love the Auto-ISO and its bias mechanism.

My "go to" camera is still the first generation 5D. Come this June when this camera is supposed to be available, maybe I finally upgrade :).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
amazing...50 Mpix now....Most photogs don't need that much resolution unless you are printing poster size or bigger stuff. Lots of room for hi-rez cropping though...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mine is 12 megapixels so it is a nice upgrade :). And yes, my prime application is cropping. It is nice to be able to "recompose" after you take a picture.

The lens on it is also new. It is a 11-24 *zoom* that is rectilinear (i.e. not a fisheye). It is a lens I love to have but like all the recent lenses from Canon, it is insanely priced at $3,000. Almost the same price as the camera! I do fair bit of interior shots for Madrona (client project showcases) and would come in very handy for that. But the cost... Oh man.... Crossing fingers that street prices will be good bit lower.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Looks interesting; I am still at 10 megapixels with my 40D, which has proven to be a workhorse. Have to go full-frame next, either 5D MkIII or more likely the 6D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Pixel wars, like the volume wars is just stupid.

Cramming 50 MP into an FX or worse DX seized sensor is as stupid as the point and shoot cameras that squeeze 10 MP or more into a 6 x 8 mm or smaller sized sensor.

These new cameras may have a lot of pixels, but unlike their older, lower MP brothers, these new cameras have many crappy pixels instead of fewer good ones because they are simply too small to work well.

Noise, low ISO range and other problems will infect what used to be the better camera series.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Gary ...50 mix works very well on medium format cams like lief and phase one camera backs...I agree...for slrs, perhaps not a great idea. I still slum it with my 21 mpix Canon 1DS Mk3....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Gary ...50 mix works very well on medium format cams like lief and phase one camera backs...I agree...for slrs, perhaps not a great idea. I still slum it with my 21 mpix Canon 1DS Mk3....

The medium format backs with many MP are excellent because their pixels are large and you'll pay over $40k for the privilege--about ten times what the DSLR's are going for.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For landscape work that is one of the two target markets for this camera, ISO sensitivity is not important. I am usually on a tripod and shooting at low ISO. So as long as this performs as well as my first gen 5D, I will be good :).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Pixel wars, like the volume wars is just stupid.

Cramming 50 MP into an FX or worse DX seized sensor is as stupid as the point and shoot cameras that squeeze 10 MP or more into a 6 x 8 mm or smaller sized sensor.

These new cameras may have a lot of pixels, but unlike their older, lower MP brothers, these new cameras have many crappy pixels instead of fewer good ones because they are simply too small to work well.

Noise, low ISO range and other problems will infect what used to be the better camera series.

in our super-amateur experience...we have found the most benefit from a high-quality lens, good programming (ie, lots and lots of pre-settings we dont have to figure out how to set the camera), and i suppose good 'processing' inside the camera...higher/lower megapixels did not give us the color, density of image, beautiful nuanced images under low lighting, etc when we compared cameras.

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
The medium format backs with many MP are excellent because their pixels are large and you'll pay over $40k for the privilege--about ten times what the DSLR's are going for.

You can get a 51MP Pentax 645Z medium format camera Body for a little over 8K, you can find an older but still new Pentax 645D with 40MP for a little over 4K.

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
Mine is 12 megapixels so it is a nice upgrade :). And yes, my prime application is cropping. It is nice to be able to "recompose" after you take a picture.

The lens on it is also new. It is a 11-24 *zoom* that is rectilinear (i.e. not a fisheye). It is a lens I love to have but like all the recent lenses from Canon, it is insanely priced at $3,000. Almost the same price as the camera! I do fair bit of interior shots for Madrona (client project showcases) and would come in very handy for that. But the cost... Oh man.... Crossing fingers that street prices will be good bit lower.

Have you seen the cut-away of that new wide angle zoom? It is not really insanely priced once you see what went into it. low volume lenses will always be more expensive. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4273095999/cp-2015-canon-shows-11-24mm-in-cross-section

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks. I had not seen that. Seems like a complex beast to assemble. Still too expensive though :). Release date is 6 days from now and pre-order pricing still $3K. Let's see what happens when shipping starts.

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
One thing about buying quality Canon lenses is they retain a lot of there original value. I have around $40K original cost in cameras and lenses that have lost a lot of value over the years, my medium format Bronica zooms are worth maybe a couple hundred dollars each now and were about $2K each new. About the only stuff I have that is worth more now than what I paid for it are my old Rollei Twin lens cameras. My Canon L lenses have lost a little value but not enough that it bothers me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing