Condition of these heads?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Based on the 2 pictures it looks to me like these are in good condition. Are they?

CIMG2554.JPG CIMG2558.JPG

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Based on the above photos I really can't tell. I'd need something with better lighting/angle.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Based on the above photos I really can't tell. I'd need something with better lighting/angle.

Thanks Bruce. What kind of angle are you looking for?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Something where I can see the center of the head with no shadows/reflection. Need to see if there is a flat spot and how symmetrical it is.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The seller tried to take pics, but couldn't get rid of reflections to get a clear image. The unit I'm looking at is in as close to mint as you'll find, so I took a chance and bought it. The price was too good and his trading score is excellent. He's sold several R2R's and all of the comments were extremely positive. I have a good feeling about this. I've walked away before as my gut told me to, but this just feels right.

This is the unit I bought. It's not a Studer or a Revox or an Otari, but I'm ok with that.

Pioneer RT-909.jpg

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
If you ever have head-related problems with the deck, you can send the headblock off to JRF for relapping and realigning. The pinch rollers and capstan belt often go south in this deck: Use Terrysrubberrollers.com to re-cover the rollers and Marrs Communications for the belt. Also, tension-arm switches are a common failure item.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The seller tried to take pics, but couldn't get rid of reflections to get a clear image. The unit I'm looking at is in as close to mint as you'll find, so I took a chance and bought it. The price was too good and his trading score is excellent. He's sold several R2R's and all of the comments were extremely positive. I have a good feeling about this. I've walked away before as my gut told me to, but this just feels right.

This is the unit I bought. It's not a Studer or a Revox or an Otari, but I'm ok with that.

View attachment 18797

congratulations on the acquisition John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you ever have head-related problems with the deck, you can send the headblock off to JRF for relapping and realigning. The pinch rollers and capstan belt often go south in this deck: Use Terrysrubberrollers.com to re-cover the rollers and Marrs Communications for the belt. Also, tension-arm switches are a common failure item.

Thank you very much for the info. I will keep it handy just in case. Much appreciated!:D
congratulations on the acquisition John
Thank you Steve! I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

View attachment 18797

Don't worry about brand approval. Pioneer made great decks. Trust me, you will love it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice one john, nice machine, join the club:D
Regarding tapes , ive gotten a whole bunch for free from a guy with a connenction at the dutch broadcasting company they sound great as well , you dont need expensive SM 900 tape to get the tape sound

Last edited:

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Awesome tape deck John. Glad you finally broke the ice and took the plunge!

Now, get your butt in gear and get some tapes to play on that beauty.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys! :D I'm looking forward to playing around with it, although that's still a few weeks away. Between this unit and the new TT I'll be a busy camper.

When ordering blank tape should I buy the ones with metal or plastic reels? Does it make a difference storage wise?

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Thanks guys! :D I'm looking forward to playing around with it, although that's still a few weeks away. Between this unit and the new TT I'll be a busy camper.

When ordering blank tape should I buy the ones with metal or plastic reels? Does it make a difference storage wise?

10.5" tape will be on metal reels. I generally scour eBay and other sites to try and find old lots of old worthless Ampex (that likely suffers from sticky shed syndrome) tape just for the metal reels. I scored a lot of 15 that the metal reels where all in excellent condition and I got them cheap.

The tape itself is generally cheaper if you buy it on pancake reels. You mount that onto your empty reel yourself and then splice on your own leaders.

Come to think of it you will also benefit from getting a good tape degausser, tape splicer, spicing tape, leader tape and hold down tape. The essential elements of any tapeheads toolkit.

Reactions: DexterMiller

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
10.5" tape will be on metal reels. I generally scour eBay and other sites to try and find old lots of old worthless Ampex (that likely suffers from sticky shed syndrome) tape just for the metal reels. I scored a lot of 15 that the metal reels where all in excellent condition and I got them cheap.

The tape itself is generally cheaper if you buy it on pancake reels. You mount that onto your empty reel yourself and then splice on your own leaders.

Come to think of it you will also benefit from getting a good tape degausser, tape splicer, spicing tape, leader tape and hold down tape. The essential elements of any tapeheads toolkit.

Thanks for that Fred! Really busy right now to start sourcing out any of this, but I will come mid-March. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing