Apple iWatch Coming April 2015

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's one of the main reasons I returned mine.

I still don't understand what the hangup is about charging the watch. Charge time is under 2 hours and I have never expended the full charge in my waking hours. I never wear my watch to bed and that's when I charge it. So what am I missing. I don't see it as a toy at all but a complete health and fitness diary for me that I carry all the time. If you use it as a toy like you probably did Dan you likely expended the charge playing all your apps. When I go to bed at night I always have 40-50% charge left

How come you guys aren't complaining about the need to charge your phones or other devices

IMHO the need to criticize the need to charge it is just plain silly

How many times have I been caught with unanswered calls because my phone isn't my person but now when my phone rings I can answer it on my wrist and the speaker is terrific. The screen colors are also excellent Same applies for sending or receiving texts as I can now do this (as well as emails) instantly from my Apple Watch

I have none of those gripes at all and it functions as a useful tool. The new OS will appear in the net few months and many of the immediate real issues will be addressed

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, I still use an Apple iMac flat screen desk top computer. It's great. And I always thought the Mac/Apple user interface is what the company is famous for.
I have a Mac IIci in our attic still! Sadly, I threw away my original Apple II. It was the computer that got me to fall in love with computers and away from electronic design.

I'm no techie, but isn't Apple more than just the ipod and iphone?
From the point of view of economic engine, i.e. producing vast amount of revenue and profits, no. To be fair, I misspoke and the company has almost three things: iPod, iPad and iPhone. iPod's time has come and gone though so we are down to two locomotives pulling the company ahead in the eyes of investors. It is just hard to create platforms that generate billions and billions of dollars in earnings.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I still don't understand what the hangup is about charging the watch. Charge time is under 2 hours and I have never expended the full charge in my waking hours. I never wear my watch to bed and that's when I charge it. So what am I missing. I don't see it as a toy at all but a complete health and fitness diary for me that I carry all the time. If you use it as a toy like you probably did Dan you likely expended the charge playing all your apps. When I go to bed at night I always have 40-50% charge left

How come you guys aren't complaining about the need to charge your phones or other devices
I am :). I forgot to plug in my phone last night to charge. Woke up this morning and see it with 39% charge. Made me grumpy that I had to charge it now and meanwhile I may not hear it ring.

Likewise, I lived with a watch that needed overnight charge. After a while, I got sick of having two things to baby to be charged.

Going from something that never needed charging to one that does (i.e. watch), is a heck of a lot different than dealing with something that always needed charging (i.e. phone).

From a computing point of view, I see little value to miniaturization of the phone, while crippling it in so many ways. As a special health device, well, I wish they made it bigger and larger display and battery.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Amir, could one also consider Airplay (ok video much lesser extent compared to audio streaming)?
Seems to be the near ubiquitous wireless consumer solution for streaming.

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, could one also consider Airplay (ok video much lesser extent compared to audio streaming)?
Seems to be the near ubiquitous wireless consumer solution for streaming.

Cheers
Orb
Putting aside that others have it (Chromecast), it doesn't qualify because it doesn't generate meaningful money to propel a company with the size and valuation of Apple. Apple is certainly more than those two products but the success of this magnitude is driven by those two products. As Steve Ballmer used to say, "if either Office or Windows sneeze and we have a decline of 10% in revenue, there will be hell to pay." Such is the challenge for Apple. They better how that the growth of those two products doesn't slow down and catch the same cold that Microsoft has with Windows.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Going from something that never needed charging to one that does (i.e. watch), is a heck of a lot different than dealing with something that always needed charging (i.e. phone).

Really? Having to charge phones is only a recent phenomenon.

And I find it to be a hassle, especially having to buy and have handy all of the various charging devices for the car, and house. Better not misplace one.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Really? Having to charge phones is only a recent phenomenon.
Mobile phones always needed charging. Mobile watches did not. :D

And I find it to be a hassle, especially having to buy and have handy all of the various charging devices for the car, and house. Better not misplace one.
Travel makes it super painful. Have to spread all of this at night to charge, then put it all away. And the anxiety during the day of how to charge them as their percentage charge goes down.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Travel makes it super painful. Have to spread all of this at night to charge, then put it all away. And the anxiety during the day of how to charge them as their percentage charge goes down.

You must be more sensitive than I am, Amir. I just plug my phone and laptop into an outlet in the hotel room before I go to sleep, unplug them in the morning. Not much of a hassle at all.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You must be more sensitive than I am, Amir. I just plug my phone and laptop into an outlet in the hotel room before I go to sleep, unplug them in the morning. Not much of a hassle at all.

Tim

I have the phone, the tablet and laptop to charge. The watch would make it four. If I have my camera with me, that would be five. Man can only become so much slaved to technology before he gets disgusted. :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We rely on electricity big time, except for our cars, trucks, boats and planes (gas).

We use electricity to charge our laptops, cell phones, tablets, portable Blu-ray players, and to power our stereo hi-fi sound systems and home theater surround sound/picture systems.
...And now our watches need to be charged too (or the batteries replaced). Where I live it's not unusual to get power black outs...and up to few days sometimes, and twice or thrice a year, if not more.
When it hits, no more phone line of course, and no more TV cable, and no more Internet surfing. ...We realize how dependent of all those gadgets we all are, and for some people their business depends on it too. So some people have gas generators, solar panels, wind turbines, wave energy accumulators, ... and if you don't you might have flashlights, or if not candles and matches, batteries powered radios (AM/FM/Short Waves), ...forget pizzas in the oven, no toasts and eggs and hash browns for breakfast, cereals perhaps with hot milk (fridge is caput, and the frozen meat is lost), ...and some of us we just don't know what to do so we do the first thing that naturally comes to us; we panic and call our neighbors from our cars cigarette lighters if they would provide us shelters close to their fireplaces (we have none ourselves and in the middle of winter the temperature is forty below zero...ice storm or some' similar...ten feet of cold snow).

The temperature around the globe is changing (the Pacific Blob for instance), and we need to adjust with it.

I find it interesting, today's latest technologies and yet we cannot fix the planet's main priorities. ...Just a simple observation, that's all.

* Electric cars don't make the cut...and we know why. ...But electric watches, why not...still better than gas. ;-)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Putting aside that others have it (Chromecast), it doesn't qualify because it doesn't generate meaningful money to propel a company with the size and valuation of Apple. Apple is certainly more than those two products but the success of this magnitude is driven by those two products. As Steve Ballmer used to say, "if either Office or Windows sneeze and we have a decline of 10% in revenue, there will be hell to pay." Such is the challenge for Apple. They better how that the growth of those two products doesn't slow down and catch the same cold that Microsoft has with Windows.

Yeah good point and perspective.
Cheers
Orb

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Being the objectivist that I am, I understood you to mean exactly what you had written: "phone". No mention of it being mobile. :D

Now reading the qualification of your previous statement, yes, I agree with your point. Having to charge one's wristwatch, like his mobile phone, daily or even every few hours is pretty cumbersome.

Simple electronic wristwatches use batteries that can last for years, or can be solar powered.

But this is not just a simple wristwatch as we are constantly being told. It is so much more, so perhaps the users accept this level of effort to have the latest and greatest mobile device.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

How many times have I been caught with unanswered calls because my phone isn't my person but now when my phone rings I can answer it on my wrist and the speaker is terrific. The screen colors are also excellent Same applies for sending or receiving texts as I can now do this (as well as emails) instantly from my Apple Watch

I have none of those gripes at all and it functions as a useful tool. The new OS will appear in the net few months and many of the immediate real issues will be addressed

I guess someone who doesn't play golf, might consider using a Golf GPS app on the iWatch to be a "toy," instead of a "useful tool."

The Golf apps I tried gave me yardages, but required the use of my iPhone to enter data and navigate to the next hole. A Waste of time and effort.

Steve Williams

perhaps a different sport for you Dan

I can't stop smiling at you guys with the hypocrisy of having to charge the watch but it's OK to charge your phone. BTW the watch charges much quicker than my phone. Both happen every night while I'm sleeping and wake up each morning like nothing happened

This is not a watch guys. I use it to tell time only occasionally

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I can't stop smiling at you guys with the hypocrisy of having to charge the watch but it's OK to charge your phone. BTW the watch charges much quicker than my phone. Both happen every night while I'm sleeping and wake up each morning like nothing happened

If not a watch, then what should the iWatch have been called to better describe it?

No hypocrisy here. I hate having to charge my iPhone. And I'm glad I don't have to also charge my iMac or my watch. I really don't enjoy having to charge anything.

I would make an exception for a battery powered turntable motor controller.

Steve Williams

If not a watch, then what should the iWatch have been called to better describe it?

No hypocrisy here. I hate having to charge my iPhone. And I'm glad I don't have to also charge my iMac or my watch. I really don't enjoy having to charge anything.

I would make an exception for a battery powered turntable motor controller.
how do you say "fuddy duddy ;)"

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

Steve,

I've lived on the same golf course for the last 26 years, they don't have tennis courts or an upscale gym like your course probably provides, so it's just golf.

In the late afternoon, I can play 9 holes for $9.38.

Here's a picture of the view from my deck:

PCC 517.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing