Apple iWatch Coming April 2015

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Tim Cooke has announced April as the launch of the iWatch with three different models, the Watch, the Watch Sport and the Watch Edition in gold which is rumored to have an MSRP of several thousands of dollars.

I must admit that I wasn't terribly interested in this technology when it was first announced in August 2014 but since I have the new iPhone 6+ I find myself ever involved in the daily Health App that comes with iOs8. I have been charting my daily steps, flights climbed and miles walked or biked. This has stirred my interest in other add on health apps which integrate with the supplied one. I have been using different sleep programs as well. As a result I think I am going to buy the basic iWatch as from what I understand all three watch versions perform the same tasks. The Sport looks somewhat plastic to me when compared to the Basic watch as I am assuming it is water proof as well.

So who else out there plans to buy an iWatch and integrate your life with this highly advanced bit of technology?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you find the stats reliable Steve? The step counter on my Samsung Edge is way optimistic. It is claiming I have take 3000 steps today and I can assure you that is not remotely right :). The bio sensors on the back may be right but I have not checked them against anything else.

Steve Williams

I do check mine. I am doing 5 miles on the bike each day and typically do between 8000-11000 steps per day. I have counted many times and checked against it and I would say it is greater than 95% accurate. What I find not entirely accurate is the flight of stairs climbed and often times I will add a data point.The health app will link health data with many of the other health apps out there BUT the iWatch will do it all in one. I am not finding great accuracy in the sleep apps but the watch detects sleep cycles while being worn.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I think I may try one. I like the prospect of the health monitoring aspects of the watch.

Steve Williams

I like a more refined and mechanical watch. I am an iPad and iPhone user. No iwatch for me.

Christian as far as a refined watch there is nothing that comes close. Have a look at the guy who designed it. It's way ahead of anything you've got. Frankly I would have thought you would buy the Edition. You need to look again. Don't prejudge.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian as far as a refined watch there is nothing that comes close. Have a look at the guy who designed it. It's way ahead of anything you've got. Frankly I would have thought you would buy the Edition. You need to look again. Don't prejudge.

I hear you...nice styling for a digital watch....That is not what I look for in a wrist watch. That said, I do wear a Gramin Vivosmart fitness band on my right wrist. Gives me a buzz when it's time to move and get off my butt....;)

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think the Watch is an impossible thing to prejudge.

Steve Williams

Well the Apple Keynote by Tim Cook just concluded and they are releasing some (IMO) really intriguing products as well as the iWatch

Christian, this is the future of wrist devices. You might own a tricked out watch for beaucoup $$$ but having seen the Keynote I must admit that I am ordering one on the preorder of April 10th with delivery on April 24. After all yours is just a big clunker of a watch (as are all of mine). But then again you can order the iWatch Edition in 18K gold which starts at $10K

I am going with the 42mm iWatch in dark anodized stainless steel with with a black (possibly white) leather band. The nice thing about it is that it links via blue tooth to your iPhone anywhere in the house with fully capable functions of your iPhone,

Christian you need to have a second look at it because I will bet money that it is more accurate in telling time (accuracy is the same as an atomic watch) than your uber watches as well as doing everything your iPhone does including Apple Pay

I was also encouraged to hear that Apple is getting big time involved in health, home and car apps where everything will be totally integrated by your iWatch. It was also a noble gesture on Apple's part to make their health and health study kit an Open App to be used across all platforms

You're thinking 20th century Christian ;). I can't wait to get mine

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I wasn't to excited about the watch since they first talked about it last September but after watching todays Apple event I might just give one a try. It will even function as a phone if your iPhone in the house (Like my iPad and MacBook Air)

I have enough mechanical and automatic watches that don't get worn.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well the Apple Keynote by Tim Cook just concluded and they are releasing some (IMO) really intriguing products as well as the iWatch

Christian, this is the future of wrist devices. You might own a tricked out watch for beaucoup $$$ but having seen the Keynote I must admit that I am ordering one on the preorder of April 10th with delivery on April 24. After all yours is just a big clunker of a watch (as are all of mine). But then again you can order the iWatch Edition in 18K gold which starts at $10K

I am going with the 42mm iWatch in dark anodized stainless steel with with a black (possibly white) leather band. The nice thing about it is that it links via blue tooth to your iPhone anywhere in the house with fully capable functions of your iPhone,

Christian you need to have a second look at it because I will bet money that it is more accurate in telling time (accuracy is the same as an atomic watch) than your uber watches as well as doing everything your iPhone does including Apple Pay

I was also encouraged to hear that Apple is getting big time involved in health, home and car apps where everything will be totally integrated by your iWatch. It was also a noble gesture on Apple's part to make their health and health study kit an Open App to be used across all platforms

You're thinking 20th century Christian ;). I can't wait to get mine

I'll be glad to buy your old JLCs and IWC for half price because of a dorky nano on a wrist :)

Steve Williams

I wasn't to excited about the watch since they first talked about it last September but after watching todays Apple event I might just give one a try. It will even function as a phone if your iPhone in the house (Like my iPad and MacBook Air)

I have enough mechanical and automatic watches that don't get worn.

It functions as a phone via blue tooth integration. I have been favorably swayed. I love the health apps especially, as well as apps for the car and home. The world is a rapidly changing place. First off none of our kids wear watches as they all use their smart phones. No one wants a wrist device anymore if it is just to tell time (and poorly at that). The iWatch integrates your life with the world around you. It sends and receives texts and photos. It sends and creates reminders. In fact it does everything the iPhone does. You can even pair your iwatch with someone else's and you can draw pictures to share with them. Bear in mind that this is the first generation iwatch and refinement is sure to follow with newer models

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I enjoyed the presentation.

I plan to order a 42mm Sport iWatch in Space Gray with a Black Sport Band.

I'm hoping there will be a golf course GPS app.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It functions as a phone via blue tooth integration. I have been favorably swayed. I love the health apps especially, as well as apps for the car and home. The world is a rapidly changing place. First off none of our kids wear watches as they all use their smart phones. No one wants a wrist device anymore if it is just to tell time (and poorly at that). The iWatch integrates your life with the world around you. It sends and receives texts and photos. It sends and creates reminders. In fact it does everything the iPhone does. You can even pair your iwatch with someone else's and you can draw pictures to share with them. Bear in mind that this is the first generation iwatch and refinement is sure to follow with newer models

If it does everything an iPhone does, why do i need it. An who wants to text, FB, or tweet on a 2" screen.

biggest problem for the Watch is women's acceptance- I think it flops big time.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The iwatch does not really interest me, so I bought this instead...Hublot King Power Black Magic...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 98

Steve Williams

Yes, it is a stop watch too. That is all I want in a watch. It appears you need to carry your iPhone to get the most out of an iwatch.

ahh n
but Christian if all you want in a watch is a stop watch then why Hublot :confused:(which BTW I think is the nicest looking watch out there but it like all wrist band watches has truly come to the end of the road) BTW I will bet you the accuracy of the stop watch on the iWatch is better than the accuracy on your Hublot as the iWatch syncs with an atomic clock

Again, I love the Hublot although I would have gone with the Big Bang series but for a stop watch only not for me

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing