Integrated amplifier with DAC or stereo amp and preamp with DAC - advice needed

mirekti

Feb 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I find it quite interesting.

Most likely I will end up with Focal Electra 1028 BE, and I am in a search for amplifier.
Could you recommend me something in a price range to $5000 that would pair well with Focal speakers?

I listen to various types of music, but mostly new age Jazz. I would prefer that the combination can be used on 110V/220V.
Up to now my favorite is Parasound Halo Integrated, but not so familiar with other options.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hegel has an integrated amp. in that price range, and I believe, some even cheaper models.
They were pretty solid every time I auditioned them.

alexandre

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A little further up in price ($6500) is the stupendously good Devialet 120... Look for used model (not that many out there on the used market from what I can gleam, though)

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Musical Fidelity also has a few integrated options. Something like the Parasound P5 could be up your alley, then you have a few thousand to play with to get a nice, solid amp.

This may sound laughable, but my best system to date has been using the Essence HDACC with a 30 year old Mitsubishi DA-A30. I actually prefer this sound to my SET monoblocks, and I prefer it to any other combination, including the Chord Hugo. That pairing really gives a sense of depth, realism, and spatial quality that I haven't heard since demoing the Wilson Alexias. The Essence offers one pair of RCA inputs and several digital inputs, including HDMI.

mirekti

Feb 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
A little further up in price ($6500) is the stupendously good Devialet 120...

Wow, this looks nice (my wife would be happy) and the reviews are quite positive. I was always a bit suspicious about the class D amps, but this one really seem to be good.
Ideally I would test it before the purchase, will see if there are any dealers close to me.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I find it quite interesting.

Most likely I will end up with Focal Electra 1028 BE, and I am in a search for amplifier.
Could you recommend me something in a price range to $5000 that would pair well with Focal speakers?

I listen to various types of music, but mostly new age Jazz. I would prefer that the combination can be used on 110V/220V.
Up to now my favorite is Parasound Halo Integrated, but not so familiar with other options.

Job 250 monoblocs and Job Pre2 preamp...Total $5100 new with delivery, and voltage selectable. Add$900 more for 3 sweetcords, if you like.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hegel has an integrated amp. in that price range, and I believe, some even cheaper models.
They were pretty solid every time I auditioned them.

alexandre

I have a friend who bought a Hegel integrated and has had nothing but trouble with it. He has sent it in twice for repairs in the 2 months he has owned it. I'm assuming he got it used, so it may not speak to their overall product quality.

Vette

Feb 2, 2014
The new Parasound Halo integrated amp @ $2,495 would be an excellent budget choice < $5,000. It has many features more expensive units do not have. The new McIntosh MA5200 @ $4,500 assures top quality performance, reliability, and resale value. A mint pre-owned McIntosh MA6600/6700/7900 < $5,000 would really compliment the quality and appearance of the Focal speakers with no long-term regrets and need to upgrade..

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Job 250 monoblocs and Job Pre2 preamp...Total $5100 new with delivery, and voltage selectable. Add$900 more for 3 sweetcords, if you like.

I would look for a good DAC with volume control in the <3.5K range. Best would be a used Berkeley Alpha 2, which typically sells for around that. The much cheaper NAD M51 is also very good choice. Then get Job 225 stereo amp and stay within budget. You could even get the single box (DAC/PReamp/Amp) NAD C 390DD for $2500 and call it a day.

dr.sah

Jun 18, 2014
Take a look on NuPrime IDA-16, nice integrated amp with good dac, and price is 2600dollars, new!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I would look for a good DAC with volume control in the <3.5K range. Best would be a used Berkeley Alpha 2, which typically sells for around that. The much cheaper NAD M51 is also very good choice. Then get Job 225 stereo amp and stay within budget. You could even get the single box (DAC/PReamp/Amp) NAD C 390DD for $2500 and call it a day.

Yes, I thought he had moved away from the idea of the incorprated Dac. My bad.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I would recommend Wyred 4 Sound MPre (with built in DAC and headphone amp) for $ 1,099 and ST Mk2 500 wpc class D amps $1,499. Lot's of room in your budget for inexpensive W4S balance cables, etc. The remote control is not the best but does the job. Both does not occupy too much space in your rack and very convenient to use together with 12v trigger. I have them in one of my demo systems driving a Von Schweikert VR35 with pleasing result.

I have a customer who is a long time Bryston user and had gone through a number of more expensive tubed and SS stuff (including Spectral & NAD) and very pleased with this combination as well.

I am W4S dealer but do not hesitate to recommend them to my friends because IMHO they are a good value for the money.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I'm very fond of the Primare I32, for which you can also buy an add-on DAC board. Most of the reviews I've read seem at odds with my experience of the amp -- I found it certainly had that class D "cleanness" but without so much of the edge and I didn't find it bright -- but if it's possible to sample it near you I'd definitely give it a go.

That said, I think the Devialet 120 is better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing