Integrated amplifier with DAC or stereo amp and preamp with DAC - advice needed

bk12

Apr 26, 2014
It is a bit of your target price range, but I have owned the Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 integrated with the optional DAC card, and loved that setup. Incredibly well built, and great sound. I still miss that piece. Worth a listen if you can arrange a demo.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Finding the right amp (within budget) for a particular speaker is the most difficult part of the process, IMO.

Another option is the Naim Supernait 2. This is not really a recommendation since I haven't heard it, and not sure it would even be a good match, but at least it looks nice and would pass WAF. Also, Naim seems overpriced to me.

The Devialet is a beauty, but I've seen at least 3 reviews that mention loss in performance at lower volumes. If you like to listen at low volume (as I do) this could be a concern.

I'd try the new Parasound integrated first. It's the least expensive, is the most versatile, and has tone controls which might be helpful in dealing with potential rear port issues.

Accuphase would be nice, but over budget.

mirekti

Feb 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
Yes, lower volumes are my concern as well as I do listen at lower volumes too. I've read they do many fixes through the configuration. Maybe this can be fixed as well.
Parasound still has coming soon for the Halo integrated amp.
Acuphase looks nice, but there's no digital inputs.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I never noticed a loss of performance with my Devialet at low volumes, maybe some feel it is less because its one weakness IMO (back then as I had an original D-Premier) was that it does not have the same weight-bass/low mid frequency "depth" as some of the more traditional amps.
However if your speaker has a SAM profile I would say this has been resolved.
Just to be clear I do not own a Devialet any longer but that is due to some functionality not being around when I was an owner such as SAM/tweaking frequency-tone controls.

Edit:
Just to add also some amp designs can be much better at lower volumes due to sliding bias and so make comparing with other brands-models a bit lopsided; simple example IMO Chord Electronics sound far superior and perceived as more dynamic when played at lower volumes (this with their upper range amps) than when played louder.
Cheers
Orb

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, lower volumes are my concern as well as I do listen at lower volumes too. I've read they do many fixes through the configuration. Maybe this can be fixed as well.
Parasound still has coming soon for the Halo integrated amp.
Acuphase looks nice, but there's no digital inputs.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of digital inputs in an integrated amp. I understand it's convenient, but DAC technology seems to change at a rapid pace (although settling a bit recently compared to years past), so any integrated digital inputs could become somewhat obsolete quickly. It wouldn't add much clutter to use a separate, small dedicated DAC and you could just hide it away inside one of the cabinets and wouldn't even know it's there. And if you get one with auto sensing inputs, you wouldn't even need to worry about switching between them. In this regard, it would be an even simpler setup.

Something like the new Chord 2Qute DAC would be a really nice option, or even the TEAC UD-501. Then, when DAC technology changes, you just swap DACs. That said, most integrated amps come with digital inputs, so you'll likely get em' anyway. Just something to think about.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
I never noticed a loss of performance with my Devialet at low volumes, maybe some feel it is less because its one weakness IMO (back then as I had an original D-Premier) was that it does not have the same weight-bass/low mid frequency "depth" as some of the more traditional amps.
However if your speaker has a SAM profile I would say this has been resolved.
Just to be clear I do not own a Devialet any longer but that is due to some functionality not being around when I was an owner such as SAM/tweaking frequency-tone controls.

Edit:
Just to add also some amp designs can be much better at lower volumes due to sliding bias and so make comparing with other brands-models a bit lopsided; simple example IMO Chord Electronics sound far superior and perceived as more dynamic when played at lower volumes (this with their upper range amps) than when played louder.
Cheers
Orb

I could be wrong, but I think frequency tone controls have always been a feature.

I want to be cautious of making any potential negative comments about a Devialet product, because they seem to be a great company and I like what they're doing; but, that said, one would think that if there were a possible solution to the low volume criticism, it would have been addressed by Devialet before any review had published.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I could be wrong, but I think frequency tone controls have always been a feature.

I want to be cautious of making any potential negative comments about a Devialet product, because they seem to be a great company and I like what they're doing; but, that said, one would think that if there were a possible solution to the low volume criticism, it would have been addressed by Devialet before any review had published.

As an very early owner of the D-Premier I can definitely say it did not have tone control :)
Tone control came later on as was part of the software changes, this was something I mentioned in the early days directly to Devialet as feedback that as a customer I would like, along with more digital filter options (this they explained was very unlikely).
I still think it is a mistake not providing more filter options, only needs a couple more IMO and would help with CD quality music where filters have the greatest impact.
Cheers
Orb

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
As an very early owner of the D-Premier I can definitely say it did not have tone control :)
Tone control came later on as was part of the software changes, this was something I mentioned in the early days directly to Devialet as feedback that as a customer I would like, along with more digital filter options (this they explained was very unlikely).
I still think it is a mistake not providing more filter options, only needs a couple more IMO and would help with CD quality music where filters have the greatest impact.
Cheers
Orb

Yep, I'm often wrong.:b

Tone control is a nice addition, glad you gave them that feedback. I wish more equipment included tone control.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing