Strange Onkyo SC-5509 preamp problem - Randomly shuts off

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have had my Onkyo SC-5509 for about two years now, and it is used daily. The whole time I have had this unit I have had the strangest problem. It would randomly shut off. Sometimes it would work for days, other times it might shutdown a couple of times in a night. I knew it wasn't thermal since it has more than adequate ventilation, and is never warm to the touch. I kept on praying for it to break permanently so I could get it repaired, but it stayed random.

Anyway, I think I found out the problem Thursday night. It turns out that on the remote, right side bottom, is a button marked sleep. If you press this the unit will turn off after 90 minutes, press it again and the timer decrements 30 minutes. So you need to press it multiple times to get back to the never turn off mode. When it is in sleep mode there is no obvious indication, other than 'sleep' displayed in small letters on the display. Unless you put your face right in front of the display it goes unnoticed. Additionally, I usually have a black DVD case over the display to block it. While you can dim it, it can only be turned off in Pure Music mode, but not when watching a DVD.

Thursday night I switched from listening to music to watching a DVD, and for a brief moment the display said 'Sleep 18 minutes'. I wondered what that was and went through the manual and found out about the sleep button. Apparently, I was sometimes accidentally hitting this when I would grab the remote. Since then I have been very careful to not press it, and check the display to be sure it isn't in sleep mode. So far, it has remained on since Thursday. If we make it through the weekend I am going to be reasonably sure that is the issue.

Sometimes I feel that there are too many bells and whistles on some gear. The more features there are increases the odds of some failure, or issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing