Usher story and Usher owners feedback

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thought I'd share my experience with Usher Audio equipment which doesn't get the recognition in the US as it should IMO. About 1 1/2 years ago, I owned ML Summit speakers and very much enjoyed the goodness of stats. Excellent imaging, depth and overall quality. But, listening to other folks' systems (Wilsons, Egglestons, Rockport Arrakis - wow!) I realized the limitations of electrostats and how much cone-based drivers and overall speaker technology had advanced with the capability to match the speed, sound stage, etc. of electrostats + superior dynamics. As such, I was on a mission and off to meet a few friends at RMAF 2013 to scope out speakers in my budget. After hearing lots of great speakers at the show, I came away with these favorites: Vandersteen 7 was absolutely outstanding (and out of my budget), Vandersteen 5a carbon - something did not sound right, room issues? associated electronics not meshing? not sure. TAD E1s - absolutely beautiful sound, amazing imaging, phenomenal cohesiveness from the mid/tweet combo. Usher Audio was not at RMAF, so no comparison could be made.

Long story a bit less lengthy - a few months later, I ended up purchasing a pair of Usher BE-20Ds from the US dealer in Dallas. They were originally ordered for a customer who backed out of the deal. I contacted reviewers and owners of the BE20s or BE10s for their opinions, and all had great things to say about them. Also, the dealer was getting out of the business and gave me a great deal on the speakers, JPS Aluminata jumpers and Aluminata speaker cables. Also, he was willing to deliver them from Dallas to Austin + schlep these 300lb beasts up a flight of stairs!

1 year later and I am very happy with the Ushers. I was running them with 2 Usher R1.5 amps bridged which sounded quite good, but after recently switching to a Wells Audio Innamorata, I am very pleased at what these speakers can deliver.

Let's hear your Usher stories!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the write-up. My story is as I mentioned in the other thread. I love their demo CD :).

They have these chinese (?) drums in there that have dynamics that are out of this world. Ranks #1 or #2 as far as demo material. The second is a female singer and fidelity there is amazing.

Sadly I have not heard that CD on their own speakers. Every time I have been to their booth they were playing nothing or something else and I was in a hurry and left. They seemed like nice and friendly people. I will have to listen next time I am in their booth.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Many years ago my partners and I were surprised at our room at our audio show when 3 OTHER distributors asked us if the the three of them could do a private shoot out in OUR room. They wanted neutral ground. They asked if it could be done in the morning before doors opened to the public. Our gear stays on 24/7 at shows and since the speakers involved were easy to move stand mounts we figured what the hell, this could be really fun. To say the ancillary gear was overkill in both power and price for at the time $2k to $5k two way monitors was pretty funny too. We had Lamm M2.2 mono blocks, L2 Reference Pre, An Emm Labs stack. To cut to the chase one was from a very highly regarded UK brand, another a NA brand moving upmarket with new lines named after precious metals and this new player from Taiwan. Taiwan? Well, this speaker did acquit itself very well. Extremely well. The teasing between the distributors was priceless even if one of them was not very happy with the results. A few months later US publications started giving this Be tweeter'd baby more attention and even gave it a new monicker. The Tiny Dancer.

The next morning three turntables were brought in, but that is another story..... that was a fun year!

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I started my journey about 5 years ago, and the first real home system I heard boasted the CP-6381. It was a massive, powerful speaker that I didn't appreciate fully at the time. After about 6 months of getting my feet wet, I went back and listened to the same rig. This time, they blew me away. I still thought they were too big for the room, but they really pulled me into the music.

Another 6 months went by, and I had the opportunity to pick up the 6311's dirt cheap. The sad part is, I left my wife at home on Mothers Day to pick them up after the seller telling me he would hold them. When I showed up after an hour-long drive, I saw him helping someone else load them into the back of his truck. Anyways, about 2 weeks later, I see the speakers on Audiogon and shoot the seller a PM. I told him I was that guy who showed up and offered him $50 more than what I agreed to with the first seller. He obliged, and I still use them today.

Since then, I've had two friends buy the Mini Dancer 2's, one buy the CP-777, and another friend buy a pair of 6311's after lusting for mine. A friend also has the R1.5 amp. I'm currently breaking in the Mini X and T-515 for LSAF. I've yet to hear any of the bigger Dancers, but my end goal would be to demo the 8571 with my 845 monoblocks to see how well they pair.

I view the CP series of Usher as a gateway drug into better fidelity for many. I host frequent meets at my place, and those who come over are always impressed by the 6311's. For the limited budget, bang for your buck ideology, its hard to top Usher when you factor in the sound, build quality, and finish of their products.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi guys,

I'm using a pair of 8571 right now.... Driven by CIA D-200 mono amps...

View attachment 19172

Nice setup, lots of treatment. Can I ask - what are the units behind each speaker? Are those a diffuser? Never seen any like that before.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
BUMP, I bought a pair of BE-20 DMD speakers when they came up for a very reasonable price 300 miles away. Nice to have beautiful speakers to listen to while my back heals from shlepping huge speakers up and down stairs. These are replacing a pair of Salon 2's that I'm forced to sell. I've only had these a couple days, but so far I think these are going to manage my sellers remorse quite nicely. My room has a strong bass null that I can manage better with rear ported speakers, also these seem a little more dynamic with the limited power I have giving music just a little more energy. The salon 2 reproduces cymbals better than anything i've heard to date, but these DMD's are pretty good if a little splashy on rock recordings. My room is only 18x26x7' but they're making music down here!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congrats on the Usher BE20 DMD purchase, a great bang for your $ speaker and brand. They are about 90DB efficient and an easy load while the Salons are probably about 86 or so, so you're right on with efficiency and dynamics especially with limited power output. I found my Ushers really shine with lots of power as I am now running 400 W / channel and there is a sense of ease and better dynamics with the extra power on reserve. Also, you might want to look into an xover upgrade as it made a huge difference in quality and detail retrieval at the sacrifice of warmth. For me it was well worth it. Enjoy!

Reactions: steve59

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I'm reading about xover upgrades and cardas internal wiring and while I would probably pass on the cardas since my speaker wires are kimber 4tc I am interested on the xover upgrades, where to get them and what they cost. I got them on their spikes yesterday @#$%^& job for 1 person but instantly cleaned up the bass compared to just resting on the floor. Spiking speakers to the floor of my basement usually leans out whatever speakers too much, but as predicted these have an abundance of bass and the difference is welcome. The mids are already a little tipped up in comparison to the salons which have a dedicated mid bass driver, but my free app shows very even in room response so i'll probably just put first reflection treatment on the walls, something the salons didn't need. I'm reassessing initial impressions about the tweeters and want to say I think the Usher is as good as i've heard and the bit of hash i'm hearing is coming from the mid range driver and I should be able to tame it. It usually takes me weeks to get a good feel for the speaker so i'll be contradicting myself once and awhile. Plenty of width and depth but not a lot of height from the soundstage so far, yet it sounds normal. Clapton unplugged old love Eric just to the right of center with the piano keys panning from left to right and back as it should be makes me think placement's close enough for now.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
When I looked about 5 years ago there were several companies offering crossover upgrades, Scott Walker, GR Research (Danny Richie) and another company I can't recall. The web has all the info and contacts you'll need. As I saw it there were several choices to the xover upgrade path - you could upgrade components leveraging the existing xover design or go with a completely new xover design and new, better quality components. I chose the latter because I felt (and heard) the woofer crossed over quite high into mid bass territory (~400Hz) which added an overabundance of mid bass + the woofers couldn't keep up with the mid. As good as the Ushers sounded stock (and they did sound very nice) with the xover upgrade it was levels better. Mind you, with the upgrade they are significantly more sensitive to component changes and less than stellar recordings but they reward you with more information, better bass and a more effortless sound.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Wells Audio Innamorata

Very good amplifier, especially for the cost, I was surprised how reasonable it is.. Makes a nice change these days!

Reactions: sbo6

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
This is an interesting thread to resurrect. Since I last posted, I became a dealer for Usher and have since grown my portfolio. I have the Be-10 sitting behind me, a pair of Mini Dancer 2's upstairs, as well as the very same pair of CP-6381 and the R1.5 amp. I still love Usher but have found the next step to be Rosso Fiorentino. I would actually urge you to consider this option before throwing more money into upgraded crossover components. The pair behind me have substantial upgrades and still don't deliver what RF does.

If you want more of everything, Rosso Fiorentino delivers while still keeping the same tonal characteristics and engagement that Usher does. All of my Usher clients end up moving up to Rosso Fiorentino. In fact, I had a client purchase those CP-6381 yesterday and they are simply a holdover until he can save up enough cash to buy the Volterra.

I don't mind posting this because they aren't really competing lines. They do have price points that overlap, but (for instance) the upgrade path for the Mini Dancer 2 at $5290 would be the Volterra at $13,000. The upgrade path for the Mini X at $3490 would be the Fiesole at $7000. The upgrade path for any of the big Dancers or Be series would be the Siena at $25,000. For the most part, price points that overlap offer different trade-offs that will suit different listeners.

Reactions: steve59

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Dskip, I recall hearing your setup at LSAF with the RF and my take away is they are a nice sounding albeit quite a warm sounding speaker. It might be your customer base likes a warmer sound, but for me - I strive more for balanced. Also, I don't know what upgrade your Ushers have but IMO the Volterras model you had on display simply didn't compare to the BE-20Ds w/ the upgrade. I'm curious what upgrade are in your BE10s and what equipment you are using with them, details matter. In addition, I had 2 Usher R1.5s which don't remotely bring out the best in the Ushers (or any speaker for that matter). I've heard Ushers with Pass and I have a Wells Audio and a Musical Fidelity and they sound completely different and much better all around. Net is - I wouldn't count the Ushers out until you know all the details and hear a well upgraded version. As always YMMV.

Steve59, you are welcome to come to TX to listen anytime if you want to hear an upgraded pair.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I actually be in the ft worth area next weekend.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
As to the tone of the BE20 dmd's in my room they initially sounded overly fat in the bass with less energy in the upper bass Leonard Cohen's voice had body but was a little hollow. there was also some midrange hash coming thru. despite those observations I was still excited with the imaging, sound, and dynamics. Placement worked out the midrange hash I heard and putting the plinth and then spikes in place completely brought the bass under control. I may upgrade the speakers down the road but for now I really like what i'm hearing and the Hegel seems to be a good combo.

Reactions: sbo6

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
PM me if you want to come listen. I live just north of Austin in Round Rock.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Dskip, I recall hearing your setup at LSAF with the RF and my take away is they are a nice sounding albeit quite a warm sounding speaker. It might be your customer base likes a warmer sound, but for me - I strive more for balanced. Also, I don't know what upgrade your Ushers have but IMO the Volterras model you had on display simply didn't compare to the BE-20Ds w/ the upgrade. I'm curious what upgrade are in your BE10s and what equipment you are using with them, details matter. In addition, I had 2 Usher R1.5s which don't remotely bring out the best in the Ushers (or any speaker for that matter). I've heard Ushers with Pass and I have a Wells Audio and a Musical Fidelity and they sound completely different and much better all around. Net is - I wouldn't count the Ushers out until you know all the details and hear a well upgraded version. As always YMMV.

Steve59, you are welcome to come to TX to listen anytime if you want to hear an upgraded pair.

LSAF or RMAF? I assume you are talking about the Volterra which was at RMAF. The system was tuned to be warmer but the tone still mimics that which would have been present with Usher in place. I also wouldn't consider the Volterra the upgrade path for the Be series - I'd consider the Siena the rightful upgrade path which has more of that neutrality in tone you seek.

I haven't used the Usher R1.5 with anything yet honestly - it is a recent acquisition. I'm also uncertain of all the modifications done but I do know the crossovers were done with quality capacitors. The previous owner spent $4,000 on the upgrade and I 'stole' the pair for the same price. They are now on layaway so to speak so I won't venture in to figure out all the modifications done. I can say they originally came with Be tweeters and I wasn't overly impressed - the Diamonds really elevated their performance.

I actually be in the ft worth area next weekend.

If you are in the area, give me a shout. I am a 15 minute drive from downtown Ft. Worth.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
I have a pair of small Usher Bookshelf speakers in a 2nd AV system. They have been amazing value for money. But I have heard that Usher is no longer producing & selling speakers. Please correct me if this info is wrong.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing