Tell me about your Marantz gear and/or experience with the brand!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I started to really to get into music back in the middle sixties, but it wasn't until the early seventies that I discovered "component audio". Most of the shops that I frequented all had an abundance of Japanese audio components such as Pioneer, Kenwood, Akai, Yamaha and yes Marantz. I always liked the look of the Marantz gear even back then, but I gravitated towards Pioneer and still own a few vintage pieces. It wasn't until Marantz released their Reference Line of products that I became truly interested in the brand again. I knew after hearing it for the first time that I wanted to own one of their components one day. And as many of you know I recently did acquire one. I couldn't be happier.

The limited edition PM-KI-Pearl Integrated Amplifier truly is a piece of kit to behold. They don't come up too often on the used market, but if you want an Integrated that performs well above it's pricepoint you could do far worse than purchasing one of these. If I were mostly into digital I would look for the matching CD/SACD player, but I'm not, so I'll likely never own one. And that's ok. The regular Marantz line offers up a nice BD/CD/SACD player with the UD5007 and UD7007 for considerably less and hopefully one will be introduced into my system later this year.

Marantz also offers up a fine list of AV receivers and processors that have been well received. Are there any HT enthusiasts out there who have experience with them?

I know it almost sounds like I'm pitching for Marantz, but really I'm only doing this since Steve was gracious enough to create a sub-forum for it and I'd like to help populate it with some content.

Thanks
JV

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'll go first. I owned the UD9004 Universal player. Build like a tank and phenomenal sounding. Best multi channel analog source (as in analog as opposed to digital outputs) I even owned by a mile.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll go first. I owned the UD9004 Universal player. Build like a tank and phenomenal sounding. Best multi channel analog source (as in analog as opposed to digital outputs) I even owned by a mile.

Did you sell it when you moved to the States? And what do you use now!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Did you sell it when you moved to the States? And what do you use now!

First, I ran the Marantz into a Theta Six Shooter MCH analog preamp. Also phenomenal sound. Then I moved to a downstream Trinnov processor using A/D/A conversion and DRC. Better still. Then I found the Marantz was bested by avoiding D/A conversion and running digital multi channel into the Trinnov, using the modded Oppo (Vanity Digital out board). I have since ripped all my MCH digital content and now use a server with Lynx out card (ditched the Trinnov - use Dirac on the server). So while as a single box, MCH analog source, the Marantz can't be beat (well may be - I did not try all the contenders), moving to a digital MCH source and avoiding A/D conversion can beat it.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
My first cd unit was a Marantz carousel in 83', could be yr before or later. Sound seemed quite good but mechanically it was quite noisy. Which should have been a hint. Mechanics toasted out early. Picked up a Nak OM5, life was good, for awhile.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I grew up with Marantz battle tank receivers. Those beasts could drive anything from the ARs we had in the house and later Isophons. Always warm and engaging. A few years ago I finally got to hear the legendary Model 9 with the only modification being the addition of modern binding posts. Talk about a product that aged well. Perhaps a product that was really ahead of its time. Today when non-audiophile friends ask for a receiver recommendation, my recommendation is usually a Marantz as this is what I actually did choose for the grandkids' multipurpose (gaming, music, movies) room of our ancestral home in the province. Musical, flexible, very good price/performance ratio. If that is what their plain jane products show, I can only imagine what their Ki's do.

For you Johnny :)

http://www.whathifi.com/news/60-years-marantz-are-all-about-music

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for that article Jack! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My pleasure buddy :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a Marantz7C paired with a Marantz 8 amp feeding a pair of B&W`s DM12 bookshelf speakers some years back - now I know I should stayed there! ;)

RadioWonder

Jun 22, 2015
I started out in 1974 with a Marantz Model 2275 Receiver... Sold it when I moved to Hawaii... Now I have the Marantz PM-11S3 Integrated Amplifier and coming later this week, a Marantz HD-DAC1 Headphone Amplifier with DAC-Mode...

The Marantz PM-11S3 Integrated Amplifier is an amazing sounding unit... A pleasure to use... I noticed in the PM-11S3 user manual there is not one reference to hooking up a DAC... It's almost like this manual was written 30 years ago... Very sad...

I did hook up an iFi Micro iDSD to the CD Line RCA jacks with OK results, but I don't know how the Marantz HD-DAC1 will work in this Input RCA jacks... The Marantz HD-DAC1 user manual has two ways of generically hooking it up using either Fixed or Variable RCA outputs... I really don't care for either way. I want to use the PM-11S3's Preamp over the less expensive unit in the HD-DAC1... :rolleyes:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I started to really to get into music back in the middle sixties, but it wasn't until the early seventies that I discovered "component audio". Most of the shops that I frequented all had an abundance of Japanese audio components such as Pioneer, Kenwood, Akai, Yamaha and yes Marantz. I always liked the look of the Marantz gear even back then, but I gravitated towards Pioneer

Same, although for some unknown reason, I gravitated more towards Yami electronics / Akai tape machines. That was so long ago, but even then, I can still remember my first taste of hi-end audio (w/Telefunken) ...

I've had/heard a number of Marantz items over the years, can't remember all the model#. My last experience with Marantz was using their top-end SACD/CD player. More rose-tinted then my resident player, but superbly musical.

I still have much interest in marantz, mostly from a different perspective ... been looking (for a while) for a CD94, to mod.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I started out in 1974 with a Marantz Model 2275 Receiver... Sold it when I moved to Hawaii... Now I have the Marantz PM-11S3 Integrated Amplifier and coming later this week, a Marantz HD-DAC1 Headphone Amplifier with DAC-Mode...

The Marantz PM-11S3 Integrated Amplifier is an amazing sounding unit... A pleasure to use... I noticed in the PM-11S3 user manual there is not one reference to hooking up a DAC... It's almost like this manual was written 30 years ago... Very sad...

I did hook up an iFi Micro iDSD to the CD Line RCA jacks with OK results, but I don't know how the Marantz HD-DAC1 will work in this Input RCA jacks... The Marantz HD-DAC1 user manual has two ways of generically hooking it up using either Fixed or Variable RCA outputs... I really don't care for either way. I want to use the PM-11S3's Preamp over the less expensive unit in the HD-DAC1... :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of the Marantz Reference line. You get a truly high-end product, but for a very reasonable price, which is important to me. Please let us know how you fare with the HD-DAC1!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Same, although for some unknown reason, I gravitated more towards Yami electronics / Akai tape machines. That was so long ago, but even then, I can still remember my first taste of hi-end audio (w/Telefunken) ...

I've had/heard a number of Marantz items over the years, can't remember all the model#. My last experience with Marantz was using their top-end SACD/CD player. More rose-tinted then my resident player, but superbly musical.

I still have much interest in marantz, mostly from a different perspective ... been looking (for a while) for a CD94, to mod.

I never had any luck with the Yammie gear I owned. Had 2 IA's and they both crapped out on me after a year. A friend of mine had an Akai R2R. Didn't those have glass heads?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I never had any luck with the Yammie gear I owned. Had 2 IA's and they both crapped out on me after a year. A friend of mine had an Akai R2R. Didn't those have glass heads?

Akai had a proprietary head/material, long forgot the name. Heads were (unless 2 or 3 headed machine) not an issue with me, the trick to attaining consistent sound with tape (my experiences then) was calibrated/precise azimuth alignments between machines/players. Never much liked using noise reduction, even dolby b.

Yami was all I could afford, had that "natural sound" thingy going on ... marketing magic to my ears back then ...

I use their first gen 115hp 4 stroke outboard motor, luv the beast ...

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Some in Japan, some China. My 8802 processor is made in Japan -- very good piece for the money, much better than its predecessor. Nice to see them make an obvious jump in SQ from a prior model -- this isn't always the case w/manufacturers.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Where is something like the Marantz PM-11S3 made these days, China or Japan?
Made in Japan (still). I think that all of their "Reference" gear is made there.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Some in Japan, some China. My 8802 processor is made in Japan -- very good piece for the money, much better than its predecessor. Nice to see them make an obvious jump in SQ from a prior model -- this isn't always the case w/manufacturers.

Made in Japan (still). I think that all of their "Reference" gear is made there.

Ah, ok, thx for the info, thought it was all made in China.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Marantz was the schitz back in the day. I ended up going with a Harmon Kardon "dual mono" integrated. Only 40 watts but more than enough for my Altec Valencias at the time. But I loved the look of that 60s/70s Marantz gear, and the flywheel tuner knob on their receivers was very cool.

Tim

mrcool

Aug 27, 2015
I purchased an sr7009 a couple of weeks ago, it couldn't be turned on. No lights or anything. The dealer replaced it with a new one and that one worked for exactly one and a half days before frying its HDMI board. Now the service is inquiring from Marantz if that board is covered by the warranty. Marantz used to make very dependable, tough equipment forty years ago. Those days are over it seems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing