Tell me about your Marantz gear and/or experience with the brand!

mrcool

Aug 27, 2015
I purchased an sr7009 a couple of weeks ago, it couldn't be turned on. No lights or anything. The dealer replaced it with a new one and that one worked for exactly one and a half days before frying its HDMI board. Now the service is inquiring from Marantz if that board is covered by the warranty. Marantz used to make very dependable, tough equipment forty years ago. Those days are over it seems.

Update: Marantz did not opt for changing the HDMI board, they sent me a new machine instead. It seems that the company did not loose anything from its dependability in the last forty years or so. Thank you Marantz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, that is good to know. BTW we have the same processor at work for over a year without issue. I didn't care for its ergonomics but it was a good performer otherwise.

mrcool

Aug 27, 2015
I'm in manufacturing business. A lemon slips through, no matter how you try to make things perfect. The important thing is not letting the customer suffer for it. Customer appreciation is the real capital you have. By the way, I have another Marantz at my office. I bought it in 1977. Still going on strong.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I have never owned Marantz Gear but i have the greatest respect for the Ken Ishiwata Signature stuff....

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
New Marantz Set Up going in...

I've just installed and am burning in a new set comprising of UD7007, AV8802A and MM8077. I'm burning in whilst waiting for my brand new speakers.

Perhaps the most significant development here is that each of these three units has been treated to eliminate RFI/EMI. This eliminates noise and signal degradation (as far as possible).

The speakers are PMC Twenty 26's to arrive from Singapore. Cables to arrive from the USA.

All the reviews pitch this set up as a great music producer as well as home cinema source. Previously in Singapore I was running an AV8003 into an Emotiva XPA5. It was IMAX worthy cinema experience and a great Dolby Stereo result as well. I gave the older unit to my brother in law as I wanted to upgrade to Dolby Atmos. I traded an original pair of Boston Acoustics Reference VR90's for the PMC's.

I'm using Time Portal Interconnects and Front speaker cables, when they turn up, soon I hope.

I can't wait for this system to come together, its been nearly six months since the parts were coming from two different directions.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Four (and a half) Marantz units:

1. AV8802A Special Edition - great pre amp / processor for music and movies. 13 Channels..., still using it.
2. UD7007 Special Edition - was supposed to be a great unit.It suffered ongoing handshake issues with the unit above...the 8802 processor. I got so frustrated I sent it back and took an Oppo 103D SE - all works just fine now.
3. MM8077 Special Edition - sat for ages untouched until one day I was advised to use it. I was swimming along just fine (now know what I was missing) using a standard Emotiva XPA 5. This unit can be really clear and a little forward. So when I swapped it for the 8077 I retrieved a much better balanced amplifier/sound. It was sweeter and milder but just as quick and effective for music and movies, and in the long run has stayed in place. Now the Emo XPA5 is unused.
4. TT 15S1 - Turned it on and got Bob Marley to sound like the chipmunks. Was simply 60Hz driving a 50Hz Australia model. Am now waiting to buy a replacement pulley from Clearaudio directly. Using the phono section of the 8802 as a starting point for my vinyl revival.

However in the list of goods coming eventually, some from service, there are no more Marantz but there are two reference Emo's (XPR2&5) upgraded also to SE standard. Looking forward to plugging those in and making final decisions on current system.

I am interested to hear more about the new Ken Ishiwata SACD player http://us.marantz.com/us/news/pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=119. I'd love to see a blu-ray player of this standard from Ken/Marantz to replace the 7007.

And still waiting to see what Marantz and Pioneer do in 4K blu-ray top line products...when the HDR formats die down somewhat.

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I've seen Marantz tuners with the flywheel tuner knobs a very long time ago when I was not interested in stereos yet. Then at the time when Magico was introducing their V series speakers, a friend replaced the line stage with his Marantz 7. The transformation was unbelievable. Ever since then, I had hopes that if I'm fortunate enough, I will have my own Marantz 7 preamp. For my taste, the Marantz 7 is one of my top three line stage / preamp together with the Audio Research SP 3 using a complete set of military grade Telefunken tubes, and the FM Acoustic 268.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've seen Marantz tuners with the flywheel tuner knobs a very long time ago when I was not interested in stereos yet. Then at the time when Magico was introducing their V series speakers, a friend replaced the line stage with his Marantz 7. The transformation was unbelievable. Ever since then, I had hopes that if I'm fortunate enough, I will have my own Marantz 7 preamp. For my taste, the Marantz 7 is one of my top three line stage / preamp together with the Audio Research SP 3 using a complete set of military grade Telefunken tubes, and the FM Acoustic 268.

You are not alone. I never had the opportunity to listen to a Marantz 7 preamp, but a good friend with large experience with top high-end whose opinion I respect considers the original Marantz 7c / 9B as being the holy grail of audio. I have looked at the circuits and can not understand why - the preamplfier looks to be based in conventional capacitor coupled tube stages with simple unregulated power supplies - an easy job to the DIY people.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You are not alone. I never had the opportunity to listen to a Marantz 7 preamp, but a good friend with large experience with top high-end whose opinion I respect considers the original Marantz 7c / 9B as being the holy grail of audio. I have looked at the circuits and can not understand why - the preamplfier looks to be based in conventional capacitor coupled tube stages with simple unregulated power supplies - an easy job to the DIY people .

Apparently not so easy otherwise we'd have heard. Maybe there is magic involved! :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
You are not alone. I never had the opportunity to listen to a Marantz 7 preamp, but a good friend with large experience with top high-end whose opinion I respect considers the original Marantz 7c / 9B as being the holy grail of audio. I have looked at the circuits and can not understand why - the preamplfier looks to be based in conventional capacitor coupled tube stages with simple unregulated power supplies - an easy job to the DIY people.

I have a good friend that her husband passed away and owned a Marantz set from new. The Marantz 7C,10B,and 9B's,and if I'm lucky she said I will have first chance. I have always wanted a set.....

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well John, as of right now I can not contribute to the thread but here within the week, I'll be able too. I just snagged that Marantz Reference SA-7S1 SACD/CD Player that was on the 'Gon. Supposedly, It's their top tier player and it will be replacing a tried and true Jolida JD100-A CDP with upgraded PC, 12Ax7Ei gold pins and sorbothane footers. I'm sure the difference will be vast....hopefully toward the better part of vast. All of the reviews pointed to what I was looking for in a player and this one SACD as well as RB. The Jolida only does RB.

I'll offer my observations when it arrives. This will be my first Marantz gear piece ever, although I have heard a few sprinkled throughout my audio history. Usually I do not buy without hearing a particular piece of gear first but I made an exception with this one. Lots of positive praise with very little negative comments toward this player. The one thing I'm looking forward too is a laid back (10th row versus 1st row) sound stage and presentation and not an "in your face", forward one. I sold my Rega Apollo when it was only months old for that reason and the Jolida brought me back to my liking on that front. Most of the reviews seem to have a consensus that this is not a forward presentation player. I hope they are correct.

Does anyone here have any feedback on this player or own one, compared it to others you may have had, etc.? I'd appreciate any feedback anyone may have to offer, even if you just heard it at a trade show.

Tom

Last edited:

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I've owned the Marantz SA7S1 since 2008 and it's my first CD/SACD player and maybe my last. This piece is a classic. All I can say is, with every upgrade I've made, this player only sounds better. Changes made include adding an ARC Reference 40 Anniversary preamp, a much much, more expensive piece than this one.

All the reviews are on target and I think you will be pleased based upon what you said you're looking for. There is no digital or mechanical sound at all with this player when it is used with good ancillary equipment. Tonal color is exemplary. It may be just a touch shy in mid-bass, but the very bottom octave can still rattle windows. Some reviews have suggested it's a touch overly polite sounding. I don't think you'll find that to be the case unless you only only listen to hard rock, techno, or rap music.

Good luck with it and I hope you are happy.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thank you Barry for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated sir. Especially since it's coming from a real world situation and not just a reviewer. Many people have commented on the low bass and its extension. This is definitely one thing I'm looking forward too as at least in my own experience, this fills in much of the "information", if you will, to the presentation.

My musical tastes range from everything to everything else, with the only two exceptions being Rap and Opera.

I have probably had 40 or so CDP's and SACDP's throughout my life and it stopped when it came to the Jolida. I have had it in the loop for about 7 or 8 years and when the second SACD player bit the dust, I didn't bother replacing it until I found something that could do both but at this point, I am really yearning to hear some of my SACD's that aren't hybrid again. Well that and as the years have gone by, everything else in my rig progressed enough to where I now feel as if the Jolida is the weakest link in my system. With my system being as revealing as it is, this player should shine. Right now it's held up at Customs/Border Patrol but should be back in transit by tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it makes it home safe.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Tom

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Temptations...

Four (and a half) Marantz units:

1. AV8802A Special Edition - great pre amp / processor for music and movies. 13 Channels..., still using it.
2. UD7007 Special Edition - was supposed to be a great unit.It suffered ongoing handshake issues with the unit above...the 8802 processor. I got so frustrated I sent it back and took an Oppo 103D SE - all works just fine now.
3. MM8077 Special Edition - sat for ages untouched until one day I was advised to use it. I was swimming along just fine (now know what I was missing) using a standard Emotiva XPA 5. This unit can be really clear and a little forward. So when I swapped it for the 8077 I retrieved a much better balanced amplifier/sound. It was sweeter and milder but just as quick and effective for music and movies, and in the long run has stayed in place. Now the Emo XPA5 is unused.
4. TT 15S1 - Turned it on and got Bob Marley to sound like the chipmunks. Was simply 60Hz driving a 50Hz Australia model. Am now waiting to buy a replacement pulley from Clearaudio directly. Using the phono section of the 8802 as a starting point for my vinyl revival.

However in the list of goods coming eventually, some from service, there are no more Marantz but there are two reference Emo's (XPR2&5) upgraded also to SE standard. Looking forward to plugging those in and making final decisions on current system.

I am interested to hear more about the new Ken Ishiwata SACD player http://us.marantz.com/us/news/pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=119. I'd love to see a blu-ray player of this standard from Ken/Marantz to replace the 7007.

And still waiting to see what Marantz and Pioneer do in 4K blu-ray top line products...when the HDR formats die down somewhat.

It seems that Marantz SACD such as the models cited here and of course the newest model, are a significant upgrade over the universal models such as the UD7007 or in my case right now an upgraded Oppo 103D SE. I might have to put the latest release SACD model on my wish list.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not a digital guy at all so I couldn't justify one of the Reference series CD/SACD players, but........if I ever came across a good deal on a SA-KI-Pearl to match with my PM-KI-Pearl I'd have a serious look.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing