Tripoint emperor : a breakthrough

Hi,

I have 2 Troy signatures,one dedicated for my my Lamm ML3s with Thor Se's connected and a second Troy signature for my front end to ground my Pre-amp,Phono,Turntable and Tuner.I have 2 more Thor se's grounding the Walker MK V and the Lamm LP1 phono,the other grounding cables are Tri-point master reference.
All I can say if you have a Troy signature and are not using a least 1 Thor SE grounding cable,you are just letting the best in life just pass you bye.Tremendous technology and workmanship.
Robert

As I have said, using a ZeroStat on each of the binding posts on the Troy Signature with all the grounding wire in place has a very great positive effect, but it seems to not be lasting. Since the ZeroStat's ions are neutralizing static charge, somehow a charge is developing on the binding posts. But it may be that ultimately the static charge will go away. It is also possible that in some environments a static charge may not form. All that I can say is that even if I have to zap the binding posts for every listening session, I will do so. Miguel told me to try this.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
As I have said, using a ZeroStat on each of the binding posts on the Troy Signature with all the grounding wire in place has a very great positive effect, but it seems to not be lasting. Since the ZeroStat's ions are neutralizing static charge, somehow a charge is developing on the binding posts. But it may be that ultimately the static charge will go away. It is also possible that in some environments a static charge may not form. All that I can say is that even if I have to zap the binding posts for every listening session, I will do so. Miguel told me to try this.

great idea!

I've done some considerable messing around with anti-static products, and have tried the ZeroStat in the past to good effect. when I did try that, every time I found that a Tourmaline Gun worked better in degrees, with a more lasting effect. a Tourmaline Gun is essentially a modified heat gun/hair dryer which fires it's heated air though a screen filled with Tourmaline beads.

I have 3 or 4 Tourmaline Guns here sitting around currently unused, i'll try them soon on my Entreq to see it's effect. I have one that is battery powered and easier to use than the one's you have to plug in.

static is a constant companion. in research laboratories they use products that remove static prior to using certain types of test gear......it's really just like background noise.....static is part of what we hear, unless it gets removed. how do grounding and static relate? don't know but would guess that there is a connection as it's removal has similar effect to grounding improvement.

Last edited:

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I prefer to characterize the Troy and Emperor as a unique component that acts as a sink to remove as much degrading electronic noise as possible. We would probably all benefit from not calling it a grounding device. There really is no category of component into which this fits. It does not change the sound, or make it just a little more clear. It just let's the music come through in a completely transformed and positive manner. It's hard to discuss with someone who has not heard. The Emperor sounds to be to the Troy to the 10th degree.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Audiocrack,I ground the walker at the grounding post on the back of the table between the rca interconnect connections.
I am so excited for you,that Emperor must be a revelation to have in the system.Maybe someday.

Robert

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Audiocrack,I ground the walker at the grounding post on the back of the table between the rca interconnect connections.
I am so excited for you,that Emperor must be a revelation to have in the system.Maybe someday.

Robert

Hello Robert, thanks for your reply. Apparenly your Walker turntable is of more recent vintage than my Walker table because I have no (separate) grounding post available at the back of my table. So I need to find another solution.

As regards the Tripoint emperor: to an interested audiophile who contacted me offline I wrote last week that I was dumbfounded by what the emperor was doing in my system. At that time I had only connected my various Taralabs grandmaster evolution ic's to the emperor. This weekend I inserted a second Thor se, connected to my Trinity pc & drive. This created a cumulative effect: the sound became even more natural and pure as well as more transparent. Also I experience more speed/explosiveness, although I do not know whether any technical explanation for this feeling of added speed/dynamics can be found.

I have one Thor se left for my Kondo m1000 preamp. I am pretty sure this will be a big step again, very likely even the most important one. If you take into account that the second Thor se is new, that is this cable is not broken in yet. and that the same applies to the emperor itsself as it is not stable yet, this promises to be a very exciting music journey indeed.

If you are in a position to do so, please give the emperor a listen. I assure you that after this experience your audiophile life will never be the same again. It is that good.

Hello Robert, thanks for your reply. Apparenly your Walker turntable is of more recent vintage than my Walker table because I have no (separate) grounding post available at the back of my table. So I need to find another solution.

As regards the Tripoint emperor: to an interested audiophile who contacted me offline I wrote last week that I was dumbfounded by what the emperor was doing in my system. At that time I had only connected my various Taralabs grandmaster evolution ic's to the emperor. This weekend I inserted a second Thor se, connected to my Trinity pc & drive. This created a cumulative effect: the sound became even more natural and pure as well as more transparent. Also I experience more speed/explosiveness, although I do not know whether any technical explanation for this feeling of added speed/dynamics can be found.

I have one Thor se left for my Kondo m1000 preamp. I am pretty sure this will be a big step again, very likely even the most important one. If you take into account that the second Thor se is new, that is this cable is not broken in yet. and that the same applies to the emperor itsself as it is not stable yet, this promises to be a very exciting music journey indeed.

If you are in a position to do so, please give the emperor a listen. I assure you that after this experience your audiophile life will never be the same again. It is that good.

I take that as a warning, Audiocrack. : )

esldude

Maybe you should try spraying some Static Guard around the area of the Troy unit, or even on the surfaces of the unit itself.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I can imagine, but there is the threat of going beyond ones means.

Fair enough. And let us not forget that the Tripoint Troy signature with one or more Tripoint Thor se's is imho a very valuable addition to every audio system. So enjoy Norm.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Added third Tripoint Thor se to my Kondo preamp. As I had expected again a big step forward.

Miguel is extremely pleased with the sonic results by using an anti static gun on all the binding posts of his emperor. According to him the results are spectacular although (so far) they only last for about 24 hours. Norm was equally enthusiastic about his Troy signature and Thor se's after using his anti static gun. I have not tried it yet because my new two Thor se cables and the emperor need to break in. But I have arranged for such a gun and will report my findings once I have tried it. But in light of the experiences of Miguel and Norm there is little doubt in my mind that anti static treatment of the Troy signature and emperor will raise the musical bar once again.

Added third Tripoint Thor se to my Kondo preamp. As I had expected again a big step forward.

Miguel is extremely pleased with the sonic results by using an anti static gun on all the binding posts of his emperor. According to him the results are spectacular although (so far) they only last for about 24 hours. Norm was equally enthusiastic about his Troy signature and Thor se's after using his anti static gun. I have not tried it yet because my new two Thor se cables and the emperor need to break in. But I have arranged for such a gun and will report my findings once I have tried it. But in light of the experiences of Miguel and Norm there is little doubt in my mind that anti static treatment of the Troy signature and emperor will raise the musical bar once again.

Since the function of the ZeroStat is to reduce static electrical charges, one wonders where it came from. Also since I have experienced benefits from treating cables before, is this just the same thing but of greater magnitude? All that I can say is that when the image shrinks, it is time to treat again. Treating other wires is nowhere near as effective.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Since the function of the ZeroStat is to reduce static electrical charges, one wonders where it came from.
One wonders how any parts of a circuit could develop a static charge? Typical anti-static components (mats, pads, straps) measure in the meg-ohm range.

One wonders how any parts of a circuit could develop a static charge? Typical anti-static components (mats, pads, straps) measure in the meg-ohm range.

All that I can say is that I know what damage static charges on a wooden floor do to the sound of cables. From when I lived in the North I'm accustomed to me zapping the component rather than it me. In this case I have never seen any evidence of a spark, etc. I recently zapped the binding posts on my speakers. I could hear a difference but it was much less impressive.

All that I really know is that this treatment of the Signature works great.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I knew Miguel was making these devices for this show and later read these over the top comments. I wish I had been at this show.

Never too late , next show date set as July 11th 2015 , see you there .

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
'TBG' that's because you or the ZeroStat is what is developing the charge (the ZeroStat has opposite polarity of what vinyl records normally have). Be real careful just what you ZeroStat, the inputs to integrated circuits can get damaged by static. That's way when you work inside computers and the like you make sure that the computer and you are grounded.

On another note, decades ago I found out that the early Soundstream digital recorder was sensitive to static. It was a cold (for Atlanta) dry day. I touched one of the control switches and the recorder changed modes. Luckily we weren't recording at the time because even way back the recording time was $200 a minute.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Om
'TBG' that's because you or the ZeroStat is what is developing the charge (the ZeroStat has opposite polarity of what vinyl records normally have). Be real careful just what you ZeroStat, the inputs to integrated circuits can get damaged by static. That's way when you work inside computers and the like you make sure that the computer and you are grounded.

On another note, decades ago I found out that the early Soundstream digital recorder was sensitive to static. It was a cold (for Atlanta) dry day. I touched one of the control switches and the recorder changed modes. Luckily we weren't recording at the time because even way back the recording time was $200 a minute.

Kevin, trying to understand what you are actually saying. Do you mean that using an anti static gun in combination with a Tripoint Troy signature or emperor may cause damages? If so, damages to what? Could you please explain in more detail? Miguel sold a very large number of Troys all over the world and never one failed or caused any problems. So clearly the Tripoint devices are very stable and reliable (and built like a tank I can assure you after lifting the emperor and getting this 'beast' up and running into my system). So I suppose you are not referring to the Troy or emperor in particular but using anti static guns on binding post in general?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
What I mean:
a] Almost all the terminals & connectors on hi-fi components and AC power units when interconnected have a resistive path to the Safety Ground conductor which is connected to the power company Neutral which is connected to Mother Earth. So any static charge will quickly drain away. It's the moving human (or cat) that builds up the static charge that causes a spark.
b] Some integrated circuit inputs (both analog & digital) can be damaged or eventually destroyed by static. So use care when dealing with inputs or computer cards.
c] No, static should not damage any AC power connections.
d] The Soundstream type problem is covered in "The Art of Electronics" book, section 8.35 Congenital weaknesses of TTL and CMOS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing