Usher Be-718

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
I'm on my second pair. Very well balanced speaker that does nothing wrong and excels in performance per dollar.
I know that these were very favorably reviewed upon introduction but the brand in general seems to have fallen off the radar; probably due to a change in US distribution. To my shame, I've yet to hear the diamond tweeter.

I heard the Be-10 in a purpose built room being fed by Burmester, c-j, and Nordost. It was among the most impressive audio systems I've ever experienced.

Initially, I was reluctant to even listen to the 718 due to its obvious cosmetic resemblance to sonus faber. Glad I changed my mind.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I haven't heard the BE-718, but as you said they get rave reviews. I purchased BE-20Ds last year and am very happy. I think the Ushers are a great deal for the $ and compete with significantly higher $ speakers. I always feel like Usher doesn't do them justice at shows since they are coupled with their own preamp, amp and CD player. I get the "we do it all" philosophy, but the speakers in particular perform much better with better gear (as they should). I can say that since replacing 2 R1.5 usher amps with 1 Wells Audio Innamorata, the difference is startling.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is there a link to the reviews? As I admitted in the other threads, I have always walked past their booth at shows :p. And have not taken them seriously until you all started to post about them here. Love to learn more.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning to you, Amir. Ushers have a pretty strong following on some other audio circles, not because of people defending them for one reason or another (like Emotiva for example), it's because of the sound. I haven't heard any Usher's myself unfortunately, so I can't comment but just based upon the empirical evidence I have seen/read over the years, you might want to stop by next time you have the chance. I know I will. Way too much high praise for this company for me not to. FWIW.

Tom

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
Is there a link to the reviews? As I admitted in the other threads, I have always walked past their booth at shows :p. And have not taken them seriously until you all started to post about them here. Love to learn more.

Wes Phillips - Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/508ush/

John Potis - Six Moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher2/tinydancer.html

Doug Schneider - Soundstage:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/usheraudio_be718.htm

And also,

Alan Sircom - Hi-Fi + on the Be-20 DMD:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/from-usher-with-love/?page=2

Chris Martens - Absolute Sound on the original Be-20:

http://www.everestaudio.com/reviews/44812_eprint.pdf

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO

Amir, I have listened to Steve's BE-20's and can say this. With his current room treatments and ancillary gear, his Ushers present a soundstage that is more 3 dimensional than any I have heard in a home environment other than a friend's Arrakis based system. I wish I could get the soundstage his Ushers present in his listening room.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Amir, I have listened to Steve's BE-20's and can say this. With his current room treatments and ancillary gear, his Ushers present a soundstage that is more 3 dimensional than any I have heard in a home environment other than a friend's Arrakis based system. I wish I could get the soundstage his Ushers present in his listening room.

Hey, thanks Steve, was fun having you guys over.

WRT the BE-718s, GR Research out of Dallas provided the US version of the crossover, upgraded from the typical. I'm contemplating their upgrade hit for the BE20s (includes wiring, xover components).

I was just in Taiwan and my last day before flying back to the states, I found Usher Audio was a 10 minute cab ride away. Next trip....

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I have the Mini X right now and the T-515. The Mini X is going to steal the show at Lone Star Audio Fest this year. I'm still working on breaking them in, but at 20-30 hours and paired with my 845 monoblocks, they create one of the best systems I've heard to date.

c9mnlhli3mde.jpg
7rrst9tosquy.jpg
sdcmm19txy88.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have always been impressed with the Usher speakers. When I first started doing shows, I got connected with Stan Tracht and JPS. I provided the music and some of the source equipment for the shows. We did a number of shows with everything from the 718 all the way up to the Be-20 in both Beryllium and Diamond. After 3-4 days of 12hr. listening, they were never fatiguing and always impressed me at how truthful they were to my mastered recordings.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have always been impressed with the Usher speakers. When I first started doing shows, I got connected with Stan Tracht and JPS. I provided the music and some of the source equipment for the shows. We did a number of shows with everything from the 718 all the way up to the Be-20 in both Beryllium and Diamond. After 3-4 days of 12hr. listening, they were never fatiguing and always impressed me at how truthful they were to my mastered recordings.

Great info, thanks Bruce. Stan is no longer the dealer, he's out of the Audio business. He sold me his last pair of speakers and JPS Aluminata speaker cables. I know at the shows Usher usually leverages their own R1.5 amp, pre and CD player. I had a pair of the R1.5 amps, and they sounded very good (according to Stan they use the R1.5s to voice the BE-20s). After recently switching to a Wells Audio Innamorata, it's a completely higher level of transparency, realism with significantly tighter and more articulate bass. Hopefully at the shows, they leverage other pre amps, CD players and amps because the speakers are capable of much more than what's likely being exhibited at the shows. They are not doing them justice IMO.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have the Mini X right now and the T-515. The Mini X is going to steal the show at Lone Star Audio Fest this year. I'm still working on breaking them in, but at 20-30 hours and paired with my 845 monoblocks, they create one of the best systems I've heard to date.

View attachment 18902
View attachment 18903
View attachment 18904

I live in Round Rock and will likely be at the show, with some audio buddies from around Austin. Look forward to hearing them and seeing you.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I live in Round Rock and will likely be at the show, with some audio buddies from around Austin. Look forward to hearing them and seeing you.

I am looking forward to it as well. I'm a big supporter of the show, and part of my support was trying to get new products so it doesn't get stale. The Mini X and T-515 are my first successful venture thanks to Katli Audio, the US distributor for Usher now. Stan is no longer in Dallas and Fred has taken over the reigns.

I don't think the Mini X will be making it back to Fred. They will be sold one way or the other - I just don't see it not happening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing