Esoteric K01 vs dCS Puccini

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi all,

Update. Auditioning the Puccini with clock. Suffice to say I am not impressed at the moment.

Any thoughts on burn in time with a used unit. Also any input on balanced versus single ended?

Thanks for any comments.

PS: I auditioned a K01 about a year ago and ended up returning.

Gordon, based on your dislike for Esoteric and DCS, I'd say your less into detail and more into bloom. Different strokes for different folks and all that. I'd suggest something like Lampizator where you can "tune" the level of bloom to your liking.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hmm, I heard the K-01 many times at a mates house on the Stax 009s and BHSE. Not impressed by the DAC. It was dynamic but cold and too 'hifi' for me. My AMR at that time was better, as was my Audio Note. K-01 was far away from what I perceive as real sounding (live event or good vinyl). Each to there own. That owner has since sold it at a big loss and bought the schiit yggdrasil at 1/8 the cost and likes that better.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hmm, I heard the K-01 many times at a mates house on the Stax 009s and BHSE. Not impressed by the DAC. It was dynamic but cold and too 'hifi' for me. My AMR at that time was better, as was my Audio Note. K-01 was far away from what I perceive as real sounding (live event or good vinyl). Each to there own. That owner has since sold it at a big loss and bought the schiit yggdrasil at 1/8 the cost and likes that better.

With all due respect the ~$2k Schiit Yggdrasil isn't in the same league as a dual mono ~70lb $23K K-01. Like comparing a Ford Focus to a Porsche 911 on the track. The Schiit is compared in Stereophile to the $2K Mytec Brooklyn which makes perfect sense. TAS recommends the K-01 and compares it to the ~$11k dCS Debussy DAC. I've owned several Esoterics, if it sounds cold check elsewhere in your system, unless you enjoy warmth and bloom more than accuracy and dynamics.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
With all due respect the ~$2k Schiit Yggdrasil isn't in the same league as a dual mono ~70lb $23K K-01. Like comparing a Ford Focus to a Porsche 911 on the track. The Schiit is compared in Stereophile to the $2K Mytec Brooklyn which makes perfect sense. TAS recommends the K-01 and compares it to the ~$11k dCS Debussy DAC. I've owned several Esoterics, if it sounds cold check elsewhere in your system, unless you enjoy warmth and bloom more than accuracy and dynamics.

The K-01 is not a Porsche. Price does not always equate to performance. I get your drift, and the technical specs on that DAC are superb. But TBH I have heard many R-2R DACs for less than half that price that sound way better, one of them was solid state (TotalDAC) just before you proclaim tube coloured sound. On the Yggy, it has regularly been compared to DACs costing 3 times as much, and held it's own.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi sbo,

To me, price (and weight) mean nothing. Musicality means everything. As with any piece of gear, synergy and personal preference are critical. May try the Luxman P06 next if my Cary goes south but for the moment and with the switch to using Shunyata Research power cords on all my components, I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

Gordon

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
On the Yggy, it has regularly been compared to DACs costing 3 times as much, and held it's own.

Yggy @3x MSRP = ~6K, great compare it to the K-05 or K-07. However I do understand everyone has their own sound they like and Esoteric may not be for everyone.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi Gordon,

To each his own. No one can tell anyone what to like. However there are usually good reasons why audio components (and many things in life) cost more for increased satisfaction. That's why SOTA systems aren't $3K and why you have MBL and not Polk.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Gordon,

To each his own. No one can tell anyone what to like. However there are usually good reasons why audio components (and many things in life) cost more for increased satisfaction. That's why SOTA systems aren't $3K and why you have MBL and not Polk.

It is because of such perceptions that marketeers price products high so that people believe it's for a reason.

Esoteric has a good transport. Their dac...Gordon is bang on about that one.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

This is getting silly. I would say to sbo6 to get to hear an R-2R DAC and hear where the NOS tech has got nowadays. It is not just the Lampi, there are many fine R-2R DACs around now, the market has exploded somewhat.

IMO there is an underlining character to an R-2R DACs that grab me, more fluid and real sounding. The K-01 was impressive, but I got bored after a few hours listening. I also heard the CH Precision C1 (on it's own) and had the same feeling, though that DAC was clearly better than the K-01. It was too much sugar, nice at first then the enjoyment went. It is hard to explain in a forum. Get to hear a TotalDAC is my recommendation to sbo6.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi guys,

In my older age, I've learned not to fight and simply say what my experiences are and leave it at that. I'll leave it to others to determine "value".

Ked and I have had our "discussions" in the past but I learned, over time, that he offers an amazing amount of information based on personal experiences which is a benefit to all of us.

To my MLOC colleague sbo, I know lots of folks who are Esoteric fans and that's all good. But there are just so many digital products on the market and the ceiling (performance) keeps getting higher and the prices lower. In the end and for me as I reach retirement (8 months to go), the gear matters less and the enjoyment much more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi guys,

In my older age, I've learned not to fight and simply say what my experiences are and leave it at that. I'll leave it to others to determine "value".

Ked and I have had our "discussions" in the past but I learned, over time, that he offers an amazing amount of information based on personal experiences which is a benefit to all of us.

To my MLOC colleague sbo, I know lots of folks who are Esoteric fans and that's all good. But there are just so many digital products on the market and the ceiling (performance) keeps getting higher and the prices lower. In the end and for me as I reach retirement (8 months to go), the gear matters less and the enjoyment much more.

Thanks GG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing