Esoteric K01 vs dCS Puccini

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Anyone have personal experience regarding these two SACD CDP's?

Contemplating big (for me) purchase.

Playback Design ruled out due to inability to program select tracks.

Thanks in advance for any comments / insights.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Dude,

Very familiar with both. It's like comparing a 1992 Accord to a new Corvette. Puccinni sounds detailed (in a bad way) and slow. It's design is from the late 2000's and doesn't really take into account the innovation leaps digital has made in the last 5 years. If it didn't have a dcs logo on it, it wouldn't get half the respect it does, and go used for $4K.

Esoteric k01, on the other hand, is very detailed yet musical; it has musical detail, as opposed to the distracting detail that is so in vogue in high end audio today. It can be analytical in the wrong system, but I think it will be sublime in your MBL system.

Now, if you go with the K01x, it will be like supercharging the Vette.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I've had the previous Esoteric series, the X-01SE and the P3/D3 combo (DAC/transport). The dCS Puccini (with clock) killed both.
And the Playback Designs, in turn, kills the dCS :)
Mind you, friends have heard the new K-series, and proclaimed them to be much superior to the older series, much less fatiguing.

alexandre

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've had the previous Esoteric series, the X-01SE and the P3/D3 combo (DAC/transport). The dCS Puccini (with clock) killed both.
And the Playback Designs, in turn, kills the dCS :)
Mind you, friends have heard the new K-series, and proclaimed them to be much superior to the older series, much less fatiguing.

alexandre

Alexandre, the K-01 is in a different league than other Esoteric players. I am not even a fan of any of their other newer k units, and k01 makes k03 and k05 sound like drek.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
i had both the x-01 and the k-01. x-01 had a nasal sluggish sound and was really embarrassed by the playback designs unit. i had a home demo of the puccini as well at that time and found it too forward for my taste, although as an fpga based design it improved substantially overtime with firmware upgrades to the point that it is now a much better machine than it was when it came out. more future-proof in that sense compared to esoterics. so one needs to hear a unit with the latest firmware.

i agree the k-01 is is A LOT better than the x-01 and the d2 it replaced thanks to the 8 parallel akm dacs/channel architecture. i have not heard the x version yet, but it is the same transport, same architecture same clock with the newer akm parts and without digital volume control.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
i had both the x-01 and the k-01. x-01 had a nasal sluggish sound and was really embarrassed by the playback designs unit. i had a home demo of the puccini as well at that time and found it too forward for my taste, although as an fpga based design it improved substantially overtime with firmware upgrades to the point that it is now a much better machine than it was when it came out. more future-proof in that sense compared to esoterics. so one needs to hear a unit with the latest firmware.

i agree the k-01 is is A LOT better than the x-01 and the d2 it replaced thanks to the 8 parallel akm dacs/channel architecture. i have not heard the x version yet, but it is the same transport, same architecture same clock with the newer akm parts and without digital volume control.

I also own the K-01 and I love its sound through the DAC, CD and SACD player. Incredibly transparent, detailed and dynamic without sounding analytical. I use a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable on the DAC and it raises the DAC performance right up to the level of the transport. I have not heard the K-01X but the exclusion of the digital volume control is a major omission for those who are building a system such as myself. I also prefer the sound of native sampling to oversampling, so the addition of 8 times oversampling adds little value for me.

Best,
Ken

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
i agree with you ken re: oversampling and digital attenuation. plus they should have offered an upgrade option to k-01 owners, basically there is no change apart from two boards with new akm chips on

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
i agree with you ken re: oversampling and digital attenuation. plus they should have offered an upgrade option to k-01 owners, basically there is no change apart from two boards with new akm chips on

Hi Mcduman,

There actually is an upgrade currently available for the K-01 and K-03. This excerpt is from the K-03X brochure:

Upgrade services are available for the K-01 or K-03 where speci?c new functions employed by X edition models can be added.
Applicable models: K-01, K-03
Details: USB input capability extended (Compatible with 2.8 MHz DSD and 384 kHz/32-bit PCM*)
Allows synchronization with an external master clock generator or 10 MHz clock signal when the USB input is selected.
*Not compatible with 5.6 MHz DSD.

The upgrade is being done by TAP, Esoteric's authorized service center. I don't know the cost. Here is the link to their website:
http://www.tapelectronics.com/service-overview/

Best,
Ken

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
yes, that is the usb board though which i do not care that much for. the real upgrade is the dac boards which are not that difficult to swap, if you peered inside the machine

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
yes, that is the usb board though which i do not care that much for. the real upgrade is the dac boards which are not that difficult to swap, if you peered inside the machine

I guess Esoteric does not want to upgrade the DAC boards because they would rather sell a new K-01X or K-03X to current K-01 or K-03 owners. So in reality, the K-01 and K-03 are only partially upgradeable and not the most important part.

Ken

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
I guess Esoteric does not want to upgrade the DAC boards because they would rather sell a new K-01X or K-03X to current K-01 or K-03 owners. So in reality, the K-01 and K-03 are only partially upgradeable and not the most important part.

Ken

exactly. i decided to skip this one

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Has anyone used the digital volume control on the unit and eliminating their preamp?

How did it compare sonically?

Thanks again for any feedback.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Has anyone used the digital volume control on the unit and eliminating their preamp?

Yes, I am currently using the Esoteric K-01's digital volume control as I am in the process of revising my system. The current system is the K-01, Soulution 501 mono amps and Revel Salon 2 speakers. I previously tried this system with and without a Pass XP-30 preamp before I sold it. Running without the XP-30 and using the digital volume, the sound is supremely transparent and neutral without a hint of brightness. Dynamics and imaging are solid. With the addition of the XP-30, the sound becomes smoother and warmer with some improvement in dynamics. But the negative is some audible increase in brightness of the treble. So to conclude, there were some trade-offs under both scenarios. I'll be taking delivery on a Soulution 520 preamp in a couple weeks, so I'll try this test again with and without the 520. Interestingly, I did the same exact test when I used to own a Cary SLP-05 preamp and had exactly the same results as with the XP-30.

Last edited:

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO

Gordon, I have experience with the K03 and the Puccini and prefer the K03, even to the Puccini with the dcs clock. I've no experience with the K01.

bk12

Apr 26, 2014
I have to say I haven't heard the Esoteric unit, but felt I would weigh in the dCS comments. I am so surprised to find comments that the dCS is slow and outdated. I had the Paganini for a while, and have to say that smooth, accurate are better descriptors. Maybe it is my ESL speakers, but I never found the dCS to sound overly analytical and am always surprised at comments like this-still miss the dCS in my system!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you all for the input.

The disparity in opinions just reinforces my feelings that an in home audition is a must.

bk12

Apr 26, 2014
Thank you all for the input.

The disparity in opinions just reinforces my feelings that an in home audition is a must.

This is the absolute thing if you can do it. IMO, when dealing with pieces of this magnitude, it comes down to personal taste and system makeup. You hate to have any doubts when you are dropping this kind of coin, and it seems there are no absolute community opinions between pieces this nice.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Unless Esoteric has an analog volume control now, I wouldn't use it the VC in their units.
Ditto for dCS.
Going amp direct with both will be shocking at first, but tiring in the long run.

alexandre

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Unless Esoteric has an analog volume control now, I wouldn't use it the VC in their units.
Ditto for dCS.
Going amp direct with both will be shocking at first, but tiring in the long run.

alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

I've been running the Esoteric K-01 straight to my Soulution 501 mono amps for the last several months and the sound is anything but tiring. There are trade-offs going with or without the preamp as I've described in a previous post. I could make the case that running without preamp is less fatiguing because its sounds more neutral in the treble. However, the preamp adds some nice things too.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing