Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is the best product to blend Subwoofer with your speakers? Only DSP low end

I have a good friend who is really into this room tuning, bass correction etc. He uses a fully integrated system using a pc as the digital source from which he does the room correction tuning, then he feeds this into digital, and then into three way cross-over less main speakers, and two passive subs - again without cross-overs. It was possible as a result of being all digital which allowed for crossovers in the digital domain without recourse to analogue circuits to do the frequency splits.
    I was impressed with the top to bottom evenness of the sound, in particular the bass which was very deep and articulate. I would add that being digital it seemed to be a tad matter of fact but I guess that is the price of accuracy.
    I think the only product that I have come across that may fit the bill is the Rives Parc. Likewise can I just add that I recall speaking to someone at REL, and his view was that one should simply run the subs of the speaker at line level.

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Hi Peter,

No subs yet. Just shared prior experiences. Still looking for solution.
    Hi Caesar,

We just finished installing a 2 sub system into our reference room. In this case we were using the superb Aluminous all aluminum subwoofers. Whatever sub you choose, whether it has an integrated xover and amp or not, I highly recommend getting the XTZ Pro room analyser. This is a very reasonably priced measurement device that gives you a wealth of information about speaker response and room acoustics. We were able to precisely set the sub acoustic level and cross-over point to match the main speakers in less than half an hour. Then using its time alignment feature we were able to determine that we needed to move the subs 222mm forward of the main speakers to achieve perfect time alignment.

You could spend hours, days and weeks doing this by ear and never achieve the equivalent alignment. The sound was glorious and perfectly integrated. There was no audible hint that a sub was being used in the system.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! GaryProtein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    . . . .I don't think it's even worthwhile to try a pair of subs or more unless one is willing to use a crossover, some EQ and delay. Subs aren't different from any other driver in a speaker. Speaker manufacturers spend a lot effort EQing their design with analog parts to get all the drivers to cohere. The sub and bottom end of the full ranger need a crossover for the bass to sound natural. Otherwise a compromise must be struck. The specifics will depend on the system, but there will be a less than desirable outcome without these basic elements. . . . .
    Michael.

Thank you!
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
    I have a good friend who is really into this room tuning, bass correction etc. He uses a fully integrated system using a pc as the digital source from which he does the room correction tuning, then he feeds this into digital, and then into three way cross-over less main speakers, and two passive subs - again without cross-overs. It was possible as a result of being all digital which allowed for crossovers in the digital domain without recourse to analogue circuits to do the frequency splits.
    I was impressed with the top to bottom evenness of the sound, in particular the bass which was very deep and articulate. I would add that being digital it seemed to be a tad matter of fact but I guess that is the price of accuracy.
    I think the only product that I have come across that may fit the bill is the Rives Parc. Likewise can I just add that I recall speaking to someone at REL, and his view was that one should simply run the subs of the speaker at line level.
    The above system may sound great, therefore this is not a criticism. I am going to make a statement which might be correct or incorrect. Please comment on the following:

1} pc/digital source is balancing the time arrival of the different frequencies to the ears in the room.

2} QUOTE from above: "then he feeds this into digital, and then into three way cross-over less main speakers, and two passive subs - again without cross-overs" end quote.
    Therefore, >>>all drivers [passive subs included] are receiving ~20 - ~20,000 because there are no limiters [crossovers]<<<.
    Thus, these drivers are having to work outside of their sweet spot.

Correct, Incorrect, Something different?

zz.
    Last edited by zztop7; 02-13-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234