Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: What is the best product to blend Subwoofer with your speakers? Only DSP low end

  1. #1

    What is the best product to blend Subwoofer with your speakers? Only DSP low end

    If you are only interested in blending the subs with your system and not full DSP, what are contenders for the best product out there? Or are all products for this purpose commodities, since you do not hear, but only feel those low frequencies?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    If you are only interested in blending the subs with your system and not full DSP, what are contenders for the best product out there? Or are all products for this purpose commodities, since you do not hear, but only feel those low frequencies?
    Well what are you using ? I think the miniDSP line has some excellent product out. I myself, I use REW filters and JRiver PEQ - but in my case, the computer is the prepro. I use MathAudio EQ for the mains and I got a decent curve using both.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by prerich View Post
    Well what are you using ? I think the miniDSP line has some excellent product out. I myself, I use REW filters and JRiver PEQ - but in my case, the computer is the prepro. I use MathAudio EQ for the mains and I got a decent curve using both.
    MBL 101 is the speaker, which has a pretty robust bass response. I haven't decided on the specifics, but at least 2 large subs to start out with.

  4. #4
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    If you are only interested in blending the subs with your system and not full DSP, what are contenders for the best product out there? Or are all products for this purpose commodities, since you do not hear, but only feel those low frequencies?
    What do you mean by "product"? Are you talking about software or hardware? Are you talking about a full standing speaker with built in sub? I'm confused since there's so many ways subs are incorporated into full range speakers.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

  5. #5
    [Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,236
    I would think the last thing I would do with MBL 101E MKI or MKIIs is to add a sub. Why would you want this? Do you have a bass node issue? I have owned and tested both versions, the bass is tighter and lower on the MKII but the MKI was very satisfying.

  6. #6
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,090

    Got bass?

    Here's a great track to test how well your subs are integrated:
    MUSIC IS GOOD

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Breuninger View Post
    I would think the last thing I would do with MBL 101E MKI or MKIIs is to add a sub. Why would you want this? Do you have a bass node issue? I have owned and tested both versions, the bass is tighter and lower on the MKII but the MKI was very satisfying.
    Hi Peter,

    I think it's all room dependent. I have heard 101's mk1 with subs. In a nutshell, subs are a huge improvement to the already phenomenal MBL time machine. Although the 101 already has an incredible bass response down to low 20's, good subs take it down to very low teens, allowing to hear more of the original acoustical environment. But in addition to lower bass response , the system sounded more musically transparent (not the stupid, annoying resolution of artifacts that people mistake for transparency), they also cleaned up the midrange and highs, improved image specificity in the soundstage, made the 101 even more dynamic, and of course allowed for the bass lines to be followed better, allowing to get into the music even more .

    I could go on and on analyzing, but overall realism improvement is incredible. It's like paying $8-10k for $50k of electronics. From what I have heard, other than getting the right amps that can properly power the 101 beasts, I can't imagine a better upgrade.

    And for guys who already have the101 mk 1 and love it, and yet are discouraged to going to mk 2 because of the hassle factor of moving and selling large speakers, this is a no-brainer move.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    What do you mean by "product"? Are you talking about software or hardware? Are you talking about a full standing speaker with built in sub? I'm confused since there's so many ways subs are incorporated into full range speakers.
    Hi Dallas,

    All I am trying to do is to take the signal from my preamp out and send it to the subs, in addition to sending it to the amplifiers. So I am looking for the subs to augment the bass response that the amplifier/ speaker is already creating.

  9. #9
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Hi Dallas,

    All I am trying to do is to take the signal from my preamp out and send it to the subs, in addition to sending it to the amplifiers. So I am looking for the subs to augment the bass response that the amplifier/ speaker is already creating.
    Okay. Is your system source digital or analog? Can you describe it?

    I strongly feel the best solution always requires a crossover on both the R/L speakers and the sub. You will always get smoother phase at the crossover and hence more even bass. If you have a computer source it's best to use a MCH DAC. But you can still do a crossover of sorts with a 2 CH DAC IF you have a JL Audio sub with E.L.F. function.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    Okay. Is your system source digital or analog? Can you describe it?

    I strongly feel the best solution always requires a crossover on both the R/L speakers and the sub. You will always get smoother phase at the crossover and hence more even bass. If you have a computer source it's best to use a MCH DAC. But you can still do a crossover of sorts with a 2 CH DAC IF you have a JL Audio sub with E.L.F. function.
    System is pretty standard: Good old cd player and analog sources going to a preamp, going to an amp, going to speakers. Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New product teaser - Purity does it again
    By Purity Audio Design 1 in forum Industry Events And Announcements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
  3. Q7 won TAS product of the year
    By stereo in forum Magico Speaker Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
  5. Product Placement in Movies
    By MylesBAstor in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 04:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •