Whiplash

Shadowfax

Jul 17, 2014
Southampton-Bucks County PA
If your a Drummer or just like Buddy Rich era of jazz, see this movie. Miles Teller (Local to me from Downingtown PA) and JK Simmons are the main characters in a film about an abusive Jazz Band leader in a top Music School.

The movie and content along with the acting is great, but the music is even better. I never realized just how complicated and hard these old drum parts actually are.

You can listen to the full soundtrack on youtube

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Just saw this on a Jet Blue flight back from New Orleans this weekend. Good flick.

(but the real live jazz and blues in the clubs down there were more awesome)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I loved it. I've read a few complaints that it wasn't "realistic." Umm...I don't think the director set out to make a documentary: this is the story of a very disturbed man! I would like to have had more back story on Fletcher's character and what drove him to be sadistic beyond his desire for perfection.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Fletcher reminded me of one of my residency program directors.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Saw this a couple of weeks ago. It is a must watch movie. Not that it is grand in scale. It is not as it was made in just 19 days! Yes, 19 days. What I liked about it is the JK Simmons acting which won him an oscar for best supporting actor. Miles Teller acting was good but not as much as JK. What he brought though was more than acting: he brought realism to the movie by playing 90% of the drumming. He was a self taught drummer but had to relearn Jazz in just a few weeks. I don't know how someone could learn so fast.

Here is the trailer for people who have not seen it yet:

If you share love of movies and music, this is a movie you need to watch! The trailer does not do justice to it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing