SRA for Opus MM2

number95

May 14, 2014
I concur using better isolation below Transparent networks make a quite dramatic impact. Lower noise floor, better tone color, crystal clear highs and better bass articulation (not stronger but clearer bass tones with much less artifacts). I first tried wooden blocks to keep the networks at a bit higher to floor, the net impact was arguably better but with reservations. Then decided to put Acapella bases (were spare at the time) this time much better with no ifs no buts. Unfortunately used to order a pair of SRA for the networks before trying Acapella, hope they raise the bar or are at least at par with Acapella. I will update this thread after SRA getting delivered.

I just found time to update this. The impact of SRA bases is hard to believe. I have thought previously they would only make a subtle difference compared to Acapella bases, I was very wrong and SRA one more time has succeeded to surprise me. I have never thought Ref MM2 would be that good. With SRA under networks and Shunyata DF-SS elevetors, I bet my Ref MM2 may beat Opus MM2 without any cable elevetor plus network base in some areas. So, treatment of network with best possible effort is essential to get maximum of Transparent. Ok, if I need to mention a few sonic improvements, the most vital one is clarity, lack of noise, especially high frequencies are crystal clear, those improve transparency and resolution. Fatigue is completely gone, even the most complex musical passages are delivered w/o any stress or harshness. Bass texture is better and lower frequencies are stronger, helping to a more realistic and 3D presentation.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I just found time to update this. The impact of SRA bases is hard to believe. I have thought previously they would only make a subtle difference compared to Acapella bases, I was very wrong and SRA one more time has succeeded to surprise me. I have never thought Ref MM2 would be that good. With SRA under networks and Shunyata DF-SS elevetors, I bet my Ref MM2 may beat Opus MM2 without any cable elevetor plus network base in some areas. So, treatment of network with best possible effort is essential to get maximum of Transparent. Ok, if I need to mention a few sonic improvements, the most vital one is clarity, lack of noise, especially high frequencies are crystal clear, those improve transparency and resolution. Fatigue is completely gone, even the most complex musical passages are delivered w/o any stress or harshness. Bass texture is better and lower frequencies are stronger, helping to a more realistic and 3D presentation.

I agree. When I used MIT cables, I placed Stillpoints under the network boxes with remarkable success. Results just as number95 suggests.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014

i told you man. looking forward to hearing your system soon....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
fantastic report. I have not isolated my RefXL MM2s from underneath (other than soft felt pads since the wood floor does flex a bit) but have found great benefit in using extra big Entreq Vibb Eaters on top of the network box. will try to give proper 'sandwich isolation' a try.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree. When I used MIT cables, I placed Stillpoints under the network boxes with remarkable success. Results just as number95 suggests.

Hi Frank,

Which Stillpoints did you use? Or do i need to even ask? eek...Ultra 5s? ;)

number95

May 14, 2014

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hi Frank,
Which Stillpoints did you use? Or do i need to even ask? eek...Ultra 5s? ;)

Lloyd, you should no better than to ask, of course Ultra 5s. I tried some other types I had lying around but the Ultras worked best.
I even tried the Ultra 5s under the MIT boxes placed on Finite Elemente amp stands but it was overkill.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, you should no better than to ask, of course Ultra 5s. I tried some other types I had lying around but the Ultras worked best.
I even tried the Ultra 5s under the MIT boxes placed on Finite Elemente amp stands but it was overkill.

Yes, i should have known better indeed! OKAY - so lay it on me. Exactly how did you set these up? One Ultra 5 underneath in the midde of the network box? Or two per network?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, i should have known better indeed! OKAY - so lay it on me. Exactly how did you set these up? One Ultra 5 underneath in the midde of the network box? Or two per network?

Actually, the Oracle MA-X SHD boxes are very large. I used 3 Ultra 5s per, 2 on the back end and one in the middle of the front end. Ridiculous I know. Long gone now along with the Stillpoints.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Actually, the Oracle MA-X SHD boxes are very large. I used 3 Ultra 5s per, 2 on the back end and one in the middle of the front end. Ridiculous I know. Long gone now along with the Stillpoints.

Whew! Well...something to consider given my own experiments have proven fruitful

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I guess I should not be surprised on this ! And I am going to have to find a way to try this also. Thank you for following up. Give me a few weeks/months, I'll try it soon !

blackhawk6969

Sep 27, 2015
Liverpool, England
I tried a similar experiment with pretty good results, so I have no doubt you hear improvements. In my case it was fairly subtle:

REF XL on a Vibraplane:
View attachment 18614

REF XL on a DIY bubble wrap:

View attachment 18615

Hi Peter,
Just wanted to say thank you, for posting your DIY bubble wrap pic. I tried the tweak underneath my Transparent MusicWave Ultra MM network boxes. The improvement aren't just subtle but clearly audible...increase in overall resolution and better tuneful bass

Many thanks

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning to you blackhawk6969. Please allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the WBF. Glad to have you aboard sir and thanks for sharing your observations.

Tom

blackhawk6969

Sep 27, 2015
Liverpool, England
Hello and good morning to you blackhawk6969. Please allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the WBF. Glad to have you aboard sir and thanks for sharing your observations.

Tom

Hi Tom,
Thank you Tom for accepting my registration to join your forum

There are a lot to learn from and share with audiophiles from around the world. I've already picked up a very valuable new tweak for free. Ha!

Keep it up

Kind regards
Wale

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is known but not proved that the mechanical properties of cables are responsible for a significant part of their "sound" . Changing the support of the cables will naturally make it sound different, but whether it is an improvement or a step back will depend on system and room mechanical properties. I have seen the Nordost Sort Kones or Finite Element ceraballs making significant improvements in systems, but sometimes they make it sound even worst. My listening room floor was built using "audiophile" techniques taken from the description of Winston Ma listening room and the cables spikes of the network boxes seat on soft wood - the effect of using mechanical isolation devices under the Opus networks is not significant.

Curiously I remember that Shunyata Orion speaker cables benefited a lot form using the cable elevators.

number95

May 14, 2014
It is known but not proved that the mechanical properties of cables are responsible for a significant part of their "sound" . Changing the support of the cables will naturally make it sound different, but whether it is an improvement or a step back will depend on system and room mechanical properties. I have seen the Nordost Sort Kones or Finite Element ceraballs making significant improvements in systems, but sometimes they make it sound even worst. My listening room floor was built using "audiophile" techniques taken from the description of Winston Ma listening room and the cables spikes of the network boxes seat on soft wood - the effect of using mechanical isolation devices under the Opus networks is not significant.

Curiously I remember that Shunyata Orion speaker cables benefited a lot form using the cable elevators.

I agree that impact of isolation should be more prominent in case of carpet. Regarding cable elevators, interestingly power cords also benefited in my case.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,
Just wanted to say thank you, for posting your DIY bubble wrap pic. I tried the tweak underneath my Transparent MusicWave Ultra MM network boxes. The improvement aren't just subtle but clearly audible...increase in overall resolution and better tuneful bass

Many thanks

You are most welcome, blackhawk6969. I'm glad someone found a benefit to that contraption. It is fun when one can hear an audible improvement with such an inexpensive tweak.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Because my Zanden Transport is in for repair, i have 8 Ultra 5s just sitting around along with a number of HRS DPXII plates...

...so i went ahead and did the 'unthinkable' and put 2 each under the TA RefXL MM2 network boxes...and then eventually 3 under each network box. Definitively better, clearer, etc...everything people here have pretty much been saying. I would say it is not equivalent to an upgrade of 1 level up on TA, but it is noticeably better.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Because my Zanden Transport is in for repair, i have 8 Ultra 5s just sitting around along with a number of HRS DPXII plates...

...so i went ahead and did the 'unthinkable' and put 2 each under the TA RefXL MM2 network boxes...and then eventually 3 under each network box. Definitively better, clearer, etc...everything people here have pretty much been saying. I would say it is not equivalent to an upgrade of 1 level up on TA, but it is noticeably better.

Damn you guys...now I am going to have to try something soon :). Lloyd thanks for posting...a lot of feedback here saying it's better...from guys I trust...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Damn you guys...now I am going to have to try something soon :). Lloyd thanks for posting...a lot of feedback here saying it's better...from guys I trust...

I have Entreq vibb eaters on top from experiments many moons ago...but these Ultra 5s just went under tonite because they were sitting around while my Zanden is in for repair. Decided to stick a few things under and on top of the Oppo transport while i'm at it...all good. But the experiment with the network box did surprise me since i already had the big Vibb Eaters on top already.

BTW, i am giving an SC upgrade some serious consideration...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing