SRA for Opus MM2

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

Having already spent a lot on the Transparents, I said WTH and tried Ohio Class SRA platforms under the speaker cables, and the result was stupidly good. Better extension on both extremes, body, dynamism, drama, everything. I do not know if anybody tried this before but it is definitely worthwhile.

I plan to upgrade to gen v this year, curious to know what happens next

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Having already spent a lot on the Transparents, I said WTH and tried Ohio Class SRA platforms under the speaker cables, and the result was stupidly good. Better extension on both extremes, body, dynamism, drama, everything. I do not know if anybody tried this before but it is definitely worthwhile.

I tried a similar experiment with pretty good results, so I have no doubt you hear improvements. In my case it was fairly subtle:

REF XL on a Vibraplane:
DSC_2351.JPG

REF XL on a DIY bubble wrap:
DSC_2206.JPG

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

at one point I owned 2 sets of Transparent Audio Opus MM speaker cables (yes, two sets of Opus MM speaker cables) when I was bi-amping my VR9SE's back in 2005-2006. later I did get the Evolution Acoustics MM3's and sell off one pair of the Opus MM speaker cables and then upgrade the remaining pair from Opus MM to MM2. and then I tried a set of Wave Kinetics A10-U8's under each Opus MM2 pod and it did really focus the sound dramatically. the effect blew me away.

so I completely agree with your experience. those Opus MM2 pods really respond to decoupling.

later I switched from the TA Opus MM2 to the Evolution Acoustics DRSC (double run speaker cables) and later upgraded to the TRSC (triple run speaker cables). before you spend money to upgrade your MM2 to V5 you should try and audition the TRSC. the Opus MM2 is a superb sounding speaker cable. but the TRSC might take you further (and put money in your pocket).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have TA RefXL SCs as well, and have a heavy Entreq Vibb Eater on top (about 12lbs) of each network box as well. It makes a very nice difference where certain choral music (my main test for clarity) becomes more understandable (actual words/lyrics).

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
oh great....i remember peter a's posts...now i gotta find a way to try this! ;)

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
at one point I owned 2 sets of Transparent Audio Opus MM speaker cables (yes, two sets of Opus MM speaker cables) when I was bi-amping my VR9SE's back in 2005-2006. later I did get the Evolution Acoustics MM3's and sell off one pair of the Opus MM speaker cables and then upgrade the remaining pair from Opus MM to MM2. and then I tried a set of Wave Kinetics A10-U8's under each Opus MM2 pod and it did really focus the sound dramatically. the effect blew me away.

so I completely agree with your experience. those Opus MM2 pods really respond to decoupling.

later I switched from the TA Opus MM2 to the Evolution Acoustics DRSC (double run speaker cables) and later upgraded to the TRSC (triple run speaker cables). before you spend money to upgrade your MM2 to V5 you should try and audition the TRSC. the Opus MM2 is a superb sounding speaker cable. but the TRSC might take you further (and put money in your pocket).

i am aware of the weaknesses of the transparents; slightly rolled of highs, slight emphasis on midrange& midbass, lack of ultimate resolution and attack. overall a good set of compromises i thought at the time and in all fairness did not pay much attention to the new developments in the dreamy world of cabling since i acquired them in 2009.
i attempted to try schnerzinger but they would not even pass me an offer. tried some other well known brands (wont name them) and thought they were disasters. I will add Evolution Acoustics to my shortlist but they do not have a huge presence over here in Europe and I do not buy without hearing any more

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
jfrech,

how are the gen v interconnects compared to regular mm2? thanks in advance

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
jfrech,

how are the gen v interconnects compared to regular mm2? thanks in advance

They are clearly better...more resolution, even blacker backgrounds, more articulate in the bass and more airy in the highs...

robb

Nov 8, 2014
Dallas Texas USA
I've never found the current MM 2 generation of Reference cables to be rolled off and lacking attack on my system. I am currently using a Bright Star small shelf under the Network boxes. Perhaps I will try them on top of the Networks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've never found the current MM 2 generation of Reference cables to be rolled off and lacking attack on my system. I am currently using a Bright Star small shelf under the Network boxes. Perhaps I will try them on top of the Networks.

+1 totally agree

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
hi robb & jfrech,

within the attack vs decay envelope they they most definitely favor decay, which is not a bad compromise, as I said. But sometimes one can miss the former in certain types of music. also,there is the overall roundness of the sound and midrange richness which I find very pleasing of course but again you can miss the bite factor or the ultimate treble extension. these are the cables that i bought, loved, tweaked and kept at the end. possibly i will upgrade them too. there are certain areas I would like to see improved. and i wanted to make a point of raising them.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Try Stillpoint 5's under your Transparent network boxes

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
hi robb & jfrech,

within the attack vs decay envelope they they most definitely favor decay, which is not a bad compromise, as I said. But sometimes one can miss the former in certain types of music. also,there is the overall roundness of the sound and midrange richness which I find very pleasing of course but again you can miss the bite factor or the ultimate treble extension. these are the cables that i bought, loved, tweaked and kept at the end. possibly i will upgrade them too. there are certain areas I would like to see improved. and i wanted to make a point of raising them.

Curious what model Transparent are you using? Sincere question...some of your perspective changes as you move up the line...and especially Gen 5

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
Curious what model Transparent are you using? Sincere question...some of your perspective changes as you move up the line...and especially Gen 5

opus mm2 as in the picture in the first post. and the interconnects.

robb

Nov 8, 2014
Dallas Texas USA
@ mcduman I don't know, but attack is also dependent on other components. Yet, I used to have Nordost upper end cables and that company touts them as being close to the speed of light. Yet when I switched to Transparent Reference MM2, the Transparent attack was way better. Percussion, drums, anything being hit exploded from the soundstage, similar to what one hears at a live event.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
@ mcduman I don't know, but attack is also dependent on other components. Yet, I used to have Nordost upper end cables and that company touts them as being close to the speed of light. Yet when I switched to Transparent Reference MM2, the Transparent attack was way better. Percussion, drums, anything being hit exploded from the soundstage, similar to what one hears at a live event.

+1 on Transparent vs my former Purist Audio Designs cables (which are VERY good btw)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yet when I switched to Transparent Reference MM2, the Transparent attack was way better. Percussion, drums, anything being hit exploded from the soundstage....

Yes, I experienced this too with my REF XL (MM2), but they retained a very even tonal balance which I really like. I'm sure the newer generation is even better though. Transparent has a funny reputation. Some people love the cables, and others think they are very flawed, sounding dark, slow, highly colored etc. I'm in the former camp.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
so boxes need boxes. ok. if Transparent's claim to fame is reduction in vibration/noise, this makes absolutely zero sense or isn't what the manufacturer intends.

number95

May 14, 2014
I concur using better isolation below Transparent networks make a quite dramatic impact. Lower noise floor, better tone color, crystal clear highs and better bass articulation (not stronger but clearer bass tones with much less artifacts). I first tried wooden blocks to keep the networks at a bit higher to floor, the net impact was arguably better but with reservations. Then decided to put Acapella bases (were spare at the time) this time much better with no ifs no buts. Unfortunately used to order a pair of SRA for the networks before trying Acapella, hope they raise the bar or are at least at par with Acapella. I will update this thread after SRA getting delivered.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I concur using better isolation below Transparent networks make a quite dramatic impact. Lower noise floor, better tone color, crystal clear highs and better bass articulation (not stronger but clearer bass tones with much less artifacts). I first tried wooden blocks to keep the networks at a bit higher to floor, the net impact was arguably better but with reservations. Then decided to put Acapella bases (were spare at the time) this time much better with no ifs no buts. Unfortunately used to order a pair of SRA for the networks before trying Acapella, hope they raise the bar or are at least at par with Acapella. I will update this thread after SRA getting delivered.

Interesting...everything seems to react to vibrations...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing