ethernet isolation

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
anyone have experience using an ethernet isolation device to clean up noise on the ethernet input to a streamer?

someone mentioned, on an audio website somewhere, that the devices are common on medical equipment to keep out noise.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Cat6man:

I will be getting the new SOtM ethernet "filter" from Jesus @ Sonore to try.

Curious, how does noise manifest itself on medical devices?

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
No real experience, but I assume that medical devices are detecting verylow level signals (ekg, etc), it is important to keep external sources of noise to a minimum.

By the way, do you have a link to the SoTM filter?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
All Ethernet ports are galvanic isolated (transformer coupled)
This is simply part of the standard.
From memory, this will protect up to 1500V
The medical world is a bit like the military, extremely high standards because you never know.
If you look at companies like Baaske you will find isolators with a protection up to 10 kV
Protection against high voltage is probably not equivalent with protection against "noise"

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013
I use GISO lan isolator from modem to the switch. The sound is clearer now. I've tried from switch to the Vivaldi Upsampler but the sound tourned out a little sibilant.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
anyone have experience using an ethernet isolation device to clean up noise on the ethernet input to a streamer?

someone mentioned, on an audio website somewhere, that the devices are common on medical equipment to keep out noise.

And how do you propose to clean up from Streamer to Dac? How do you get clean signal to i2S internally in the Dac?

I think the Sonore Signature Rendu is on the right track, cleaning where its most critical....the handshake between transport and dac.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
And how do you propose to clean up from Streamer to Dac? How do you get clean signal to i2S internally in the Dac?

I think the Sonore Signature Rendu is on the right track, cleaning where its most critical....the handshake between transport and dac.

Agree.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
i look forward to hearing your conclusions.

maslak34

try acoustic revive lan isolator and cable... works the magic

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing