HELP! Seeking the VERY best GPS unit under $300!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I get lost driving in a straight line..my Garmin just **** the bed...

Any suggestions on a really good portable GPS unit for around $300 or less?

Thanks!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I get lost driving in a straight line..my Garmin just **** the bed...

Any suggestions on a really good portable GPS unit for around $300 or less?

Thanks!

Why would you buy one when you can use your smart phone

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have not looked at the for a few years after adopting to smartphone but at the time the Garmin touchscreen units were fantastic. Very responsive and very reliable. Was yours a touchscreen that went bad?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have not looked at the for a few years after adopting to smartphone but at the time the Garmin touchscreen units were fantastic. Very responsive and very reliable. Was yours a touchscreen that went bad?

Hi Amir:

Actually the one that just died was a touch screen Garmin. Agree it was very good. I don't mind another Garmin.

What I find frustrating is the model churn, from all the manufacturers, it is hard to keep up.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to directions, because I just can't anywhere without them. ;):D

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Hi Amir:

Actually the one that just died was a touch screen Garmin. Agree it was very good. I don't mind another Garmin.

What I find frustrating is the model churn, from all the manufacturers, it is hard to keep up.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to directions, because I just can't anywhere without them. ;):D

I'm like you in that regard. I have a Garmin that I bought last year at Wal-Mart for $130. It's easier to use than a phone GPS app, or the one built into my wife's car. It is also very accurate with free map upgrades for life, so it's a no-brainer, in my opinion.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm like you in that regard. I have a Garmin that I bought last year at Wal-Mart for $130. It's easier to use than a phone GPS app, or the one built into my wife's car. It is also very accurate with free map upgrades for life, so it's a no-brainer, in my opinion.

I totally agree ..the phone is a phone... I prefer a dedicated device...not to mention gps kills the battery.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, agree with the Garmin advice. OTOH, you could trade in your car and get a new one with Sat-Nav, LOL. The female voice on most of these is almost worth the price of entry IME;) Plus you never have to wonder where the heck you left the darn Garmin in the first place:D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The GPS on the phone has one small advantage - it will re-route you (in real time) around trouble/traffic jams/etc. The couple of times I've ignored the phone telling me to get off the highway when I knew that I still had a long way to go, I've lived to regret it. Once you've tried something like Waze, you'll never look back.

The disadvantage of the GPS on the phone is that where there is no coverage, you're essentially lost. So, when I know that I won't be in urban areas, I will carry my Garmin as well as my phone.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I too use two. Garmin and smartphone simultaneously. Hands free driving at it's safest level possible when "life" gets in the way.

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, agree with the Garmin advice. OTOH, you could trade in your car and get a new one with Sat-Nav, LOL. The female voice on most of these is almost worth the price of entry IME;) Plus you never have to wonder where the heck you left the darn Garmin in the first place:D

Ha, hey Davey, yes those voices are something else! My lease is up in May..so I will be shopping!

Actually I never take the Garmin out of the car..

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The GPS on the phone has one small advantage - it will re-route you (in real time) around trouble/traffic jams/etc. The couple of times I've ignored the phone telling me to get off the highway when I knew that I still had a long way to go, I've lived to regret it. Once you've tried something like Waze, you'll never look back.

The disadvantage of the GPS on the phone is that where there is no coverage, you're essentially lost. So, when I know that I won't be in urban areas, I will carry my Garmin as well as my phone.

Waze is good..but it always worries me when I see people driving while holding their phones..

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Waze is good..but it always worries me when I see people driving while holding their phones..

When you rent a car, you don't have much of a choice of how to mount your phone. However, every car so far has a dashboard, and something like this works well. With a cellphone, I also sometimes just put it in front of the speedometer. Never hold your phone while driving.

Cellphone holder.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Garmins are great on the open road but enter places with lots of tall buildings and they go haywire. Happened in downtown SF and in NYC.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
My Garmins are great on the open road but enter places with lots of tall buildings and they go haywire. Happened in downtown SF and in NYC.

That's the other advantage with the cellphone GPS systems - they use not only GPS satellite, but also wifi and cell-tower information, plus the acceleration sensors keep you on track even in a loooooonnng underground tunnel.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
When you rent a car, you don't have much of a choice of how to mount your phone. However, every car so far has a dashboard, and something like this works well. With a cellphone, I also sometimes just put it in front of the speedometer. Never hold your phone while driving.

View attachment 18616

I must say this looks good.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
In Europe TomTom wins hands down due to High Definition traffic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing