Learning from Other Members with Seriously Awesome Systems...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
WBF,

Is there any way we might privately be able to invite/ask a few members to profile their systems...and allow members to really dig in and ask questions about them? I find the most valuable learning is from other members whose systems are where i want to go...or where i 'think' i want to go...but with the cost and time involved in getting there...i often find ASKING first from those seriously experienced audiophiles can save me a lot of time and money.

Honestly, this is a tough one since people have to volunteer and/or be invited. I have a few names i will PM you directly if people think this is a good idea. Personally, i really enjoy digging into SOTA systems put together by other experienced audiophiles...learning how they got there...what other equipment they may have had in the past...and why they have moved on to where they are now...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I guess there's no need for me to clear out my inbox then. :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think i have learned the most from well-conceived setups (regardless of budget or anything else)...isolation, tweaks, placement of speakers, addition of subs or multiple subs...these are the things in super-well setup up reference systems (again at any budget) where i have repeatedly gone back and asked questions of the owners and really learned about where i want to go...and/or how i might get there on my own...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You know I was only kidding right? You left me an opening and I couldn't resist.

And I think it would be great if members at the very least would indicate their system in their signature if they don't want to fill out their profile.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I know that was said in jest, but there is ALWAYS someone above and below the ladder regarding each others systems. I second the suggestion. If we could look at each others systems in a chat room, and ask when we are considering a component one has or the synergism (or lack of), it would save a lot of time and money. For instance, I considered an Oracle Paris as one of my new analog components, but there is no dealer to listen to locally. I had a Delphi 2 in the 80s but no guarantees of how the Paris sounds in my system. I ended up ordering a Sota Nova, mainly because I know what a great service Kirk and Donna offer from experience in the past, BUT I would have seriously considered a Paris had I had the chance to privately discuss with other members in a private system oriented forum.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know that was said in jest, but there is ALWAYS someone above and below the ladder regarding each others systems. I second the suggestion. If we could look at each others systems in a chat room, and ask when we are considering a component one has or the synergism (or lack of), it would save a lot of time and money. For instance, I considered an Oracle Paris as one of my new analog components, but there is no dealer to listen to locally. I had a Delphi 2 in the 80s but no guarantees of how the Paris sounds in my system. I ended up ordering a Sota Nova, mainly because I know what a great service Kirk and Donna offer from experience in the past, BUT I would have seriously considered a Paris had I had the chance to privately discuss with other members in a private system oriented forum.

Great stuff...this is indeed what i was referring to...it really helps to have a chance to speak with someone 'who has been there' when you are thinking of trying something...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You know I was only kidding right? You left me an opening and I couldn't resist.

And I think it would be great if members at the very least would indicate their system in their signature if they don't want to fill out their profile.

Yes! And i am including your own system...which i have watched with great interesting since its quite significant changes over the last 12-18 months or so...it has been really interesting to watch those changes, and read your observations about WHAT those changes/improvements are.

For example, for me, having sometimes toyed with the idea of going big Genesis, it has been helpful to see some level of confirmation that they are in fact doing for other members what i think they will do in our system at home...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes! And i am including your own system...which i have watched with great interesting since its quite significant changes over the last 12-18 months or so...it has been really interesting to watch those changes, and read your observations about WHAT those changes/improvements are.

For example, for me, having sometimes toyed with the idea of going big Genesis, it has been helpful to see some level of confirmation that they are in fact doing for other members what i think they will do in our system at home...

Well thank you kindly Lloyd!:) We can all learn from eachother, and if it wasn't for reading the various posts/threads of our SOTA-owning members I'd be less informed. The things I've learned have impacted my decisions and for that I'm grateful.

prerich

May 21, 2012
I guess there's no need for me to clear out my inbox then. :p
You?!!! For me - what's an inbox?!!! I'd be considered Wreck-it-Ralph and all the others would be the Nicelanders!!!! I'd be living in the dump LOL!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing