Top vintage turntables, which would you choose?

Which vintage table would you choose? Goldmund or Rockport?

• Goldmund Ref with T3F arm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rockport Serius II, with linear arm.

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Top vintage turntables, which would you choose?

These are both currently available on A'gon.

Rockport
or
Goldmund

I've always wanted to test a Rockport. I had a Goldmund Studio with the T3F arm and found that I preferred the Pierre Lurne J1 (pretty much the same table but belt drive).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Why not list more?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
This is a buy it now kind of question :) These tables are similar in design and fairly close in asking price.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Something's telling me the Goldmund is the one to get

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Love the look of that Goldmund. Very nice!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Rockport table cannot be classified as vintage as they were still selling it 15 years ago

Of the two, I would take Rockport1

Edit,
I mistook it as the Sirius 111. I might take the Goldmund now. Perhaps even better, the Micro Seiko SX111FV :D

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure I use to own that particular Rockport Sirius II. I purchased a Chroma power supply for the Sirius II just like that one. I sold the Sirius II with the Chroma power supply in 2002 after I purchased the Sirius III.

having not heard the Goldmund it's hard to pick one. I'd say if the Rockport is operating optimally that it's 'more special' sounding.

there is a large performance difference between the Sirius II, and the Sirius III.....yet the II has that 'magic' for sure.

that particular Sirius II was originally sold new in 1992-1994; so it's at least 20 years old.

it's actually a Sirius II; Limited Edition (Sirius 2.5). I'm trying my best to recall what made it a limited edition; I think it had to do with the weight of the plinth, and the stainless cover over the belt (reduced mechanical noise). but I'm not sure. at one point I knew all the details. it's a bitch getting old. the 2.5 was Andy's final push at making the ultimate tt before he went all-in with the III with direct drive, air bearing and vacuum. I remember when I first got the 2.5 working properly how I was simply blown away by how it made great music. such authority and musical flow compared to anything else I had heard up to that point.

Last edited:

mmakshak

May 1, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
Memory

I'm pretty sure I use to own that particular Rockport Sirius II. I purchased a Chroma power supply for the Sirius II just like that one. I sold the Sirius II with the Chroma power supply in 2002 after I purchased the Sirius III.

having not heard the Goldmund it's hard to pick one. I'd say if the Rockport is operating optimally that it's 'more special' sounding.

there is a large performance difference between the Sirius II, and the Sirius III.....yet the II has that 'magic' for sure.

that particular Sirius II was originally sold new in 1992-1994; so it's at least 20 years old.

it's actually a Sirius II; Limited Edition (Sirius 2.5). I'm trying my best to recall what made it a limited edition; I think it had to do with the weight of the plinth, and the stainless cover over the belt (reduced mechanical noise). but I'm not sure. at one point I knew all the details. it's a bitch getting old. the 2.5 was Andy's final push at making the ultimate tt before he went all-in with the III with direct drive, air bearing and vacuum. I remember when I first got the 2.5 working properly how I was simply blown away by how it made great music. such authority and musical flow compared to anything else I had heard up to that point.

Memory might not be as age-related as you think, Mike, as people in their early 40's are talking to each other about their memory loss.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have no idea what these tables sound like but since you had the Studio Peter, I think you already know the Goldmund is ahead at least in ergonomics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing