Stillpoints versus Spikes-An Experiment

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Both the Ultra SS and latest Ultra 5 version can be used with spikes we have made specifically for that purpose. The Ultra 5 spike fits into the 1/2-20 tap on the beveled side. Or, you can order the Ultra SS spike and use it in the 1/4-20 tap of the flat side of the Ultra 5. The Ultra SS spike can be used in either end of the Ultra SS.

John
But how would I anchor that to the speaker? They are not heavy enough to keep from sliding on the flat side of the Stillpoints?

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
But how would I anchor that to the speaker? They are not heavy enough to keep from sliding on the flat side of the Stillpoints?

You would attach the Ultra SS or Ultra 5 to the speaker using one of our 1/4-20 to ?? adapters. Do I understand your question correctly?

John

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
John,

My Ultra SS's have a threaded hole only the flat bottom, and not on the other side, so I cannot use an adapter on one side and a spike on the other.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints Ultra SS

John,

My Ultra SS's have a threaded hole only the flat bottom, and not on the other side, so I cannot use an adapter on one side and a spike on the other.

Yes, you can use both ends by removing the Hard Hat from the non-flat end. Doing so exposes the 'pad' covering the technology pocket. The pad has 1/4-20 tap that can be used either with an adapter or the spike. Our experience tells us best performance is likely achieved by using the pad end up to the component, implying you attach the adapter in the pad and the spike in the flat end.

I am doing exactly this under my Shunyata products. The only difference is that I have Ultra Bases attached to the flat end as I have a hard surface in my listening room and don't need spikes. I use our 8/32 to 1/4-20 adapter in the pad end to attach the Ultra SS to the component.

John

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Ah, the joys and pains of setting up stats.

It never ceases to amaze me how incremental changes in the positioning of my Acoustats can make them sound so different.

I guess I am an audiophile, because I have always preferred to raise the back of my speaker so that there is less of a slant.

I've gone back and forth,part of me says the back slope(,the way they were intended to be used )may help with taming the treble,or something like that is stated in the manual.

So now, after reading this, I will raise the rear of the speaker.

Then after awhile I'll forget what it was like in the stock position,so I'll switch again.

It's still cheaper than buying new gear when you feel like you need a change.

nile49

Feb 12, 2015
John,

Do we order the the SS spikes directly from Stillpoints or do we need to go through a dealer? Also can you give a price on those?

Thanks, Warren

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
John,

Do we order the the SS spikes directly from Stillpoints or do we need to go through a dealer? Also can you give a price on those?

Thanks, Warren

Hi Warren, you have to order through a dealer as we do not sell direct. $20 retail/spike, regardless Ultra SS or Ultra 5 spike.

John

nile49

Feb 12, 2015
Thanks for the info John.

One more question though

How much taller is the spike than the hard hat?

Smokeyjoec

Aug 18, 2017
Hi, I was wondering if someone on this thread can help me. The Montis comes with 4 footers and screwed into each of them are either a spike or a hard rubber rounded foot. To make perpendicular I read they removed the whole footer in the front and back (how is that done?). I tried by hand and could not remove?? Am I missing something? They then replaced the rear footer with a stillpoint SS with spikes? I would really love to try but I'm at odds getting the footers removed. I also email ML support and they did not recommend nor tell me how to remove the footers.. please help..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing