Streaming FLAC - does anything upstream matter?

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Up until recently, I've been streaming FLAC from jriver directly from the computer to my DAC via USB. I don't have room to make the computer aesthetically appealing in the front end, so I had a 5M USB cable running from the computer and snaking around the front end. I recently picked up an Amazon Fire TV and started tinkering with wireless streaming. The results I got were better than I expected: there was no discernible difference between the USB vs. wireless streaming.

I now use an Amazon Fire Stick ($40), allowing me to eliminate an HDMI cord since my HDACC has an HDMI input, and I'm still getting no discernible differences in SQ from before. This has piqued my curiosity. Is there anything that matters before the signal is sent to the streamer/DAC as long as the signal can pass unhindered?

Right now, I'm thrilled with the performance of my streamer/DAC combo. SQ has actually improved due to a lowered the noise floor from relocating the computer to another room.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
YMMV, but in testing some equipment these past few months, i found that streaming WAV sounded much better than streaming FLAC (yes, i know bits are bits).
the difference was so large that my co-evaluator and i quickly agreed that we would do no more evaluations with FLAC and I've since converted my entire music collection (>40k tracks) to WAV for streaming in the house.

System:
music files on Netgear NAS, gigabit LAN running Logitech squeezefox server to Sonore streamer in LMS mode (aka squeezebox client), Sonore powered by battery option.
Sonore streamer to TotalDAC D1-dual.
the difference is immediately and repeatedly obvious on all my evaluation test tracks, folk (John Renbourn, Fairport Convention), classical (Mahler, Ramirez), pop (Beach Boys), rock (Bonnie Raitt, Zappa) , jazz (Basie, Ellington) and audiophile favorites (Belafonte, Alison Krauss).

Why? Who knows at this point. A recent series of articles in the audio mags discussed quasi-objective methods of assessing sound quality differences and an interested footnote in one of the articles noted that the difference between FLAC and WAV, which was quite large, went away with a later version of JRiver software. So there seems still to be some tweaking related to streaming/jitter/buffering/noise and everyone's setup could have different limiting factors.
At this time, I prefer to have my streamer non-integrated with my DAC as advances are certainly underway as we start to understand the what/how/why of digital streaming............and of course, each DAC has its own sensitivity to jitter, etc so it isn't clear to me that there is a single root cause or silver bullet.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I also prefer a seperate streamer next to the DAC instead of both options combined in one machine. I am constantly building and tweaking streamer-pc's for the last 3 years and arrived to the following configuration. 2 underclocked/undervolted fully passively cooled small pc's without any mechanical moving parts in them. One SSD for the music, one compact flash card reader with a upgraded clock module for the OS. Both are battery powered. For the pc's itself (mobo and cpu) I use a fully linear PSU, which is dual rail. Allmost every modification made it sound nicer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing