If you had to build a $5000 (digital only) system, what would you select?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I guess secondhand would be the way to maximise bang for the buck.

Assume a laptop or PC to play FLAC/AIFF files is already available.

Something pleasing - full-range, transparent with good tone and decent resolution. Hifi trickery not expected at this price point, just a good solid system.

Would be interested to hear some of the creative ideas here :).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guess secondhand would be the way to maximise bang for the buck.

Assume a laptop or PC to play FLAC/AIFF files is already available.

Something pleasing - full-range, transparent with good tone and decent resolution. Hifi trickery not expected at this price point, just a good solid system.

Would be interested to hear some of the creative ideas here :).

Based on early reports (not reviews) you can do quite well with the DeVialet Phantom. Full range system. Integrated system (DAC, Full range speakers, ampifiers, Wifi streaming,etc). All yo need to do is plug them in an electrical outlet... Of course later you may need to add room treatments .

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Peachtree Nova220 and Vortex VR-22s. That leaves a grand for cables. Kidding Frantz! LOL! Well, you'll have a grand left for whatever. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Peachtree Nova220 and Vortex VR-22s. That leaves a grand for cables. Kidding Frantz! LOL! Well, you'll have a grand left for whatever. :)

Wine, woman and song! :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

I have not heard the PEachtree but I do also have a liking for VS speakers in general. The VR 22 is a very good entry to the High End Audio World IMO.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like it too. Lucky are the US based folks because it is a factory direct model. It is sort of a modern day A25 except that it is a floorstander. Good news so no need to spend on stands. It also likes being placed really close to walls. As in 6" to 8"s. That frees up a whole lot of realestate without sacrificing imaging. Goes really low too. It's an odd little speaker because placement is so unconventional but dang it's good.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Johnny's sounds more fun, 'cept I'm not single :D

Agreed, and me neither!

To answer the question, I'm having lots of fun with a Wadia 151 Powerdac in a second system, but the day I put it on my Kharmas was eye-opening. 4k or thereabouts for some good, second-hand, easy-to-drive speakers (like said Kharmas for example) with a $500 Wadia 151 and you've got a great-sounding simple system right there.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Agreed, and me neither!

To answer the question, I'm having lots of fun with a Wadia 151 Powerdac in a second system, but the day I put it on my Kharmas was eye-opening. 4k or thereabouts for some good, second-hand, easy-to-drive speakers (like said Kharmas for example) with a $500 Wadia 151 and you've got a great-sounding simple system right there.

Missed the 151, yeah I'd like to hear one for sure.

In the living and dining room I opted to go with integrateds and small speakers fed via SONOS instead of piping in music the traditional way. I use Bel Canto S300iu with Duevel Planets chosen for their Omni (read non-obtrusive) sound. I did use the S300 to burn in a pair of Unifield Ones before bringing the speakers to a show. Darned good DAC/AMP too. I wonder how its replacement the C5i sounds. That would be a candidate as well at also $2,000. There's a guy here who uses the older S300s with Maggie MG12s. Nice Sound. DOes Maggie still make the 12? That's another pairing with promise.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oooh oooh! We used to represent this company until they decided to go internet sales only. Dissolved business relationship not-withstanding. I can still recommend this combo to non-fussy audio types.

LSA Standard Amp + LSA1 Statement Monitors. Might have enough room for a Dragonfly or an LH Geek Out DAC.

The Standard is a modder's dream. Pop the hood and you can play with tubes or you can very easily swap out the cheapo Auricaps with your choice of Couplers. I went with Mundorfs but it looks like it has room for Jupiters and the like. Maybe I'll give that a try. The system in our rest house is anchored on my personal modded Standard. I recommend it for people who like a full (if somewhat dark) sounding presentation. The LSA1 Statement speakers which use ribbons brings back some of the lost air.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
My rig fits that bill nicely. The beauty with the Usher 6311's is that they offer a very easy load, opening the door to your choice of amplification. If I could change something, I'd probably switch to a Chord Qute2 DAC and a passive preamp, but the monoblocks and cabling mesh very well with the system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maggie MMG + Sub
2nd hand Oppo 83 (Modd'd)
2nd hand Luxman, Krell integrated (given Jack's LSA comments, there is a 2nd hand LSA integrated on AGon that fits the price bill too)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Maggie MMG + Sub
2nd hand Oppo 83 (Modd'd)
2nd hand Luxman, Krell integrated (given Jack's LSA comments, there is a 2nd hand LSA integrated on AGon that fits the price bill too)

I second having a planar at a lower budget because they give you so much value for money. Oppo with Krell, or an used dac like electrocompaniet with a built-in pre, connected to a used Job 225, or Parasound.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Never mind the MMG. For just over a grand one can get the .7 which basically replaces the MG 12. Less money to spend on John's stuff though. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Never mind the MMG. For just over a grand one can get the .7 which basically replaces the MG 12. Less money to spend on John's stuff though. :D

Hmmm...I'd have to rethink that! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Good to know...with a 2nd hand sub and a good modd'd Oppo (2nd hand), that still leaves enough to get a solid integrated (2nd hand).

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
KEF LS50, NAD 356 BEE integrated, and OPPO 105D. Cost without cables and other ancillary stuff. $3,600.

Recently recommended to a friend and listened to it briefly. Poor setup / not broken in.

Pretty dam good. And upgradable. Sub, stands, vibration attenuation devices, amp, etc.

Great for small spaces, and with upgrades, can perform in a larger listening room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing